BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Help with non-M Sport brakes - 2018 540i

07-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
scienceguy
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Help with non-M Sport brakes - 2018 540i

I am in the process of disassembling the front calipers of my 2018 540i so I can get them powder coated. My car has the non-M sport brakes mfd by ATE (the non-blue ones, obviously). But I am running into a big snag. The dust boots on the 4 pistons do not come out like they do on other calipers I've done in the past (1990 735i, 1995 M3, 2011 335i, 2013 535i). I was trying to remove one and the boot tore. So I have 2 questions:
1. Is there a source for a caliper repair kit (new boots and square seals) for the G30 non-M sport brakes? I see them for the M Sport brakes, and for older models, but not mine.
2. Is there some trick to getting the boots off? The usual push-a-pick-into-the-bottom-of-the-seal-and-pry-it-out trick doesn't work. They seem to be held in differently. Even with the seal torn (so I don't need to be as careful) I still can get the remaining bit out.

I'm hoping I didn't just turn my caliper into a brick. Any assistance you all can offer would be appreciated. My car is obviously out of commission until I get this sorted.
Appreciate 0