BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Soft closing doors

12-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #23
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

i could've sworn there was such a feature.
maybe i just picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
i could've sworn there was such a feature.
maybe i just picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines
I thought there was also. But even without that feature I still love the soft close doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #25
Max_M
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 40D and BMW 530i xDrive

Soft close on a 5-series for me is kind of a "must have"....due to the Hofmeister bend in the rear door you really have to SLAM! the door. If you close it gently it doesn't close....which I find very annoying.

I did not have it on my first 5-series, I ordered on my X6 where its of NO use, as these doors are closing with ease. However just got a new 5-series delivered and has it.....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #26
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

I love it on my M550i. Even my 16 year old loves it, and this is a kid that I have to throw a sideways look to all the time when he closes car doors. He now purposefully closes the doors as softly as he can. Worst thing is now I've gotten into the habit and close the doors on other cars softly only to have to open them again and give them a bit of a more firm "push."
2018 M550i xDrive | Mediterranean Blue | Black Nappa | Individual Piano Black | 668M with Pilot SS | Cold weather | Driving assist/plus | Dynamic handling | Executive | Luxury seating | Parking assist | Rear shades | Bowers & Wilkins | CarPlay/Gesture/DDC; 2018 430i xDrive Gran Coupe | Carbon Black | Black Dakota | M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #27
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummedic View Post
I love it on my M550i. Even my 16 year old loves it, and this is a kid that I have to throw a sideways look to all the time when he closes car doors. He now purposefully closes the doors as softly as he can. Worst thing is now I've gotten into the habit and close the doors on other cars softly only to have to open them again and give them a bit of a more firm "push."
I know. First world problem. Similar to what happens to me when I travel and rent a car and I am on the highway and have to decide whether to turn on cruise control if it isn't adaptive as I am used to and trained to use adaptive cruise control.

Doors not closing are a safety problem; cruise control that crawls up the back of the car in front of you because it isn't adaptive and you are used to adaptive is a safety problem.

Luckly...I think we can all handle it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #28
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I know. First world problem. Similar to what happens to me when I travel and rent a car and I am on the highway and have to decide whether to turn on cruise control if it isn't adaptive as I am used to and trained to use adaptive cruise control.

Doors not closing are a safety problem; cruise control that crawls up the back of the car in front of you because it isn't adaptive and you are used to adaptive is a safety problem.

Luckly...I think we can all handle it.
Ha. Agree. We’re definitely in first world problem territory.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #29
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Have them on my 750i. Perfect for sleeping kids. I love that you don't have to slam the door and that if you don't quite push it hard enough to close while juggling kids, groceries, back packs, coffees and other such things the door gets sucked right in.

My work vehicle is a Tahoe and my wife has a Q7 neither of which have it. I definitely miss it and unless there were very compelling trade offs, will never purchase a car without it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 03:01 PM   #30
joharejim
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Agreed, partially

Although I've come to like the soft close doors, I have to agree when it comes to passengers. No amount of reminding my husband is ever going to stop him from slamming the passenger door. And let's be honest, if you're schooling your friends on how to properly close the passenger doors, well there's a word for you.
IMO, BMW may as well just fit the soft close mechanism to the driver door and leave it off the other three doors.
Appreciate 0