BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery My 2022 M550 x drive on order

07-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #23
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD550 View Post
Agreed, the port is not shut down but there is still congestion. My car was in port for only three days. Its on the water now. Mine is a 2022 and the options availability seems it was adjusted for any part shortages, so that may be the difference if you are waiting on a 2021. But who knows. I ordered mine June 9 and expected in Baltimore port Aug 3.
I see. I forgot to specify, I ordered in the first week of July for a 2022. I'm hoping it's not a parts thing because the dealer informed me that wireless charging and the kick to open trunk feature wouldn't be included, and I was fine with that, if those were the only two features that were going to take a hit. I'd hate for it to be more parts unavailable and either holding up the car or simply not making it on to the car when it finally gets here.

It seems the 2021 orders got screwed and people have been waiting for over 6 months for it but seeing you and another user have their 2022s fly through and already on a boat, it makes me think priority is being given to 22s now and also that things are moving smoothly now after the omitted features have been disclosed to the customer and accepted by them.

So maybe it is congestion and you got lucky and were ahead of the eventual log jam at the port. I wonder how long it'll be for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSNOW View Post
The port has not been shut down. Have you looked at the web cam https://www.blg-logistics.com/webcams - Boat go out almost daily. I been watching the cam quite a bit. But there are a lot of cars waiting, look at the cam. The port can hold up to 50,000 cars. most RORO can take only take 5000 at the max, and I don think any would take that many from one location.

If you caught in the part shortage, I don't think they can do anything at BREMERHAVEN, it would have to wait until VPC.

From reading other tracking it not that uncommon for a week or so at the port.

Good luck on getting on one soon.

I hope you're right. I was not aware of the port camera. Knowing how maniacal I feel right now, I know I'd set it as my live screensaver and try to look for my car.

I guess I'll get a feel for if a parts shortage will affect me when the folks who have their 22s on a ship currently get to VPC and see if they get any notices about missing features.
And just a quick correction. I was at port five days. Got there on the 17th and left on the 22nd.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
And just a quick correction. I was at port five days. Got there on the 17th and left on the 22nd.
I see. Are you the member from another thread that ordered from Orland BMW? I know there were a few Chicagoans here.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #25
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
I see. Are you the member from another thread that ordered from Orland BMW? I know there were a few Chicagoans here.
Which thread? Curious. I ordered from Orland with an August build date.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #26
BD550
Private
Rep

Garage List
I am a Chicagoan, yes. I ordered mine from Fields BMW in Northfield.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #27
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Which thread? Curious. I ordered from Orland with an August build date.
I think it was you, actually, that I was talking about. Not the user below. I know yours has yet to go in to production yet, so I guess the other user is the one who has his on a boat already and coming to Chicago.

Quote:
I am a Chicagoan, yes. I ordered mine from Fields BMW in Northfield.

OK, that makes sense. I remember reading through another thread and there were two Chicagoans talking about the locations they ordered from but I didn't keep the members and dealers names straight.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #28
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think it was you, actually, that I was talking about. Not the user below. I know yours has yet to go in to production yet, so I guess the other user is the one who has his on a boat already and coming to Chicago.

OK, that makes sense. I remember reading through another thread and there were two Chicagoans talking about the locations they ordered from but I didn't keep the members and dealers names straight.
Got it. Was just wondering as I wanted to see what everyone else's experience with Zeigler was as far as the delivery timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 09:12 PM   #29
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Got it. Was just wondering as I wanted to see what everyone else's experience with Zeigler was as far as the delivery timeframe.

Yup, I went through Westmont.

I don't know if dealership affects delivery time, beyond region. If your car and mine were on the same boat, I'd imagine living in the Chicagoland area, our cars would be delivered to our respective dealers the same day. After that, it just comes down to paperwork and prep and if your SA is working that day or not, right?

And, of course, I imagine it affects when your car goes in to production because of dealer allocation but yours has at least started production, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #30
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I went through Westmont.

I don't know if dealership affects delivery time, beyond region. If your car and mine were on the same boat, I'd imagine living in the Chicagoland area, our cars would be delivered to our respective dealers the same day. After that, it just comes down to paperwork and prep and if your SA is working that day or not, right?

And, of course, I imagine it affects when your car goes in to production because of dealer allocation but yours has at least started production, right?
I think high volume dealers may have more pull. I think we ordered ours around the same date (placed my order on July 2nd and got a build number right away), but yours is about to be shipped while mine is in status "Scheduled for Production" and is being built in August.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #31
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I think high volume dealers may have more pull. I think we ordered ours around the same date (placed my order on July 2nd and got a build number right away), but yours is about to be shipped while mine is in status "Scheduled for Production" and is being built in August.
I see. You'd think Westmont and Orland, both, would be pretty high volume. I'd even bet OP sells more cars, even if they're entry-level Series like 2s and 3s and SUVs. Even if it's not the case, you'd think our $80k+ cars would still take some sort of priority.

Anyway, I'm just telling myself to expect it to leave port in a week or two and not worry about it. Between the forums and the tracker, I can count every step taken towards insanity. It'll come when it comes.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #32
BD550
Private
Rep

Garage List
Tracking the intransit vessel from Germany.

