BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550i Twin Turbo V8 - is it undercooled ?

08-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
2021M550i
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, BMW X3

M550i Twin Turbo V8 - is it undercooled ?

Does anyone else feel that the engine in the M550i (4.4 Liter Twin Turbo V8 with 523 HP and 553 Ft/pound of torque) is undercooled ?

It's my experience that the engine produces way too much heat (or it's not cooled well). I mean just standing anywhere near or around the car, one can feel the tremendous heat coming from the engine and from underside of the car. It feels as if it's an oven there.

I have not had this experience with other V8's. I think the BMW engineers just did not build enough cooling capacity.

That's why people say that the ac does not cool enough and inside it feels hot. The culprit is not the ac but the engine that runs way too hot and not cooled enough. The underside/floor of the car is suppressing lot of heat and ac struggles to keep temp low.

Does anyone think this ? It's just over-engineered with the active shutters in the grill and the fan that runs like crazy trying to cool the engine. But, they forgot the basics… just did not build enough cooling capacity for this high performing engine.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

I think the reason you have that perception is due to the fact this engine is a hot V turbo. In past versions the turbos have boiled the oil right after the car is shut off. The fans going full blast when you are rolling slowly or pull up to a stop is to take heat out of the centre of the engine bay and stop the oil consumption issues a class action highlighted in the earlier generations. Under fast driving conditions the oil and coolant temps are pretty under control for a sub M model. It's the heat extraction measures that you are noticing.
Appreciate 3
      08-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

On this topic does anyone understand the temperature gauge? It starts “cold” and then settles in the middle. Sometimes the indicator line is white, other times red, I’ve no idea what that means, and once warmed up never moves (that cooling referred to above is working).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
2021M550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
I think the reason you have that perception is due to the fact this engine is a hot V turbo. In past versions the turbos have boiled the oil right after the car is shut off. The fans going full blast when you are rolling slowly or pull up to a stop is to take heat out of the centre of the engine bay and stop the oil consumption issues a class action highlighted in the earlier generations. Under fast driving conditions the oil and coolant temps are pretty under control for a sub M model. It's the heat extraction measures that you are noticing.
Thank you for the response. Yes, very true, this heat extraction measure is what we notice. My previous V8's were Naturally Aspirated : Ford Explorer V8 and Dodge Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack V8 and they ran much cooler and the heat was not experienced. They did a much better job.

My experience with BMW Twin Turbo Inline 4's and 6's were also much better. I just think they need to find a better way to cool these turbos and engines without the occupants noticing them. I don't know if anyone likes these loud fans going full blast and running after the engine shuts down.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Two thoughts:
- If they could line the engine bay with something that would help dissipate heat
- seems the newer 2021 models seem to be more susceptible to the fans running after shutdown (which makes me wonder if it's a software sensor/threshold thing)
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Do you have a LCI or Pre LCI model? The LCI has improved air flow to keep the engine cooler.
      08-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021M550i View Post
I just think they need to find a better way to cool these turbos and engines without the occupants noticing them. I don't know if anyone likes these loud fans going full blast and running after the engine shuts down.
Frankly, I notice much more how hot the performance is of this phenomenal vehicle. It doesn't bother me at all that the shutters open and close, or that the cooling fans run for a minute or two after I have enjoyed the fantastic experience the M550 offers. I am usually walking away at that point, anyway. Are you for real, or just trolling?
Appreciate 3
      08-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
2021M550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Do you have a LCI or Pre LCI model? The LCI has improved air flow to keep the engine cooler.
I have LCI - 2021
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I have LCI - 2021
Hmm… then that's odd.
      08-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
2021M550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Quote:
I just think they need to find a better way to cool these turbos and engines without the occupants noticing them. I don't know if anyone likes these loud fans going full blast and running after the engine shuts down.
Frankly, I notice much more how hot the performance is of this phenomenal vehicle. It doesn't bother me at all that the shutters open and close, or that the cooling fans run for a minute or two after I have enjoyed the fantastic experience the M550 offers. I am usually walking away at that point, anyway. Are you for real, or just trolling?
I am for real. My back ground is engineering and product improvement. While, I do love the phenomenal performance, things can be made better. That's why they seek customer feedback and that's why there is discussion in these forums.

M550i is a high end , 4 door, executive level, high performance, stealth car. Its also a family car. It's not Ok, if just the driver feels good.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #11
GTFISH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
I am for real. My back ground is engineering and product improvement. While, I do love the phenomenal performance, things can be made better. That's why they seek customer feedback and that's why there is discussion in these forums.

M550i is a high end , 4 door, executive level, high performance, stealth car. Its also a family car. It's not Ok, if just the driver feels good.
Who complains about the fan running after the engine is turned off? I notice it when I get out of my car when it is in the garage but within a few minutes it is gone. Remember turbo timers? I would think you would be working on some empirical evidence that the cooling system isn't working properly vs. just saying the fan is too loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #12
2021M550i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFISH View Post
Quote:

Who complains about the fan running after the engine is turned off? I notice it when I get out of my car when it is in the garage but within a few minutes it is gone. Remember turbo timers? I would think you would be working on some empirical evidence that the cooling system isn't working properly vs. just saying the fan is too loud.
Context is not just the fan but the overall heat that is actually felt as generated by this engine or the undercooling. It's all relative, same heat would be welcome if you live in Chicago or New York but not so welcome if you live in Florida or Arizona on a hot day when this thing is panting and hyperventilating. Loud Fan running is a topic that comes up when you step out with folks and you have to explain that the car is off and it's just cooling. It runs hot, one can feel it by just walking around the car, your own senses tell you that.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:53 PM   #13
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Are you guys lower active shutters a bit noisy when they open and close??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #14
GTFISH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
It runs hot, one can feel it by just walking around the car, your own senses tell you that.
In my world when you say "it runs hot" that means it has an elevated internal temperature. If the car is expelling heat that means the car is trying to cool itself down internally. This car (M550i) has a good size engine plus two turbos and intercoolers, radiators etc. All of these devices generate heat on the outside so the car can run at appropriate temps.

