BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Campaign Hold 'retrofit camera'

07-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
OldManEstate
Rep
Drives: Bmw G31 530d

Campaign Hold 'retrofit camera'

I am awaiting delivery of my G31 530d which has now arrived in the UK.
Just prior to delivery being arranged by the dealer I was told there was a campaign hold labelled 'retrofit camera'.
Both the bmw genius and dealer have given no additional information and no date for resolution.
Can anybody shine any light on this situation?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
Gamelin
Rep
Drives: G30 LCI

O think it is a case for 360 cameras. My dealer reported that they received a car from factory that came without cameras - just holes left. The cameras will be shipped and mounted at the dealer separately (nobody knows when).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
Fenix33
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManEstate View Post
I am awaiting delivery of my G31 530d which has now arrived in the UK.
Just prior to delivery being arranged by the dealer I was told there was a campaign hold labelled 'retrofit camera'.
Both the bmw genius and dealer have given no additional information and no date for resolution.
Can anybody shine any light on this situation?
Same issue with mine. US m550i built Week 24. There is a stop sale for the cameras for me, car is on the way to California now, almost at the Panama Canal.

Hope it's a quick thing, ordered the car in April
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 02:48 AM   #4
OldManEstate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix33 View Post
Same issue with mine. US m550i built Week 24. There is a stop sale for the cameras for me, car is on the way to California now, almost at the Panama Canal.

Hope it's a quick thing, ordered the car in April
Have to hope it's just a few isolated vehicles, if they forgot to put cameras in all appropriate models then somebody has hugely messed up.

Would it be as simple as look at the car, seeing it does in fact have the cameras, and letting it be delivered to the dealer? I sure hope so.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Have to hope it's just a few isolated vehicles, if they forgot to put cameras in all appropriate models then somebody has hugely messed up.

Would it be as simple as look at the car, seeing it does in fact have the cameras, and letting it be delivered to the dealer? I sure hope so.
I wouldn't think anyone "forgot.". I would think it's a part availability issue and it made more sense to finish 99% and add cameras later instead of holding up the assembly line for cameras.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
Fenix33
Rep

Here's another thread on the topic, doesn't sound good

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1838649
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 5er

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's another thread on the topic, doesn't sound good

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1838649
That thread is getting more depressing by the day.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
OldManEstate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky View Post
There is talk of multiple options being deleted. If my car shows up without HK audio, wireless charging, 360 camera or laser lights then its going straight back, unfortunately.

I wouldn't be so angry if they'd been upfront from the start but so far my dealer refuses to accept its anything more than a quality control issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #9
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
There is talk of multiple options being deleted. If my car shows up without HK audio, wireless charging, 360 camera or laser lights then its going straight back, unfortunately.

I wouldn't be so angry if they'd been upfront from the start but so far my dealer refuses to accept its anything more than a quality control issue.
Maybe options are different in the UK but I thought the "stock" sound system for our 550s was the HK. Wireless charging, I was told from the get-go, was not going to be available along with the hands free trunk, and I'm OK with that. The cameras were a concern for me going in to it but I was told that wouldn't be an issue as the driver's package was totally available to order. Laser lights aren't an option for US G30s, I believe, so that I knew going in, as well.

Maybe they're short-changing the MY21s but not the 22s? Which one are you?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 12:08 AM   #10
OldManEstate
Rep

Quote:
Maybe options are different in the UK but I thought the "stock" sound system for our 550s was the HK. Wireless charging, I was told from the get-go, was not going to be available along with the hands free trunk, and I'm OK with that. The cameras were a concern for me going in to it but I was told that wouldn't be an issue as the driver's package was totally available to order. Laser lights aren't an option for US G30s, I believe, so that I knew going in, as well.

I ordered a MY21 back in early April. HK is not standard but part of the Tech pro pack along with wireless charging and the park assistant pro/driver assistant pro. I was able to spec this and laser lights without any issue and haven't been told at any point that these options haven't been added. Just getting bad vibes from the dealer/genius as they wont give me a straight answer as to what my cars actual issue is.

Really hope I don't have to cancel as I have already sold my 3 series and getting hold of a used car at short notice is gonna be pricey in the current market.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:08 AM   #11
Fenix33
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like someone who's car was there early July is ready to get sent to the dealer. So maybe a month wait or less hopefully!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:11 AM   #12
Fenix33
Rep

Quote:

I was aware the hands free trunk was removed from my build, but nowhere said anything about wireless charging. Did it say that on your build somewhere? Or is that just a blanket thing that all the cars aren't getting. That was the main reason I added executive package I believe. I guess ceramic controls too. Don't care much for manual sun shades, I had a 750 that had power and that was much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:59 AM   #13
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I was aware the hands free trunk was removed from my build, but nowhere said anything about wireless charging. Did it say that on your build somewhere? Or is that just a blanket thing that all the cars aren't getting. That was the main reason I added executive package I believe. I guess ceramic controls too. Don't care much for manual sun shades, I had a 750 that had power and that was much nicer.
I was told well before ordering that wireless charging was removed, even with the Executive Package. I was credited for the omission of the wireless charging and I figured the power shades and ceramic controls were still worth it. Apple CarKey still works, I was told, but I don't have an iPhone so it was moot for me there too. Dealer offered a BMW accessory that added wireless charging but via a stand that took up a cup holder...for $200+. So I will charge with a wire like a pleb, which will be faster anyway. I've heard the wireless charger is not good anyway and charges very slow while warming up the phone quite a bit. Also, I don't know if my S10+ will fit in there as people with iPhone 12 Pro Maxs said theirs would not.

I've kicked the muffler of my Q7 100 times trying to get the hands free to work and it's worked once. I didn't even have anything to put in the trunk, I just kept trying and it worked once. It's not a big loss for me either and I think that too was credited back in to the price since it was known it would be omitted.

