BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Some Costs of Cosmetic Work in Toronto (Canada)

05-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
Old Boy
Oberstabsgefreiter
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xdrive

Some Costs of Cosmetic Work in Toronto (Canada)

For your amusement, here's a brief account of recent experiences with my attempts to do some minor adjustments to my brand new 2019 M550i (Alpine white) cosmetics. All I wanted to have done is change the Cerium grey colour of front bumper air duct trim pieces to white.

(1) A major BMW collision/paint shop in the area quoted $1,500 CND for painting those two air duct trim pieces white. They said they had to take the bumper cover off in order to do that.

(2) One of the highest rated vinyl wrap shops in and around Toronto, gave me a quote of $1,900 CND for the following work:
* vinyl wrap two air duct trim pieces in white.
* paint protection clear film application onto front bumper, 24" hood front section and front door handle cups.

It looks like those two trim pieces might remain stock cerium grey, and no paint protection film for my car.

(However, haven't given up completely yet. I am trying to get an estimate from my BMW dealer's service dept. for the removal of those air duct trim pieces without taking the bumper cover off. I have suggested to them cutting them up in a way which would allow much easier release of their retaining clips and removal. Then, I'd get a pair of new air ducts which would need to be painted white by a more reasonably priced automotive paint shop. Lastly, I hope the painted air ducts will pop easily into the bumper cover.)

Last edited by Old Boy; 05-25-2019 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
MoeMo87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435xi, M550i

Some Costs of Cosmetic Work in Toronto (Canada)

That's so dumb!!

Bmw dealerships are ridiculous. I wanted to change my kidney grill to gloss black. They told me the whole bumper needs to be removed and it's a 2 hour job! I did it in 5 mins lol

In your case, I would just buy a new OEM part and get it painted. Once you take the cerium gray ones off, sell them. People pay good amount of money for those.

This is a link where you can get the part from
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...QtNGwtdjgtZ2Fz

Incase you also want to change your sidewall piece this is a link for that part
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...QtNGwtdjgtZ2Fz
Appreciate 0