Not being a smart ass but maybe you should drive a hybrid or EV if you don't want to hear fans?

I have had a G30 since 2017 and I don't recall cooling issues being mentioned in this forum and I haven't had any personally. This tells me the system is designed to do what it is supposed to and that is keep the engine at an optimum operating temperature.

I also have a 718 Cayman and there are members on that forum that have real cooling issues during track time that puts the car in limp mode. I am sure they would be fine with some extra fan noise!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #15
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Context is not just the fan but the overall heat that is actually felt as generated by this engine or the undercooling. It's all relative, same heat would be welcome if you live in Chicago or New York but not so welcome if you live in Florida or Arizona on a hot day when this thing is panting and hyperventilating. Loud Fan running is a topic that comes up when you step out with folks and you have to explain that the car is off and it's just cooling. It runs hot, one can feel it by just walking around the car, your own senses tell you that.
Turbos are exhaust driven, and by definition hot. That, however, has nothing to do with the cabin cooling system, which is a totally different system, and works quite well in San Antonio, Tx in my M550....and not just for the driver. The engine, if functioning normally, does not run hot either, as it is cooled by another totally different system, and (also in San Antonio, Tx) mine has never come close to overheating....indeed always runs in the normal temperature range. OK.... a fan runs for a few minutes to cool the turbos when you stop. I, personally, have had no issues explaining that to family and friends who ask, and they have had no trouble understanding it. This is a fabulously performing, and wonderfully designed machine, and I hope you eventually come to love yours as much as I do mine. This constitutes my last comment on this topic. Have a nice day.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 02:32 AM   #16
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Quote:
Turbos are exhaust driven, and by definition hot. That, however, has nothing to do with the cabin cooling system, which is a totally different system, and works quite well in San Antonio, Tx in my M550....and not just for the driver. The engine, if functioning normally, does not run hot either, as it is cooled by another totally different system, and (also in San Antonio, Tx) mine has never come close to overheating....indeed always runs in the normal temperature range. OK.... a fan runs for a few minutes to cool the turbos when you stop. I, personally, have had no issues explaining that to family and friends who ask, and they have had no trouble understanding it. This is a fabulously performing, and wonderfully designed machine, and I hope you eventually come to love yours as much as I do mine. This constitutes my last comment on this topic. Have a nice day.
+1…
3 kids in the back, i take this opportunity to show the open/closed vents, explain what's a V8 engine, what and where the turbos are, why it's important to cool them down when stopping…
It's actually interesting from an engineering point of view.

And the needle never deviates from the target temperature so i'm happy with the way cooling works.

Also note that the cooling target is more aggressive in sport mode, comfort mode will trigger fans less often.
      08-05-2021, 03:16 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

As I see it, there is more conflict of function these days, when you want fast heat up, high temperatures for efficiency and then plenty of cooling when necessary.

Takes a more complex thermal/cooling management system to fulfil all requirements. Extra time to dissipate excess heat is likely part of the management strategy.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2021, 05:43 AM   #18
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
I'd see this as something notable if the needle ever moved from dead center on the temp gauge even when pushed hard for a long duration.
      03-23-2023, 09:05 PM   #19
smugmug
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i

Ideally speaking - cooling should be a bit better. I would be conservative if run it on track.

For most situations - it is not bad at all - you need matching airflow to keep it cool - either drive it at a speed, of, after it stop - the ventilization run will auto few minutes.

Check your oil level once a while and keep it topped.

Keep any eye on coolant as well.(
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 09:07 PM   #20
smugmug
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Thank you for the response. Yes, very true, this heat extraction measure is what we notice. My previous V8's were Naturally Aspirated : Ford Explorer V8 and Dodge Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack V8 and they ran much cooler and the heat was not experienced. They did a much better job.

My experience with BMW Twin Turbo Inline 4's and 6's were also much better. I just think they need to find a better way to cool these turbos and engines without the occupants noticing them. I don't know if anyone likes these loud fans going full blast and running after the engine shuts down.

Consider the engine bay size you can fit - radiators, pump, etc, you will see it is rather decent. The m5 has more radiators at bottom - that’s a lot extra cost in such sized engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:24 AM   #21
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Since this old thread has ben revived, I will add my two cents and say that I do feel the heat and hear the fan as I step out and it doesn't bother me at all; in fact, I kind of enjoy it because it makes me feel like I just drove a rocket ship.

As someone else mentioned, the TU3 update (not just LCI, but also MY20 pre-LCI onwards) has made further improvements to cooling and I have not heard of widespread issues with the TU2 either, so I trust that BMW has devised and implemented a good heat management system with whatever it is doing.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 01:09 PM   #22
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

blowing fans after engine shutdown is useless

circulating oil and extracting heat from circulated oil isn't
Appreciate 0