For those interested, dates for my 2022 order as follows:
Ordered June 9
Production week of July 12
Loaded on vessel July 22
Expected in Baltimore port Aug 3
Dealership delivery tbd
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #33
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the update, this is really helpful for us guys who ordered after you and are impatiently awaiting movement
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #34
BD550
Private
Rep

Garage List
Damn. My 2022 550i has been sitting in Baltimore VDC since last Tuesday. Was hoping it would get on a ground transport this week. But just got word that it moved to Stop Sale status due to "Receiver Audio Module". So much for the fact that things are only affecting 2021 models. Sales rep tells me they are working through fixes at a pace of 25 per day. But I suspect that depends on the specific issue at hand and whether they have the parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #35
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Mine has been sitting there too will check with dealer as to the cause. That’s surprising given we both specced the B&W sound systems. Thought the shortage only affected HK!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #36
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Damn. My 2022 550i has been sitting in Baltimore VDC since last Tuesday. Was hoping it would get on a ground transport this week. But just got word that it moved to Stop Sale status due to "Receiver Audio Module". So much for the fact that things are only affecting 2021 models. Sales rep tells me they are working through fixes at a pace of 25 per day. But I suspect that depends on the specific issue at hand and whether they have the parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
Mine has been sitting there too will check with dealer as to the cause. That’s surprising given we both specced the B&W sound systems. Thought the shortage only affected HK!
I'm just going to remove the vessel tracker from my bookmarks now. I honestly thought I'd be good to get the car before September but I am fully expecting this car after that.

It's pretty BS as I am seeing 22s in dealer showrooms across the country right now. Probably two or three unsold every week for the past three weeks now.

But it also should have been expected as the MY22 M3 and M4s are sitting at port for the same parts, too.

I'm really curious about the reliability of cars that have such important parts retrofitted after the factory. Not so much the part being durable but the installation process disrupting wires or modules for other things. Surely it's not just a simple installation, like a fuse or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #37
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I'm really curious about the reliability of cars that have such important parts retrofitted after the factory. Not so much the part being durable but the installation process disrupting wires or modules for other things. Surely it's not just a simple installation, like a fuse or something.
If you look at the LCI technical docs the RAM is situated at the rear of the car and I imagine all the wiring (ethernet) to it from the console has already been piped through the cabin - it just needs to be connected is my guess. For HK and B&W there’s two different boosters, with different power levels connected over Ethernet to the RAM.

Now that I think about it makes sense there’s a parts shortage even for B&W since the difference is only the booster and the RAM-high (which appears to be in short supply) is the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:05 AM   #38
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malpatti View Post
If you look at the LCI technical docs the RAM is situated at the rear of the car and I imagine all the wiring (ethernet) to it from the console has already been piped through the cabin - it just needs to be connected is my guess. For HK and B&W there’s two different boosters, with different power levels connected over Ethernet to the RAM.

Now that I think about it makes sense there’s a parts shortage even for B&W since the difference is only the booster and the RAM-high (which appears to be in short supply) is the same.

Yeah, well, at the end of the day, I think there are 2500+ cars sitting, waiting at port according to the M4 section. If it truly is 25 cars a day that get the fix, that's over three months. And that's assuming the parts are actually rolling in, albeit slowly.

I'll wait until I actually get told there's a stop sale for me but I'm expecting there to be one for me, too. I didn't spec the Bowers system but if it's a generic part that all cars have regardless of what sound system, I'm sure I'll be caught in it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #39
BD550
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good news, I have been informed that the Stop Sale on my car has been removed as the issue has been resolved at the VDC in Baltimore, and my car is intransit to the dealer. Should arrive by Friday but I do not have that arrival confirmed yet. And as luck would have it I will be out of town on vacation Friday through Tuesday so I likely wont be able to pick it up until next week 😞. But it was very good news that they solved Receiver Audio Module faster than I expected. As a reminder, I ordered mine June 9, the day after the 2022 spec sheets came out. So just a little over 60 days if this timeline holds true.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #40
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Good news, I have been informed that the Stop Sale on my car has been removed as the issue has been resolved at the VDC in Baltimore, and my car is intransit to the dealer. Should arrive by Friday but I do not have that arrival confirmed yet. And as luck would have it I will be out of town on vacation Friday through Tuesday so I likely wont be able to pick it up until next week 😞. But it was very good news that they solved Receiver Audio Module faster than I expected. As a reminder, I ordered mine June 9, the day after the 2022 spec sheets came out. So just a little over 60 days if this timeline holds true.
Did your dealer notify you of delivery? I know you won't be able to pick it up as yet but did that hold truly get removed and business as usual since then?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:39 PM   #41
BD550
Private
Rep

Garage List
No he did not notify me today, and I was so busy I did not call him. Will check tomorrow morning. He was quite definitive that is no longer in Stop Sale status, but with how everything is going I agree a firm delivery date is needed at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #42
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep

So close you can feel it. I’m also going on vacation next week so if it gets delivered next week I figure I’m saving money not paying the lease on my week off
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #43
BD550
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Did your dealer notify you of delivery? I know you won't be able to pick it up as yet but did that hold truly get removed and business as usual since then?
Date is scheduled for arrival to dealer on the 15th but that is Sunday. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #44
Akosmakos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

I would not be surprised if your car shows up a day before it is scheduled. My car was delivered a day before it was scheduled to arrive.
Appreciate 0