BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Why are cars allowed to go so fast?

08-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #45
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
We should have an autobahn here in the states, but also have better driver training. I think we should have different plates that indicate driving skill. If you are a better driver, you can go faster.
Autobahn won’t work in the US, the cars are built differently, most American cars over 10 years old wouldn’t even pass the German safety inspection. Don’t get me started on driver skills…
Most accidents (slow or fast) on the autobahn are rarely fatalities but stateside, a 59mph crash on average has 50-60% higher chance of being a fatality.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 4
Lady Jane70381.00
GuidoK10654.50
wrickem2101.00
      08-02-2021, 02:55 AM   #46
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Before I get called a communist, I've always wondered this.

Is it because there weren't speed limits like 70 years ago and no one introduced a law limiting car top speeds?
The next question to go is, why are you guys trying to get the max out of your cars even you got so strict limited though?

*written at 280kp/h from my bimmer in Germany*

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
Buug95917178.50
      08-02-2021, 07:02 AM   #47
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Autobahn won’t work in the US, the cars are built differently, most American cars over 10 years old wouldn’t even pass the German safety inspection. Don’t get me started on driver skills…
I miss the autobahn... Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember that if your car had an unapproved TÜV ( Technischer Überwachungsverein ) part and was involved in an accident, you were automatically at fault. Even if your car was just parked and got rear ended. The logic was it was not supposed to be on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #48
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I'm too just against a commonplace speed limits ,lowering speed limits itself just doesn't prevent from accidents from happening , but better driver training does .
Today ,we have better cars that stops much earlier than they did 30 years ago but speed limits are same , that's fudge .
Not to mention active safety features that's embedded into cars .
Exactly, couldn't agree more.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #49
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Most accidents (slow or fast) on the autobahn are rarely fatalities but stateside, a 59mph crash on average has 50-60% higher chance of being a fatality.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #50
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
I miss the autobahn... Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember that if your car had an unapproved TÜV ( Technischer Überwachungsverein ) part and was involved in an accident, you were automatically at fault. Even if your car was just parked and got rear ended. The logic was it was not supposed to be on the road.
Yes, they do have some crazy rules.. another example, if I am driving and I get hit by a bicycle, it is automatically partially or majority my fault because I am operating the dangerous vehicle…

Winter, if you are parked with summer tires and someone hits you (yes parked) you are at least partially at fault.. idiotic laws..
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59631.50
      08-02-2021, 04:11 PM   #51
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Can you provide the source of those stats? I'd be interested in seeing the data.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:45 AM   #52
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Yes, they do have some crazy rules.. another example, if I am driving and I get hit by a bicycle, it is automatically partially or majority my fault because I am operating the dangerous vehicle…

Winter, if you are parked with summer tires and someone hits you (yes parked) you are at least partially at fault.. idiotic laws..
Some time ago snowflake gov. here got rid of jaywalking law where drivers were protected if someone wandered into the path of a moving vehicle or bike.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #53
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

"No Faster than is safe for the conditions"

Right, Sedan_Clan ?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #54
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
"No Faster than is safe for the conditions"

Right, Sedan_Clan ?
They called that Reasonable and Prudent if I remember correctly. It's been a while, but I do remember those words. If ya' see them enough, they tend to stick with you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #55
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

. . . illustration of who is really childish and shouldn't be allowed to drive fast . . .

I really liked reading the seasoned memories and stories. It is nice to see some adult conversation from time to time. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:19 PM   #56
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Well, there are places where you can legally go as fast as your car allows like tracks and Autobahn, so limiting cars performance doesn't make sense. Plus speed limits vary from country to country.

Contrary to popular belief speed kills, that is not necessarily true, its in appropriate use of speed at the wrong place/time that kills.

If you look at the majority of the vehicle accidents they don't happen at very high speeds anyway, even though thw green brigade would have us believe otherwise.

Speed limits have been lowered to various areas - 20mph in UK, and Moronic traffic management in certain places, just for cyclists, which in turn has increased emissions due to more traffic, its places like this that increase likelihood of accidents but nobody seems to care, just fixated on speed.
There's a big difference in mentality between European/German folk vs US / Canadian people. The people in North America are more immature and tend to do more stunts than those in Europe. And another thing preventing an Auto Bahn over here is economy cars. It is dangerous to have an speed optional highway without prohibiting vehicles that cannot achieve accelleration in appropriate time.

I do agree though that speed doesn't kill, because those who are speeding excessively are 99.9% of the time paying complete and absolute attention to the road.

