BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions ZF transmission

10-31-2020, 05:19 AM   #1
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

ZF transmission

I'm curious how different the ZF is from a F10 m550 to a g30 m550? As far as shifting it with paddles, is it faster? Is it more like a dct?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Not as fast as the DCT. I do like the ZF, however. I always used to drive my M4 in Drivelogic 2, because I liked the way the DCT would stay in gear in traffic, and minimize the need to brake, etc. However, the ZF, with the shift lever moved to the left, even in comfort mode, mimics the DCT in Drivelogic 2 very well, and I use that most of the time. Stays in gear longer, rev matches during downshifts with heavy braking, etc. But it is not as fast in manual as the DCT. However, both transmissions, IMHO, are better than me, so I rarely use manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:27 AM   #3
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Not as fast as the DCT. I do like the ZF, however. I always used to drive my M4 in Drivelogic 2, because I liked the way the DCT would stay in gear in traffic, and minimize the need to brake, etc. However, the ZF, with the shift lever moved to the left, even in comfort mode, mimics the DCT in Drivelogic 2 very well, and I use that most of the time. Stays in gear longer, rev matches during downshifts with heavy braking, etc. But it is not as fast in manual as the DCT. However, both transmissions, IMHO, are better than me, so I rarely use manual.
Gotcha, just really curious how different it is from the ZF in the older f10 m550i
Appreciate 0