BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Front lip spoiler install help...

06-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Front lip spoiler install help...

so...I have a front lip spoiler and cracked it. Bought what I thought was the exact same one since the seller told me it was. It isn't. Now, in some ways it's better. The bottom long piece is beefier and solid. but here's the issue, none of the holes are pre-drilled. Again, not the end of the world, I know how to use a drill. But the difficult part for me is installing the side wings - there are no predrilled holes for it and the screws it comes with are looooong. The screws for my previous spoiler had small little screw that were perfect. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to use the included tape for that portion or not - it wouldn't seem to be the case as it wouldn't be that strong.

Now the bigger question is...has anyone bought this exact same spoiler off ebay? that would be a huge help but I'm dubious anyone else has. https://www.ebay.com/itm/192672716767
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
spiciercheez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 540 M Sport

Garage List
I believe I have that same spoiler, looks very similar at least in terms of the pieces. I can't help with the side pieces however. I just installed the main spoiler. I ended up going to my local hardware store and getting stainless steel rivets and it was a piece of cake to attach.

As for the side pieces, mine came with 3M tape so I assume that is the easiest way to install....not sure about longevity of that though. Sorry I can't be of more help for those.

I posted in this thread: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1762502

Looks like another user put on the side pieces and didn't even need tape.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. I might try just installing the side pieces with the tape first, and then putting on the spoiler after. And from what I can tell, i have to drill the holes in the spoiler as they are not pre-drilled, just marked for it and it doesn't appear that the new spoiler uses any of the existing "holes" under the bumper...will be a pain to align correctly it seems...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
spiciercheez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 540 M Sport

Garage List
Ah, so maybe that is a difference in the one I have vs what you have. Mine had 2 predrilled holes on the far ends of the spoiler that lined up perfectly with holes on the bottom of the bumper. It made the rest of the install quite easy. I can see how not having anything there to start would make lining it up more difficult though, hopefully it's not too big of a pain for you!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I will have to take a better look at mine again.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Alright, so I think I figured it out... basically you attach the side fins with tape first. They are not physically attached to the lip spoiler, which is completely different than the last two lip spoilers I installed. But what's odd is there are 7 dimples in the lip spoiler exactly where the side fins would attached, but of course, no small screws are included. Whatever. And the spoiler is not pre-drilled but there are clear indications of where to drill. So I just drilled the holes, lined up the first hole by the wheel well and screwed it on. Then put some wood under the rest of it to hold it up and did the other side by the wheel well and then all the rest. Looks good actually and seems to be a bit more heavy duty than the last two. Of course, once I hit another curb stop, it will be done for...
Appreciate 0