BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2021 M550i Tracking

06-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
HBEaker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2021 M550i Tracking

Adding my tracking info, for anyone interested. I think I may have gotten one of the last 2021 allocations for an M550.

2021 M550i
Shadowline
Black Sapphire Metallic
+Driving Assistance Plus
+Executive Package
+Parking Assistance
+Red calipers

Placed order on 5/13, and went back-and-forth a few times with the dealer, thinking we would need to wait for a 2022 allocation, but they surprised me on 5/31 with a production number. The only issue I had with the chip shortage is they removed the hands-free tailgate.

Here's my full tracking, so far:
- 5/13: Placed order
- 5/31: Received production number / Scheduled for production
- 6/8: Production Begins
- 6/17: Exterior Body Assembly Begins
- 6/17: In the Paint Booth
- 6/21: Entering Assembly Line
- 6/22: Assembly in Progress
- 6/22: Quality Check
- 6/22: Final Assembly
- 6/22: Ready for Transport
- 6/22: Awaiting Carrier Assignment
- 6/23: Dispatched from Factory
- 6/24: At the Port

I am going to accept delivery at the Performance Center in South Carolina, so am waiting for a confirmation on the date of that delivery. We had originally requested any time in the last week of July, so hopefully we're on track.

I have found the "BIMMERPOST Guide to Ordering and Tracking your BMW G30 5 Series" from Bmwguy11 an outstanding reference (thank you!). I'm sure I'm not the only one who checks the bmwusa tracking site multiple times per day. I'm a little disappointed in how frequently the site is not working. It also feels like sometimes they won't update for several days, then suddenly the vehicle moves through several steps. In my tracking above, a lot happened on 6/22, so I'm wondering if some of that actually happened in the days leading up to it, but they just didn't update the site until 6/22. Anyway, it was a happy day to see it move that far through the process!

I have been using www.marinetraffic.com to track the ARC Integrity. It left Bremerhaven on 6/26, and I am hoping that my car was able to get on it. That ship arrives in Charleston, SC on July 13, which I think would give them time to get it to the Performance Center and prep it. The next ship leaving Bremerhaven to Charleston looks like it would leave Bremerhaven on 7/6, and arrive in Charleston on 7/24, which might be pushing my delivery into August. I have read reports that the ports are backed up, so would not be surprised if my delivery was pushed back a boat or two. Keeping fingers crossed she made it on the Integrity!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #2
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BWM 530E

Congratulation on having it at Port. my 530E has been stuck in quality check since 6/18.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I just read the "STOP SALE" thread, and am hoping that our cars are not affected by that delay. It may end up in the VPC for longer if they need to address this. Obviously, I would rather wait a few weeks and get a car without issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:57 AM   #4
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I don't think your order would be affected by the stop sale since your car was produced weeks after the impacted timeline.

Also nice build. Very similar to mine. It'll look identical... a very sweet ride. 😎
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
RwdJesus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 g30 540i rwd

Did you make that boat? Has been a long wait at the port for many of us since Late April. Thread in the g80 sub had some guys in port for nearly 40 days before they did.

My 540i wasn't that unlucky, but it did take a while. Got to Bremerhaven on 6/3 and didn't make it onto a ship until the 25th (tracking didn't display in transit till 6/28). Nice to be out of limbo at least, and on Morning Carina. Gets to NY on 7/12. Fingers crossed it can be pick up on the 16th or 17th.

You (we) should be safe on the stop sale though. Supposedly only affects cars with build dates 5/7-5/20
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RwdJesus View Post
Did you make that boat?
Unfortunately, not yet. I keep checking!

My sales rep called me and he mentioned there was a recall that was holding things up. He specifically mentioned the 0-60 issue. I hope they aren't keeping my car until that particular fix is ready. I read in another forum that they aren't expecting that fix until as late as September! I'm also not sure why it's easier to flash firmware in the port in Bremerhaven (which looks like a parking lot with cars getting ready to board a ferry), instead of in the VPC. Pretty sure the VPC is able to handle these things.

Keeping fingers crossed!

