BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 EGR recall- They messed up my car

03-30-2024, 04:41 AM   #1
homesickalien
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Thumbs down G30 EGR recall- They messed up my car

I own a 2018 model BMW 520d xDrive G31 with 50,000 km on it. The authorized BMW service contacted me as part of BMW's EGR cooler recall and told me they would replace the part.

I never had any problems related to the EGR before, in fact, I hadn't had any problems with car at all.

After handing over the car and getting it back the next day, it felt different from the first start. I felt a vibration when reving. I thought it might go away and continued driving, but every 10-30 seconds, the same thing would happen while driving – the car would stutter and shake for about 1-2 seconds. This usually happens when I'm maintaining a steady speed. I returned the car to the service, and there was some resistance at first. They said that if there was another fault, I would be charged for the inspection costs. However, I'm certain the car was fine before. A few days later, they called back and said the car was fixed. I think they replaced another part. Yes, the problem has decreased. It happens less frequently, but it's still there.

I plan to return the car after the Easter holidays.

Has anyone experienced something similar after an EGR replacement? What could be the problem?

Last edited by homesickalien; 03-30-2024 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:00 AM   #2
Bosniak
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530xD

Hello. I too recently changed the EGR and something similar happened, but only once. When i got the car keys back and went to start the car, there was a stutter so I ofc asked the mechanics about it, and they said that it was just some air trapped in the system and that it wil go over by itself and it has. Maybe its getting air from somewhere it shouldn’t?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:27 AM   #3
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Did the recall 3 weeks ago, passed 3-4k km without issues.
Appreciate 0