BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Ordering M550i with 20" Wheels - No All Seasons?

10-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Ordering M550i with 20" Wheels - No All Seasons?

I just ordered an M550i and I think/hope it should go into the system later today. However, based on my reading online and this forum, the RFTs I will get will be a mystery brand (Pirelli, Goodyear, other?) but they will be summer tires and not all season. I don't see a way to specific the tires (other than RFT vs not).

I'd be taking delivery in the winter.. so does this make any sense? Is it accurate to say everyone who takes delivery with 20" wheels gets summer tires on their vehicle? I think this means I have to buy separate tires for the winter, no? What do people in upstate NY, Michigan, etc do? Does everyone instantly buy new tires? Am I wrong or crazy here? I can't imagine every purchaser would realize this and seems like it's just a bunch of wrecks waiting to happen? Do the dealerships disallow test drives of lots cars with these wheels in the slightlest of inclement weather for a quarter of the year? Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
cosmoxi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

Hey Crypto. Congrats on the new order! I currently have the 20" Pilot Super Sport non run flats on the my 2018 M550. I live in central NJ. To answer a few of your questions, yes I have a second set of winter tires/ wheel (19" Michelin X-Ice). I took delivery in mid November and had the winters installed the next day at a tire shop (had been pre-ordered). Under 40 degrees the summer tires are hard and do not have good traction.
It's been my personal experience that the 20" inch wheels are easy to damage. I had to replace 3 tires and repair a wheel in 3 years/ 24k miles. I also have a 2021 M550 on order but I am going with the 19 inch all season tires. I would love a 19" non runflat option but thats not available.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoxi View Post
Hey Crypto. Congrats on the new order! I currently have the 20" Pilot Super Sport non run flats on the my 2018 M550. I live in central NJ. To answer a few of your questions, yes I have a second set of winter tires/ wheel (19" Michelin X-Ice). I took delivery in mid November and had the winters installed the next day at a tire shop (had been pre-ordered). Under 40 degrees the summer tires are hard and do not have good traction.
It's been my personal experience that the 20" inch wheels are easy to damage. I had to replace 3 tires and repair a wheel in 3 years/ 24k miles. I also have a 2021 M550 on order but I am going with the 19 inch all season tires. I would love a 19" non runflat option but thats not available.
Thanks for the feedback. This is what I figured must be the case but yeah.. seems like an oddball thing. Let me ship you something you shouldn't drive when it arrives. For my truck I have a winter set of wheels with Blizzaks (overkill for sure but why not). Have been debating to get a second set of wheels or just swap tires but I have a garage full of wheels LOL. Not sure I have space or my wife will put up with more.

I still have my 19" MORR VS8.2's from my old 2010 535xi collecting dust. Anyone got an old XDrive E60 they need staggered rims for? LOL.. maybe I'll go visit the classifieds...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Just put an order in for a 2021 M550i as well, should arrive in late Dec. or early Jan, and I picked the 845m 19" wheels with all season run-flat tires. Wouldn't that suffice for most people in the Tri-State area / NE? (I'm in NYC)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
MrElussive
Rep
Drives: MINI

crypto, once you drive off their lot, you are not the dealership's problem. They will deliver you the car you ordered. You can either buy yourself a set of winter tires, or just don't drive on snowy days.

hoyas, I'm in Northern NJ and AWD+all-seasons in our area is more than enough. I would be more concerned with the potholes we have going on.
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      11-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

Took delivery of mine with 668s and max performance non rf summers. Had 19s at home with xice3 ready to go on. If you live somewhere where you get snow this is what you do. Been doing it for years. Under 40 degrees you need to ditch the summers. I just switched both bmws to winters on sunday. You want max summer grip to have fun you have to have winter package too.
      11-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

If you live somewhere that gets below freezing, best to switch from ultra high performance summer tires. They turn into hockey pucks in the winter even without rain/snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #8
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
If you live somewhere that gets below freezing, best to switch from ultra high performance summer tires. They turn into hockey pucks in the winter even without rain/snow.
Thanks and that's my plan but basically for a bunch of places in the US and around the world you're looking at 2-4 months where this applies to any of these Bimmers being bought with 20" wheels. Just seems odd to me.

What do January test drives look like? Do they play YouTube for you instead? Or do they say — hey these wheels are super unsafe but let me get a quick look at that insurance card? 😀
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #9
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

I live in the Midwest and get roughly 20inches or less snow per year. It does get very cold though. My m550i will be arriving in late January with 20" perf run flats.

I plan to buy a set of ultra high perf all seasons to throw on it for a chunk of the year, and swap out the run flats during the summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerflakes View Post
I live in the Midwest and get roughly 20inches or less snow per year. It does get very cold though. My m550i will be arriving in late January with 20" perf run flats.

I plan to buy a set of ultra high perf all seasons to throw on it for a chunk of the year, and swap out the run flats during the summer.
Let me know what you are looking at. I've been reading through some of the threads and have some ideas. I've come to the conclusion I'll do the same. Originally was looking at another set of wheels but I did order my car with the space saver spare and will probably just change to All seasons (non-RFT) right away. I'm not looking at winter tires, as I have a truck I'd drive in legit inclement weather (eg snow/sleet/ice).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #11
Beerflakes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2021 M550i (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Let me know what you are looking at. I've been reading through some of the threads and have some ideas. I've come to the conclusion I'll do the same. Originally was looking at another set of wheels but I did order my car with the space saver spare and will probably just change to All seasons (non-RFT) right away. I'm not looking at winter tires, as I have a truck I'd drive in legit inclement weather (eg snow/sleet/ice).
I'm going with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ for my all-seasons. I had them on my 2SS Camaro 'Vert and they did pretty well through the winter, so sticking with them!

Michelin currently has a promotion on them, though the rear sizes seem to be out of stock everywhere. I've ordered the front via TireRack ($70 rebate) and will pick up the rear later on.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
pachman65
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5501

Wheels and tires

I am ordering a new M550, I live in SE Florida so other than rain, the weather/temperature isn't a factor. Was leaning towards the 20 inch double spoke non run flat tires. I love the rims but concerned about ride comfort and ease of damage to the rims. For the 19 inch wheels I'd select the MY spoke bi color, performance run flats. The rest of the car will have the executive package, bowers stereo and dynamic handling. Any thoughts about the wheels, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #13
cosmoxi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

I have driven both. 2018 with the 20” Pilots and currently on 2021 with 19” sport run flats. I feel that the ride and performance are very similar for daily driving. I did have to replace 4 tires and repair one rim in 3 years with the 20” s. I would lean toward the 19” unless you need every last bit of performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 08:34 PM   #14
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoxi View Post
I have driven both. 2018 with the 20" Pilots and currently on 2021 with 19" sport run flats. I feel that the ride and performance are very similar for daily driving. I did have to replace 4 tires and repair one rim in 3 years with the 20" s. I would lean toward the 19" unless you need every last bit of performance.
I took delivery of my 550 a few weeks ago and immediately (before I took possession ) swapped out of the Pirelli summer tires. I put the new tires on the 668M 20" factory rims. I still have possession of the summer tires and will likely put them back late spring. We will see. I opted for Ultra High performance all season tires. It came down to the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus. Reviews for both have been very good, and I had good experience with the Michelin A/S 3s on my Audi S6. Based on my research it seems the new Michelins will have a slightly harsher ride but a little more sporty, but a good all season tire. I chose the Conti given the state of the roads in Chicago area and the perception that I needed a little more forgiveness, especially with the 20" rims.
Appreciate 0