BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding updated Satnav map via USB stick

10-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

updated Satnav map via USB stick

I logged on to the connected drive web site and noted that there was an update for the sat nav maps. Europe 2017-3 so I figured I would get my car updated.
I don't think this is strictly necessary to be honest given there are OTA updates. I think (stress think) that the map download updates the whole of Europe and the OTA updates are for the UK (where I am) .

The download is quite large and requires a 64Gb USB stick.
Once downloaded, it is expanded on to the USB stick and then you simply put it in the USB slot in front of the cupholders.
The Idrive recognizes it and asks for confirmation that you want to update. Select OK and off it goes. Whilst this occurs (which take about 35 minutes) , the Idrive and at nav continue to be useable. However when it finishes, it requires a restart and the idrive resets. if you have a destination active at the time, directions stop during that reboot and once it has restarted, you are prompted to restart the directions.
All painless to do.

I think i read somewhere that there can be up to 4 OTA updates per year. (I had one shortly after picking up the car)

In the UK you get this feature free for the first 3 years, after which you have to pay (not sure how much)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I logged on to the connected drive web site and noted that there was an update for the sat nav maps. Europe 2017-3 so I figured I would get my car updated.
I don't think this is strictly necessary to be honest given there are OTA updates. I think (stress think) that the map download updates the whole of Europe and the OTA updates are for the UK (where I am) .

The download is quite large and requires a 64Gb USB stick.
Once downloaded, it is expanded on to the USB stick and then you simply put it in the USB slot in front of the cupholders.
The Idrive recognizes it and asks for confirmation that you want to update. Select OK and off it goes. Whilst this occurs (which take about 35 minutes) , the Idrive and at nav continue to be useable. However when it finishes, it requires a restart and the idrive resets. if you have a destination active at the time, directions stop during that reboot and once it has restarted, you are prompted to restart the directions.
All painless to do.

I think i read somewhere that there can be up to 4 OTA updates per year. (I had one shortly after picking up the car)

In the UK you get this feature free for the first 3 years, after which you have to pay (not sure how much)
Hi AP, yep you've just about summed it up, it does upload a bit quicker than that though mine did anyway.
How are you enjoying the car?, is it quite quick?.
      10-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes it's quick all right!
With it run in now with just about 1800 miles on it, I gave it a bit of welly yesterday. even this still wasn't full throttle and it is certianly quick, especially once the revs get up to about 5K where it feel like there is a bit more "boost".
I've not even put it in sport mode , its simply just in comfrot and the gear lever over to the left (what do you call that mode?).

So I still have more of its performance to see.

One thing though it doesn't feel like a big deal, which I guess is a good sign that they've done a good job here and made the whole thing capable without it feeling strained in anyway.

I've not really felt the xdrive benefit yet either, nothing obvious to me anyway although I'm sure it's been working behind the scenes.

Really enjoying the car. yesterday drove up to the British Motor Museum and wasn't in a rush to get back home so joined the M40 in the inside lane and enaged the ACC and lane assist and apart from having to touch the steering wheel to comply with the prompts and some of the turn offs where you have to just nudge the car back to the inside lane (as it wanted to join the turn off) , it drove me all the way down to the M25 without any other intervention. Some of that included some stop start and slow driving. Quite amazing technology.

The quiteness still impresses me .

Fuel economy is more than I thought possible with this car and got 44.5mpg (imperial) on one occasion, although that will not be typical and represents the best possible you can get. Around town, low twenties is the norm although my driving consists mostly of motorways. Averge MPG to date over 1800 miles is 34.0 mpg.

There have been no issues with the car at all, can't fault the build quality.

I'd really like the steering feel to offer the srpot setting in comfrot mode as I prefer the heavier steering personally. You can al least configure eco pro to use that so I have driven a lot of the miles in thsi mode which I find perfectly ok for most driving, there is ample performance if you are amongst typical other traffic in and around London.

