BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New 540i engine rough and misses on cold start

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
don1234
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Question New 540i engine rough and misses on cold start

The first start of the day I experience a rough fast idle which actually shakes the car until the idle speed drops to normal. Passengers have remarked "what's wrong with your car?"
Been back to the dealer and they have felt it and seen it. Car has only 1500 miles. Tried new plugs, new coils and a software update but nothing helps. Now the factory rep states this is "normal".
Does anyone else have this issue? Please help!
Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #2
AP
Brigadier General
AP's Avatar
845
Rep
3,116
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

In a word no.
Stick with it , doesn't sound right.

The only the engine does on starting is idle at about 1200rpms for about 15-20 seconds before it decreases back to its normal 800rpm idle speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
The first start of the day I experience a rough fast idle which actually shakes the car until the idle speed drops to normal. Passengers have remarked "what's wrong with your car?"
Been back to the dealer and they have felt it and seen it. Car has only 1500 miles. Tried new plugs, new coils and a software update but nothing helps. Now the factory rep states this is "normal".
Does anyone else have this issue? Please help!
Thanks much.
What kind of gasoline are you using?

Sounds like your engine is defective.
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #4
AP
Brigadier General
AP's Avatar
845
Rep
3,116
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The shaking doesn't sound right but as I say the higher revs at startup are normal until it drops down to about 800 rpms after 15-20 seconds.

With the car in neutral or park, if you rev it slightly up to say 1200-1500 revs , does it still shake? Ie is the problem there all the time or just at startup?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
1527
Rep
9,166
Posts

Drives: 2020 LCI in Donington/Aragon
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

MY old 540i M Sport 2017, never did that you have a problem either fuel is bad or an engine fault.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2019 M5 Competition MBB & Silverstone..
Appreciate 1
1badTKE11.00

      09-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
High Flier's Avatar
86
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: 2019 M550iX
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Get 93 octane if you can. Fuel does make a difference with the B58 engine. If you're stuck with 91 octane, try a different brand of gas.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flier View Post
Get 93 octane if you can. Fuel does make a difference with the B58 engine. If you're stuck with 91 octane, try a different brand of gas.
And don't use BJ's or Costco branded gasoline either.
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
don1234
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

It only does it after sitting for 8 hrs or more and at first start and fast (1200 rpm) idle. Smooths out as the idle speed drops to normal. No 93 octane gas here. Car has only 1500 miles so haven't had to refill the tank too many times yet but will try another brands of gas. I refuse to believe this is "normal".
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
It only does it after sitting for 8 hrs or more and at first start and fast (1200 rpm) idle. Smooths out as the idle speed drops to normal. No 93 octane gas here. Car has only 1500 miles so haven't had to refill the tank too many times yet but will try another brands of gas. I refuse to believe this is "normal".
Absolutely, this is not normal and much less on a new auto that retails well north of $60K.

I recommend using BMW approved gasolines... Shell is one of those.
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #10
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
112
Rep
266
Posts

Drives: 2019 M550i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Costco is actually on the list of top tier detergent gasoline!

Where is this BMW approved list?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
jwenga
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

If you read the manual, it recommends SHELL
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
kaphouston
New Member
3
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

I can assure you it has nothing to do with type of gas you are putting in the car. My new 2018 540i does the same thing. Shaking on cold start. Build date 1/1/18. Purchased 5/19/18. I have 2600 miles on it. I was on another forum and was told to use different gas and a different station. They were thinking water was in the gas.
I use Shell 93 octane always. My previous X5 did not do this and I used the same gas in it. I don't fill up at the same station all the time. So gas is not the issue.
I ended up taking the car in and my dealer did a software update on the whole car. He said it fixed the issue. Got it home. It did NOT fix the issue. Not sure where to go from here.
On another BMW forum site, there are people with this same problem. One guy has a build date of 12/17. He says that BMW knows of this issue but there is no fix as of yet.
Frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
High Flier's Avatar
86
Rep
229
Posts