BTW, did you know about the marinetraffic.com web site for ship tracking (it was in the pinned tracking thread). Here's a link to your Morning Carina: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...407592/zoom:14
(Appears your car is getting a scenic view of the port in Zeebrugge, Belgium, right now).

NOSNOW, I hope you got out of QA!

(and thanks and congrats, crypto)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Fenix33
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Mine was at the Port on 6/22, 6/29 it went to "In Transit". I'm on the Triton Leader headed to West Coast around 7/22. I don't think there are any delays because of firmware updates. Once it's at the port I imagine it's just waiting for the right ship. Probably any day now for you!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
StarrySky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M Sport / '21 M550i

Congratulations as well, mine has finally went into production on 6/14 and now has been stuck in Quality Check since 6/16.
It's been such a long wait for me, I've actually have been waiting since November of last year to get my car and haven't given up yet lol..

Hoping yours come before August!

Last edited by StarrySky; 06-30-2021 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #9
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Got an email from my salesman that my car is on a stop sale. :-(.

(see attached).

If I am tracking this right from the other posts... This looks like the 3rd stop sale in <3 months for G30s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:57 PM   #10
RwdJesus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 g30 540i rwd

Damn man. That sucks

If it really is just that software update, then thats such bullshit. They absolutely dont need to hold back cars for something that can be remote updated and is fine before the fix is pushed. Saw somewhere that it may be a RAM issue?

Good luck gents. This waiting gets so much worse after it leaves the factory.

Been using maritime optima app to track it OP. Free and seems like a great app. Been messing with it for the last couple days, investigating ship traffic for no good reason ever since. Lol. Thing even gives you iceberg maps, and emission control areas - All kinds of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #11
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
So, I'm a little confused by this, but my car status changed to "In Transit," today. I've reached out to my salesman for clarification (asking what boat, and also what the status is of the stop-sale). Not sure if it's going to get held up at the VDC for repairs, or what, but certainly happy to see things progressing!!

- 7/2: In Transit (8 days in port)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
Fenix33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBEaker View Post
So, I'm a little confused by this, but my car status changed to "In Transit," today. I've reached out to my salesman for clarification (asking what boat, and also what the status is of the stop-sale). Not sure if it's going to get held up at the VDC for repairs, or what, but certainly happy to see things progressing!!

If you call the BMW Genius number they can give you the ship name and when it's due to arrive. 1.844.4GENIUS (443-6487). They've been really helpful.

Seems yours is moving along at same pace as mine. In the middle of the Atlantic right now on the way to the Panama Canal. I believe the stop sale means it will be held at the VPC or dealership until the issue is resolved. Hopefully that's not the case I've been waiting since April on this car! My production began on June 1st.

Last edited by Fenix33; 07-06-2021 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #13
Fenix33
Rep

Quote:

I just was at the dealership. For my m550i there's a stop sale related to the parking cameras. You might be impacted by this one. There's also a notification regarding the 0-60 time, but that's not a hard stop like the camera one.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #14
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks, Fenix33!! I did reach out to both my dealer and BMW Genius. They told me I am on the Niagara Highway, scheduled to be at the VPC on 7/21. No further info on the stop-sale, but parking cameras sounds legit and would impact me. I'm hoping whatever the stop-sale is, it can be easily fixed in the VPC and not slow down delivery by much. Our original delivery at the Performance Center was to be the last week in July / 1st week in August, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one of those dates to get confirmed soon. I feel like those old "anticipation" commercials, waiting for the ketchup to come out of the bottle. ;-).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #15
Fenix33
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Fenix33!! I did reach out to both my dealer and BMW Genius. They told me I am on the Niagara Highway, scheduled to be at the VPC on 7/21. No further info on the stop-sale, but parking cameras sounds legit and would impact me. I'm hoping whatever the stop-sale is, it can be easily fixed in the VPC and not slow down delivery by much. Our original delivery at the Performance Center was to be the last week in July / 1st week in August, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one of those dates to get confirmed soon. I feel like those old "anticipation" commercials, waiting for the ketchup to come out of the bottle. ;-).
I hope so too! I'll post back if I hear any more information. Please do the same
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #16
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
It's been a while since I updated this post, and unfortunately not very good news...