In my city recently got out of a traffic jam, 70+ cars stopped on along a drive, one side of the street closed down for pedestrians and people on scooters/bikes. One singular person riding a pay-scooter down the side that could have allowed better traffic flow. More fumes due to stopped cars, but the city seems to think its more environmentally friendly :lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:38 PM   #57
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnny View Post
It is dangerous to have an speed optional highway without prohibiting vehicles that cannot achieve accelleration in appropriate time.
This is not true. On the autobahn there are plenty of semitrucks.
Any car is faster than those.
If traffic doesn't allow you to drive at very high speeds you shouldn't do that.
That state of mind is what you must have when having a driving license.
Remember, the truck always wins....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 01:37 AM   #58
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

fast is just a relative term. An f80 can comfortably do 120-140mph on the highway without breaking a sweat for an extended time. My civic feels sketch past 90.

we have speed limits though because:

1) US govt doesn't take care of our roads + they want our money with tickets
2) people are dumb and think driving is a right not a privilege (left lane hogs, not letting people merge onto the highway, people merging on the highway below the speed limit, etc)
3) we allow beaters on the road that would probably take a football field to brake if they were doing 100+.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #59
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
I graduated from high school in 1978. Driver's ed was a required class. It was not an option, and was taken in my junior year. We had to watch some videos of horrific wrecks and actually got some seat time in the Driver's Ed car on the school parking lot. By the time the class was over we could easily pass the DMV drivers test.
Judging by the numbskulls on the road today, I think that class was a victim of cost-cutting.
      08-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #60
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

At least in Texas if they tried deploying governors there would be a revolt.

A few years ago a young state trooper told me when he was training his supervisor told him back in the 80's they'd get three or four triple digits speeders a week. Now, he sees that in a day.
      08-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #61
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
My favorite speeding story: back in the 80's I was driving Interstate 8 in southern Arizona heading toward Yuma.

I was in a train of cars driving 85-90 mph vs. the posted 55 mph (remember that) speed limit. We were all passed by a state trooper who quickly zipped past. A few miles later, we saw he had a Corvette pulled over - I've always wondered how fast was he going to get pulled over when 30-35+ was not worthy of the troopers attention?
      08-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #62
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Better question is why are cars allowed to go so slow

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
3.0L8927.50
      08-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #63
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
fast is just a relative term. An f80 can comfortably do 120-140mph on the highway without breaking a sweat for an extended time. My civic feels sketch past 90.

we have speed limits though because:

1) US govt doesn't take care of our roads + they want our money with tickets
2) people are dumb and think driving is a right not a privilege (left lane hogs, not letting people merge onto the highway, people merging on the highway below the speed limit, etc)
3) we allow beaters on the road that would probably take a football field to brake if they were doing 100+.
This is one of the biggest reasons why we dont have an autobahn style road. We have very lax requirements for cars to be deemed "road worthy". I'd be all for them upping those requirements and allowing higher speeds, but that would 100% never happen because a lot of people cant afford a newer safer car.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
Bunnny219.50
      08-08-2021, 10:24 PM   #64
Bunnny
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 & 2002 330ci e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
This is not true. On the autobahn there are plenty of semitrucks.
Any car is faster than those.
If traffic doesn't allow you to drive at very high speeds you shouldn't do that.
That state of mind is what you must have when having a driving license.
Remember, the truck always wins....
Yes, it is true.
Semi trucks / commercial trucks are not allowed on the road until after 6pm on the autobahn, and most roads due to safety. Snow during the winter time creates white-outs and it impedes passing, and fewer people travel the highway alone at night so thats when trucks are allowed. Trucks always do win. :lol

(I spent some time touring Germany, pretty neat place).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #65
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchd View Post
My favorite speeding story: back in the 80's I was driving Interstate 8 in southern Arizona heading toward Yuma.

I was in a train of cars driving 85-90 mph vs. the posted 55 mph (remember that) speed limit. We were all passed by a state trooper who quickly zipped past. A few miles later, we saw he had a Corvette pulled over - I've always wondered how fast was he going to get pulled over when 30-35+ was not worthy of the troopers attention?
Quite common place here. I usually stay around 20 over posted and frequently get passed on the freeway while doing this by troopers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:35 PM   #66
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
My question is why are speed limits so low? And in a lot of towns and cities they are being lowered even more.

we have too many moron drivers, and pedestrians. Half this country couldn't cross a street if they needed to w/o getting hit.
Appreciate 0