My build sheet does not mention either of the two features that I was told were not available.

Looks like you are a MY21. I am a MY22, so I think wireless charging was a new removal for MY22s, not MY21s. The MY may not matter, though, since it depends on supply.

Do all our cars end up in NY, so long as we're on the East Coast or in the Midwest? If so, someone posted the schedule for ships to NYC and are hoping theirs will be on the on one the leaves 8/8/21, or the one a week after. Looks like nothing left after 7/17, which might be why those lucky few that have a early-August delivery date have that date.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1774

Looks like late-August arrival to the US and then 2-3 weeks after that it gets to me in Chicago. If there's nothing missing.

Last edited by smacky; 07-31-2021 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:33 AM   #14
OldManEstate
Rep

I just received confirmation of my cars registration number. Anyone UK based able to tell me if that's a good thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 01:11 AM   #15
iball123456
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible, iX50 MSport

I'm in a similar position, my 530d estate was due for delivery on 23/06 but dealer said it had been placed on hold due to a camera issue.

Last update I got, it was due for completion early August. Typically, we're about to go on holiday so won't be able to collect it until we return. I'll now delay it a few more days and collect it on 1st Sept so it's the new registration (albeit it has a private plate on it). I've waited since February, so a few more days won't kill me!

Sounds like yours is very close, my wife had an M440i convertible delivered in May and the dealer didn't contact us about registration plates until it was on the transporter to the garage.

What spec have you ordered?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 01:23 AM   #16
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
I just received confirmation of my cars registration number. Anyone UK based able to tell me if that's a good thing?
Quote:
I assume so , it's been registered so it exists. Presumably a matter of days before you get it

On my previous car I was able to choose a reg from the block they had assigned to them. My current one I chose the cheapest personalised yeh you can buy for £250

This is the worst part waiting for the car especially when you know it's so close
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 05:42 AM   #17
OldManEstate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iball123456 View Post
I'm in a similar position, my 530d estate was due for delivery on 23/06 but dealer said it had been placed on hold due to a camera issue.

Last update I got, it was due for completion early August. Typically, we're about to go on holiday so won't be able to collect it until we return. I'll now delay it a few more days and collect it on 1st Sept so it's the new registration (albeit it has a private plate on it). I've waited since February, so a few more days won't kill me!

Sounds like yours is very close, my wife had an M440i convertible delivered in May and the dealer didn't contact us about registration plates until it was on the transporter to the garage.

What spec have you ordered?
Thanks for the reply, sounds like it might be quite soon then!

I've gone for M sport, Sophisto grey, tech pro pack, laser lights and sun protection glass. Left off the M sport pro because I'd heard it rode better on the 19's with the rear air suspension. Only regret is not speccing the sunroof but the cost was mounting and I had to stop somewhere. What have you opted for?

Had to sell the wife's M140i as we couldn't fit a car seat in properly. Sad times.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 06:28 AM   #18
iball123456
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible, iX50 MSport

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, sounds like it might be quite soon then!

I've gone for M sport, Sophisto grey, tech pro pack, laser lights and sun protection glass. Left off the M sport pro because I'd heard it rode better on the 19's with the rear air suspension. Only regret is not speccing the sunroof but the cost was mounting and I had to stop somewhere. What have you opted for?

Had to sell the wife's M140i as we couldn't fit a car seat in properly. Sad times.
I've gone Sophisto grey as well, X-drive, M Sport Pro, red calipers, saddle brown interior, tech pro, comfort pro. I've got the glass roof on my current one and it's nice, but it's not worth £2k. My current 530d is bluestone and I parked it next to a sophisto grey last week, which almost made me regret my choice! Too late now though!

Current car has 20" and rides perfectly, so no hesitation in going 20" again, unless of course they've changed the suspension in last 2 years for the facelift model?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #19
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550I /2019 X5 Premium

Garage List
M550 STILL at port

Car has shown at port for over a month. In Germany being shipped to New Jersey.
Can anyone share there wait time at port please?
I'm fine driving my '19. I realize freighters are in short supply and I also believe it's not the best time of year to sail but wondering if European vacation impacting?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #20
smacky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsfll View Post
Car has shown at port for over a month. In Germany being shipped to New Jersey.
Can anyone share there wait time at port please?
I'm fine driving my '19. I realize freighters are in short supply and I also believe it's not the best time of year to sail but wondering if European vacation impacting?
Thanks
Wait at port was a little over 2 weeks for me but it has now left over the weekend.

If your status didn't change this past Monday, I imagine it'll be on the next vessel, which I think leaves Bremerhaven on the 7th or 8th.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #21
OldManEstate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iball123456 View Post
I've gone Sophisto grey as well, X-drive, M Sport Pro, red calipers, saddle brown interior, tech pro, comfort pro. I've got the glass roof on my current one and it's nice, but it's not worth £2k. My current 530d is bluestone and I parked it next to a sophisto grey last week, which almost made me regret my choice! Too late now though!

Current car has 20" and rides perfectly, so no hesitation in going 20" again, unless of course they've changed the suspension in last 2 years for the facelift model?
That's a very tasty spec. Would have loved comfort pro pack as well but its my first brand new car and I had to draw the line somewhere.

I don't think the online configurator flatters any of the colours so played safe with grey. Was very close to choosing the Aventurine red when it was half price but that would have pushed the build another month.

I'm sure the 20's with adaptive suspension ride great and no changes as far as I'm aware. At least my tyres will be a bit cheaper. The 20s ship with run-flats as standard though, right? Hoping that's not the case for the 19s.

Still no news on delivery timescale unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #22
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550I /2019 X5 Premium

Garage List
Thanks. Car just went "in transit" today! My used one selling for $60k
Appreciate 0