My last update was:

I can now add to this:
- 7/20: At the Port (again - assuming in Charleston, SC) - after 18 days in transit.
- 7/26: In Transit (again - assuming transit to the Performance Center from Port) - after 6 days in Port.
- 7/29: At the Port (again - assuming "the Port" now means the VPC) - after 3 days in transit.
(and, so far... been 4 days at the VPC).

Unfortunately, it is still in a Stop Sale status, with no updates from the Performance Center on delivery date. My sales rep is calling them daily. I can't even go pay him, yet, since BMW Finance won't process a vehicle in a stop sale status.

Since I need to book a flight to the Performance Center (and schedule 2 days off work), I hate this waiting game. If it's gonna be 3-4 weeks, I wish they'd just tell me that so I can make arrangements and set my expectations. I thought I would have the car by now (so far, we're at 81 days, or >11 weeks since I put down a deposit, my sales rep originally estimated 6-8 weeks).

I certainly do not blame my sales rep for this global chip supply shortage, nor do I blame BMW. I'm just venting because I find the overall situation frustrating. I'm sure it's just as frustrating for them - BMW wants to deliver these cars (and get paid for them) quickly, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #17
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Looking in other forums, it looks like some MY22 cars are hitting the dealer floors, so I was curious what was different. I configured a new MY22 M550 as close to mine as I could, and noticed the following:
- The "Executive Package" is cheaper ($1,900 vs. $2,150). Digging deeper, I noticed that wireless charging is no longer available, as well as "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth." I had heard before that wireless charging was no longer available, but didn't notice before about Enhanced USB and Bluetooth. However, when I looked at the detailed configuration, it still included Enhanced USB and Bluetooth, so perhaps this is just now part of the base model, and no longer part of the Executive Package?
- The "Parking Assistance Package" is no longer offered ($800 option). This leads me to believe that the 3D surround cameras are constrained. I read in another forum about cars arriving at the dealer with holes where the cameras should be. I think BMW assumed the camera shortage would be resolved, so they shipped the cars from Germany without the cameras, hoping to install them in the VPC. They may be constrained longer than anticipated?

So, all in, the MY21 MSRP was $82,440, where the MY22 MSRP is $81,260 - so there are $1,180 worth of options that are no longer available (and presumably, the parts constraint may be what's holding up my car). These parts are:
- Parking Assistance Cameras
- Wireless Charging
- Enhanced USB/Bluetooth (though may be now included in base package)

On the detailed view, another difference it showed "Deletion of BMW Digital Key (S0322), -$80", so this may be another base option that has been constrained.

Both the '21 and '22 configs showed a credit of $100 to remove the Handsfree Tailgate Operation (S032X), so this apparently was already constrained when I configured my car, and is still constrained.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Quote:
- The "Parking Assistance Package" is no longer offered ($800 option). This leads me to believe that the 3D surround cameras are constrained. I read in another forum about cars arriving at the dealer with holes where the cameras should be. I think BMW assumed the camera shortage would be resolved, so they shipped the cars from Germany without the cameras, hoping to install them in the VPC. They may be constrained longer than anticipated?
Oh wow... a bunch of us were able to order the Parking Assistance Package successfully and the original configurator for the MY22 M550 had it available (but not lower trims e.g. 540) and it seems they've now removed it from the website - that includes the M5! They must really be constrained if you can't even spec it on M-series cars.

Edit: I spoke too soon, M5 includes PAP in the Executive Package, so there's still some parts lying around.

Last edited by malpatti; 08-03-2021 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #19
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking in other forums, it looks like some MY22 cars are hitting the dealer floors, so I was curious what was different. I configured a new MY22 M550 as close to mine as I could, and noticed the following:
- The "Executive Package" is cheaper ($1,900 vs. $2,150). Digging deeper, I noticed that wireless charging is no longer available, as well as "Enhanced USB and Bluetooth." I had heard before that wireless charging was no longer available, but didn't notice before about Enhanced USB and Bluetooth. However, when I looked at the detailed configuration, it still included Enhanced USB and Bluetooth, so perhaps this is just now part of the base model, and no longer part of the Executive Package?