So yes in summary , still very pleased and no regrets whatsoever about picking this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's quick all right!
With it run in now with just about 1800 miles on it, I gave it a bit of welly yesterday. even this still wasn't full throttle and it is certianly quick, especially once the revs get up to about 5K where it feel like there is a bit more "boost".
I've not even put it in sport mode , its simply just in comfrot and the gear lever over to the left (what do you call that mode?).

So I still have more of its performance to see.

One thing though it doesn't feel like a big deal, which I guess is a good sign that they've done a good job here and made the whole thing capable without it feeling strained in anyway.

I've not really felt the xdrive benefit yet either, nothing obvious to me anyway although I'm sure it's been working behind the scenes.

Really enjoying the car. yesterday drove up to the British Motor Museum and wasn't in a rush to get back home so joined the M40 in the inside lane and enaged the ACC and lane assist and apart from having to touch the steering wheel to comply with the prompts and some of the turn offs where you have to just nudge the car back to the inside lane (as it wanted to join the turn off) , it drove me all the way down to the M25 without any other intervention. Some of that included some stop start and slow driving. Quite amazing technology.

The quiteness still impresses me .

Fuel economy is more than I thought possible with this car and got 44.5mpg (imperial) on one occasion, although that will not be typical and represents the best possible you can get. Around town, low twenties is the norm although my driving consists mostly of motorways. Averge MPG to date over 1800 miles is 34.0 mpg.

There have been no issues with the car at all, can't fault the build quality.

I'd really like the steering feel to offer the srpot setting in comfrot mode as I prefer the heavier steering personally. You can al least configure eco pro to use that so I have driven a lot of the miles in thsi mode which I find perfectly ok for most driving, there is ample performance if you are amongst typical other traffic in and around London.

So yes in summary , still very pleased and no regrets whatsoever about picking this car.
Many thanks for the INFO, can't wait now.
Economy looks good too.
      10-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

just bear in mind that that economy probably represents the best you're likely to see, in the 30's is probably more realistic.

how long before you are expected to get yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
just bear in mind that that economy probably represents the best you're likely to see, in the 30's is probably more realistic.

how long before you are expected to get yours?
Yea 30/32MPG is what I would expect on average, almost all my driving is out of town.
March delivery I hope, I keep the M3 CP till then, the 540i MAY get a performance upgrade next year too 360 BHP, but that is a maybe.
I would put the performance pack on it if it's not silly money, that gives it 20 BHP and 50Nm, which should improve performance.
      10-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:

I sometime configure Sports individual to have sport steering with engine & gearbox in comfort. This is as close to 'comfort' as you can get with heavier steering. Only issue is the ASS doesn't function (which is so unobtrusive in this car that I wonder why anyone wants it turned off permanently).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I sometime configure Sports individual to have sport steering with engine & gearbox in comfort. This is as close to 'comfort' as you can get with heavier steering. Only issue is the ASS doesn't function (which is so unobtrusive in this car that I wonder why anyone wants it turned off permanently).
What's ASS?, Adaptive drive or Adaptive dampers which are part of Adaptive drive anyway.
      10-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
What's ASS?, Adaptive drive or Adaptive dampers which are part of Adaptive drive anyway.
it's just the stop start system. I can't recall what the A stands for but it's full name makes ASS.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

AUTO stop start! That's the one!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
it's just the stop start system. I can't recall what the A stands for but it's full name makes ASS.
Why would it be stopped?, typical BMW.
I would just drop it back to comfort or Adaptive in town though.
      10-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
That's exactly what I've been doing, the car sits in Adaptive most of the time and then when fancy a more spirited drive it goes to sport or sport+
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not sure on the reasoning, but all sport modes disable ASS. in the f10 it was just sport+
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #14
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Quote:
Here’s why. I turn it off the moment I start car. It’s annoying.

https://youtu.be/k159M8QhCIE
Appreciate 0