Drives: 2019 M550iX
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Try the 3-series F30 B58 forum. There's a lot of knowledge and experience available to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
don1234
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I am the owner of the 12/17 build with the exact same issue. After 3 visits to the dealer to get a fix, BMW now says it is normal. I do not accept that notion. Many other owners state that their cars do not shake or miss when started. I live in a warm climate and wonder how it would act in a cold winter climate. One of my work orders state (at 800 miles) that the plugs were fouled, hence they replaced them. But no improvement.
What is your dealer telling you now?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
Phas
Private
Phas's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Great White North

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
I am the owner of the 12/17 build with the exact same issue. After 3 visits to the dealer to get a fix, BMW now says it is normal. I do not accept that notion. Many other owners state that their cars do not shake or miss when started. I live in a warm climate and wonder how it would act in a cold winter climate. One of my work orders state (at 800 miles) that the plugs were fouled, hence they replaced them. But no improvement.
What is your dealer telling you now?
The way owners have described this "cold" start problem is NOT normal and should not be accepted as normal. Cars do not "misfire" when the engine is cold unless there is a underlying problem. Although my G30 does not show those tendencies, that does not mean I do not believe the posters, that their cars exhibit this problem.
May I suggest that the car be taken back to the dealer and insist that a PUMA case be opened up on this issue and force BMW USA to have the Regional Manager look into the problem.
Another suggestion is to keep "bumping" this topic (Admin may get upset) to keep the topic current and make sure other G30 owners see it and create a ground swell that will get BMW USA's attention.
Cheers
__________________
Action is no less necessary than thought to the instinctive tendencies of the human frame.
Mohandas Gandhi
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #16
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

A quick search in Google, shows that this problem has been reported in B58 equipped vehicles (F30 340i among others) since early 2016.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1315542
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Kav7930.50

      09-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #17
don1234
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the information. I have read the posts and I am not sure if it is the same issue but it could be.

When I first start the car after sitting for maybe 8 hrs. the idle speed is 1200 rpm and that is when the car will actually shake and it feels like it is missing. As soon as the idle drops to around 800 rpm, it is perfectly normal.

Just curious, does everyones' 540i's go to fast idle (1200 rpm) even on a hot start? Mine does and I've owned many cars and that seems a little strange.
Just asking.......
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #18
DBO
Second Lieutenant
Australia
123
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Brisvegas AU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
Just curious, does everyones' 540i's go to fast idle (1200 rpm) even on a hot start? Mine does and I've owned many cars and that seems a little strange.
Just asking.......
Yep - mine does that as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #19
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
mk1-fan's Avatar
South Africa
565
Rep
572
Posts

Drives: 2018 G30 540i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Gauteng, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1234 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have read the posts and I am not sure if it is the same issue but it could be.

When I first start the car after sitting for maybe 8 hrs. the idle speed is 1200 rpm and that is when the car will actually shake and it feels like it is missing. As soon as the idle drops to around 800 rpm, it is perfectly normal.

Just curious, does everyones' 540i's go to fast idle (1200 rpm) even on a hot start? Mine does and I've owned many cars and that seems a little strange.
Just asking.......
Exactly the same with me.

On the first start up on the day, it will idle at around 1200 and there is a slight shaking of the engine. After a few seconds it will drop to about 800 and the shaking will be gone.

At every start up after that, the rpm will rise to 1200 for a few seconds and then settle down to about 700-800 rpm. No shaking occur then though.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
kaphouston
New Member
3
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

mk1-fan - this is EXACTLY what my car does. So the question is... is this NORMAL??? Obviously, I can feel the thing shaking but I can also see it shaking, like the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
530iDriver
Colonel
530iDriver's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
2,369
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 530i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaphouston View Post
mk1-fan - this is EXACTLY what my car does. So the question is... is this NORMAL??? Obviously, I can feel the thing shaking but I can also see it shaking, like the steering wheel.
I don't believe it is normal at all.

My B46 does not behave this way on cold start. Neither should your more expensive B58.
__________________
2017 BMW 530i, Sport Line,Alpine White, Canberra Beige Sensatec, 19 inch V-Spoke wheels, basic plain Jane build with no options whatsoever..... "Less is more".

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #22
don1234
New Member
1
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

If it is "normal", then why do the dealers attempt to fix it?
I think there are many vehicles that have this symptom but not all. There would be too many complaints if all 540's did this. I also think BMW doesn't know how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST