BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Upload Apple Maps to iD7

09-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Upload Apple Maps to iD7

This issue may have been covered in the past, but I was unable to find a solution. For years, I have created routes offline, that could be uploaded to a GPS. I appreciate that today BMW map-in-the-cloud routing does an excellent job, just not the job I want. If you are looking at going from point A to B, no problem. I like to generate a route in something like Google Maps where the fastest route from point A to B is not the route desired. Often I will establish a trip where I make intermediate stops, or take out of the way side trips to explore an interesting road. Unfortunately Google Maps no longer supports the "send to car" function that it had in the past. I have a 2023 M550i with the BMW map software as well as Apple Carplay. I see that with iOS 16, Apple has implemented routing with multiple intermediate points, so that I could create a route with the desired alternate path that I want to take. Is there a method to send an Apple Map route to the iD7 system in the BMW? I know that I could create four different destinations, and then select them in the sequence desired to achieve a full day trip, but I would much rather create a file with the desired routing, and then send it to the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Anyone, anyone, Buehler?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Currently, BMW’s app doesn’t support sending “Trips” to the car. The old app supported sending two destinations to create a trip, but the My BMW app doesn’t support this functionality. Perhaps it is coming in a future update. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Currently, BMW’s app doesn’t support sending “Trips” to the car. The old app supported sending two destinations to create a trip, but the My BMW app doesn’t support this functionality. Perhaps it is coming in a future update. We shall see.
Thanks for the input. I may play around creating a route in Apple Maps, and see if I can save to a thumb drive. Maybe it will be recognized when plugged into the USB port.

It just seems a shame to not be able to create a series of multi-route day trips offline, in something like Google Maps and upload them to the car. I can do it with Garmin Basecamp and my Garmin motorcycle GPS. Oh well, back to the drawing boards.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #5
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

iDrive 6 lets you send a route from Apple Maps to BMW Nav.

I imagine 7 does that too?

Can you save it as a calendar event?

Or does the entire 'Trips' thing as a multi-stop route not work?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquet View Post

Didn't realize that you could send an Apple Maps route to BMW Nav. I'll play with it a bit and see what I can make work. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I may just be missing something or not familiar enough with Apple Maps. I can create a multi-stop route using Apple Maps, but can't find a way to send it to the car or MyBMW app. If I pick a single destination, then there is a share button that allows me to send it to MyBMW. As soon as I add an additional stop (or waypoint), the ability to share it no longer exists. Oh well, it was worth a try. Appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

What happens when you just click start navigation? I didn't test with multiple waypoints but I 'send' my destination by starting it on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #9
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cero View Post
What happens when you just click start navigation? I didn't test with multiple waypoints but I 'send' my destination by starting it on the phone.
Picking a destination allows me to send that to the vehicle. If I add additional stops (new to iOS 16) to build a route, then the option to send it to the vehicle or email goes away. Picking a destination can easily be performed in the iDrive map software. Most GPS units are very good at taking you to a destination using either the most economical or fastest route. My frustration is that for years I have been building custom routes in software prior to going on a motorcycle trip, then uploading them to my Garmin GPS unit. I used to be able to do the same in Google Maps and use the "send to car" function, but that no longer exists, and was pretty hit and miss on routes vs destinations. Maybe I'm the only one that finds that in the world of high end GPS units, you can't build a custom route that takes you where YOU want to go, vs where the GPS wants to take you.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 05:18 PM   #10
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

That's disappointing - thank you for testing it out.

in idrive 6 (and I assume 7 too), there is the option to add intermediate destination... just wondering if once you send the trip from apple maps to bmw nav, is it possible to add an intermediate destination... it's not exactly straight-forward, but that's all i can think of right now
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's disappointing - thank you for testing it out.

in idrive 6 (and I assume 7 too), there is the option to add intermediate destination... just wondering if once you send the trip from apple maps to bmw nav, is it possible to add an intermediate destination... it's not exactly straight-forward, but that's all i can think of right now
Apple Maps was recently updated in iOS 16 to allow multiple stops or waypoints. Perhaps the next time Apple Maps is updated in Apple Carplay, I may be able to generate daily multi-stop routes right in the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      09-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #12
Ohnry
Rep
Drives: M340i x

Garage List
2020 M550i  [0.00]
hmm, another possible way: Use the carplay apple maps navigation. With ID7 you get tips in your instrument cluster and in your HUD. Not the "perfect BMW way", but a possible solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Boostmeister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohnry View Post
hmm, another possible way: Use the carplay apple maps navigation. With ID7 you get tips in your instrument cluster and in your HUD. Not the "perfect BMW way", but a possible solution.
Carplay Apple Maps (unlike iOS16) doesn't allow you to input multiple stops or waypoints. Hopefully at the next software update to iDrive 7, Apple Maps will allow for the multiple waypoints.
Appreciate 0