BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications RW carbon side skirts

09-20-2023, 08:24 PM   #1
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22’ M550i

RW carbon side skirts

In the market for some side skirts. Everything I have from RW carbon (m5 cs spoiler, cf license plate frame, rear wheel arches) fits very well. I’m likely going to stick with them for side skirts. I spoke to a representative from RW today in an attempt to get a better understanding about the differences between the 3 skirts they have on their site. The pics and descriptions online were super helpful. Here is what I was told by RW carbon.

Hope this helps as I know a few other people are currently in the market for side skirts:

“The RWS are essentially a straight shot across. If you went eye level with them, they don’t have much depth and are an excellent choice if you’re looking for something in the middle of the aggression range.

The 3D are most aggressive and climb up the rocker panel. If you were eye level it would have some extra depth to it.

The non-styled ones are essentially the OEM performance skirts. Thinnest at the eye level. The sides are tapered so the middle is the thickest point.”
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 04:23 PM   #2
Apex Missing Ape
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e; 2019 M550i

Which ones are you going with?
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Missing Ape View Post
Which ones are you going with?
I can’t decide the picture they have aren’t great quality and it’s really hard to tell. I think I’ll end up ordering the rws or 3D and front lip this week
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 05:35 AM   #4
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels1117 View Post
I can’t decide the picture they have aren’t great quality and it’s really hard to tell. I think I’ll end up ordering the rws or 3D and front lip this week
I have the Kies motorsport ones. They are on a big sale right now. May be worth it, I’m happy with their fitment (pics in my garage have them installed).

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...xtensions-pair
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 05:36 AM   #5
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
I have the Kies motorsport ones. They are on a big sale right now. May be worth it, I’m happy with their fitment (pics in my garage have them installed).

Can you send me pics or post them please? Did you cross shop these with any other skirts?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you send me pics or post them please? Did you cross shop these with any other skirts?
I was comparing them to the ones on autotecnik and RW. They honestly all look similar if you get the MP style.

Just went Kies at the time because they were more reasonably priced, and they weren’t even discounted like they are now.

Initially planned on going with RW but my experience with the diffuser has left me dreading them. Quality and support isn’t worth the premium they ask for, when their stuff is eBay tier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 01:27 PM   #7
M5pnw
HK #1
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Im about to order RW carbon front lip, Side skirts, and other carbon peices soon. Im gonna get the non style ones because i like how simple and clean it looks. Already got an RW carbon diffuser installed. Those kies ones look nice. good price too but is it full carbon fiber?
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 02:21 PM   #8
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5pnw View Post
Im about to order RW carbon front lip, Side skirts, and other carbon peices soon. Im gonna get the non style ones because i like how simple and clean it looks. Already got an RW carbon diffuser installed. Those kies ones look nice. good price too but is it full carbon fiber?
It is full carbon fiber. Good quality up front, will see how they last.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:04 PM   #9
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5pnw View Post
Yea the OEM style ones are thinner on the ends and thickest in the middle I saw a video of a guy installing actual OEM “bmw performance” side skirts on his m5 and they looked a lot like the rw carbon OEM styled ones. I really can’t tell the difference between the other two options on the website. Kies price is tempting however.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:06 PM   #10
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is full carbon fiber. Good quality up front, will see how they last.
Did you install yourself? Did you use 3M tape or just the self tapping screws? I’ve heard some complaints about the 3m tape just collecting debris so a lot of people opt to go without the tape. If the screws fail, the tape clearly won’t save you lol
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 09:48 PM   #11
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you install yourself? Did you use 3M tape or just the self tapping screws? I’ve heard some complaints about the 3m tape just collecting debris so a lot of people opt to go without the tape. If the screws fail, the tape clearly won’t save you lol
I did self tappers only for these. Did not want a fly trap on each side collecting garbage.

Kies is the same as OEM style. Wider in the middle, tapering in on both ends.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did self tappers only for these. Did not want a fly trap on each side collecting garbage.

The 3D rw carbon skirts are supposed to be the “most agressive” of the 3, they seem to be a bit thicker and taller from what I can see. It’s tough to tell how any of these will look in my car due to the unique color. I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I decide. I haven’t seen many great options for front lips outside of the rw carbon one. You?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 03:29 AM   #13
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The 3D rw carbon skirts are supposed to be the “most agressive” of the 3, they seem to be a bit thicker and taller from what I can see. It’s tough to tell how any of these will look in my car due to the unique color. I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I decide. I haven’t seen many great options for front lips outside of the rw carbon one. You?
Not for carbon fiber really. Maxton Design has a gloss black or “carbon look” option. I have the RW Carbon one but haven’t installed it yet because fitment wasn’t spot on, and being a 3-piece design it was going to have some weird gaps.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 05:36 AM   #14
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not for carbon fiber really. Maxton Design has a gloss black or “carbon look” option. I have the RW Carbon one but haven’t installed it yet because fitment wasn’t spot on, and being a 3-piece design it was going to have some weird gaps.
Interesting. I’ve bought 2-3 items from RW carbon and for me, their fitment has been top notch so I’m surprised to hear that. The only one they offer for my vehicle is a single piece front lip: https://www.********.com/267/1/0/1719/bmw-g30-lci-carbon-fiber-front-lip-spoiler.html

They also offer a Sliplo anti scrape kit for an additional charge that’s supposed to help save the bottom side of your front lip if you happen to curb it or whatever. Not sure if it’s worth it or if a similar item can be fashioned with some creativity at Home Depot….
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:42 AM   #15
Daniels1117
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What do you suppose the difference is between the side skirts you have and these:
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 05:49 AM   #16
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What do you suppose the difference is between the side skirts you have and these:
Those are the same ones I have. Looks like price was increased to where I paid for them though. Wonder if that was a price mistake originally? Seemed crazy cheap, I almost bought a backup pair.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 06:35 AM   #17
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. I’ve bought 2-3 items from RW carbon and for me, their fitment has been top notch so I’m surprised to hear that. The only one they offer for my vehicle is a single piece front lip: https://www.********.com/267/1/0/1719/bmw-g30-lci-carbon-fiber-front-lip-spoiler.html

They also offer a Sliplo anti scrape kit for an additional charge that’s supposed to help save the bottom side of your front lip if you happen to curb it or whatever. Not sure if it’s worth it or if a similar item can be fashioned with some creativity at Home Depot….
Yeah that’s what everyone tells me about RW, I guess I got two lemons in a row?

The one link doesn’t work, wondering what site you found the one piece at?

I never used a scrape kit, my issue usually isn’t the scraping but a head-on strike from someone’s blown out tire etc., that frays the carbon fiber. In the past I’ve just used some clear epoxy and repaired that myself without issue.
Appreciate 0