So, all in, the MY21 MSRP was $82,440, where the MY22 MSRP is $81,260 - so there are $1,180 worth of options that are no longer available (and presumably, the parts constraint may be what's holding up my car). These parts are:
- Parking Assistance Cameras
- Wireless Charging
- Enhanced USB/Bluetooth (though may be now included in base package)

On the detailed view, another difference it showed "Deletion of BMW Digital Key (S0322), -$80", so this may be another base option that has been constrained.

Both the '21 and '22 configs showed a credit of $100 to remove the Handsfree Tailgate Operation (S032X), so this apparently was already constrained when I configured my car, and is still constrained.
Yeah, the removal of hands free and wireless charging was made clear to me prior to ordering. I had read about the camera parts shortage prior to ordering but it was still offered on the order sheet for the MY22s so I was assuming something was rectified and wouldn't be an issue for MY22s out of the factory and that the 21s would get them too, eventually. The Digital Key was also removed and I was notified about it prior to ordering since I think the NFC feature in the wireless charger was also responsible for using the Car Key feature on iPhones. I don't have an iPhone so that feature was going to be useless to me, too.

I too noticed the MY22s couldn't get the parking package on the BMW website but, again, the order sheet at the dealership still had it as an option and I was not cautioned about losing that feature by the salesman.

The Executive Package went down in price because of the credit for missing the wireless charging. I think the hands-free trunk was a standard feature and was still credited but did not affect the Executive package pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
Oh wow... a bunch of us were able to order the Parking Assistance Package successfully and the original configurator for the MY22 M550 had it available (but not lower trims e.g. 540) and it seems they've now removed it from the website - that includes the M5! They must really be constrained if you can't even spec it on M-series cars.

Edit: I spoke too soon, M5 includes PAP in the Executive Package, so there's still some parts lying around.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #20
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Ditto for me. I was able to get the parking package when I specked my 2022 550 with dealer even though it is not shown on website. Best I can tell I am only losing the digital key for which I got the $80 credit, the wireless charging with about a $200 credit, and the hands free trunk opening which was a $100 credit. Otherwise seems the same as the 2021, and mine is due in Baltimore port today. Hopefully no delays at the VDC before it gets trucked to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #21
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
UPDATE:
Vehicle in Performance Center was (finally) released from Stop-Sale status, and I have scheduled a delivery for next Monday (8/30)!!

Start-to-finish is as follows:

- 5/13: Placed order
- 5/31: Received production number / Scheduled for production
- 6/8: Production Begins
- 6/17: Exterior Body Assembly Begins
- 6/17: In the Paint Booth
- 6/21: Entering Assembly Line
- 6/22: Assembly in Progress
- 6/22: Quality Check
- 6/22: Final Assembly
- 6/22: Ready for Transport
- 6/22: Awaiting Carrier Assignment
- 6/23: Dispatched from Factory
- 6/24: At the Port (Germany)
- 7/20: At the Port (again - assuming in Charleston, SC) - after 18 days in transit.
- 7/26: In Transit (again - assuming transit to the Performance Center from Port) - after 6 days in Port.
- 7/29: At the Port (again - assuming "the Port" now means the VPC) - after 3 days in transit.
- 8/18: Released from stop-sale (this was not on the web site, but I got a phone call from my sales manager).
- 8/23: At the dealership.
- 8/30: Scheduled for delivery.

Total of 109 days, which is a lot longer than I had expected at the start, but I plan on owning this car a long time, so in the grand scheme of things, the delays were just a very temporary nuisance.

Thanks to all in these forums - you kept me sane. I enjoyed seeing you all get your cars delivered, and could relate to those of you experiencing delays. I will try to post some pictures next week after I accept delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
HBEaker
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
FINAL DELIVERY UPDATE.

I have accepted delivery at the performance center. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this option for anyone close enough to South Carolina to do it. It was a fantastic way to receive a really amazing car.

I feel like I made good choices in my car when we arrived at the performance center and my car is in the front lobby on display.

For all of my fellow stop-sale friends, I hope you all have as good an end to your journey as I did. Loving this car (for 1 whole day).

Now that delivery is complete and I'm no longer tracking, I will see you all on the other wonderful forums!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0