BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery The Age Old Question... to xDrive or not to xDrive

View Poll Results: xDrive or RWD
xDrive with Winter Tires 13 56.52%
Rear Wheel Drive with Winter Tires 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

02-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #23
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted8715 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
That is a very nice build. It looks like you ended up getting everything. Only thing I would add is the $150 space saver spare. I know you have rft but so do I. Trust me cheap option for a lot.
Top speed will be limited to 130mph because of all season but with 530e that shouldn't be a issue. More of a issue with 540 or 550 models. Mine also has all season square arrangement. I can rotate the tires.
Space saver spare Option https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570226
If I can get a decent discount, I can keep the build as is. The spare is not available on the 530e. The battery is under the trunk floor and the trunk floor is raised (like it is with the spare).
True that on spare. Good luck on negotiating. I got around 13% off MSRP. It really depends on how competitive the market place where you live is. I'm in DC metro area with 6 dealerships close by so it's competitive.
      02-03-2019, 11:22 PM   #24
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

Quote:
True that. Good luck on negotiating. I got around 13% off MSRP. It really depends on how competitive the market place where you like is. I'm in DC metro area with 5 dealerships close by so it's competitive.
I’m going to place an order for Performance Center Delivey so the whole country is my market I’m willing to call/email around to get the best deal.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-03-2019, 11:42 PM   #25
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted8715 View Post
Quote:
True that. Good luck on negotiating. I got around 13% off MSRP. It really depends on how competitive the market place where you like is. I'm in DC metro area with 5 dealerships close by so it's competitive.
I'm going to place an order for Performance Center Delivey so the whole country is my market I'm willing to call/email around to get the best deal.
So I got mine from Ralf at Sterling BMW in VA. Good deal, good allocation slot and he kept me informed about my production schedule. His email is
ralf.berthiez@bmwofsterling.com
      02-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #26
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I got mine from Ralf at Sterling BMW in VA. Good deal, good allocation slot and he kept me informed about my production schedule. His email is
ralf.berthiez@bmwofsterling.com
Thanks! I sent you a PM about Ralf.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #27
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Seems like an almost fully loaded build. I was also initially thinking of going for xDrive, however I am in California, where we really only need it in the winters to go up the mountains and we have an X5 for that. In the end I did not get it, for the sake of the seat of the pants driving feel that you get in a rear wheel drive BMW. Additionally I felt that it may make the car heavier and less well balanced. I didn't care for the HUD or soft close doors, as I felt less things that can break will mean less maintenance costs down the road. Additionally HUD means I cannot use polarized sunglasses and it still does not work with Apple Carplay and Waze which I primarily use for navigation.

Only items I do miss are wireless charging and rear sun shades, but then the space in the front for wireless charging is so tight that my iPhone XR got stuck in it (with a thin case), so initially I was planning to get a retrofit but not sure any more.

You are missing the staggered wheels and tires in your build as you chose the all season tires vs performance. Just in case you like that look.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:41 AM   #28
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BMW sets the top end speed based on the tires you initially order. All Seasons get 130mph and Performance get 155mph. That said I got the All Season because that makes sense for where I live. The car is actually faster and more stable on dry roads with xDrive. I assume it adds some weight but worth the extra weight.

I could live w/o soft close doors but not HUD. The HUD and Full Digital display are great. My biggest regret is that I left off the 3D cameras by mistake and regretting it every day.

Not sure why your iPhone is tight. My iPhone XS Max fits perfect but no room to spare. Even though I have a iPhone I don't use CarPlay. Just Bluetooth.
      02-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #29
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
iPhone XS as well fits exactly right (thin case as well)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #30
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Quote:
BMW sets the top end speed based on the tires you initially order. All Seasons get 130mph and Performance get 155mph. That said I got the All Season because that makes sense for where I live. The car is actually faster and more stable on dry roads with xDrive. I assume it adds some weight but worth the extra weight.

I could live w/o soft close doors but not HUD. The HUD and Full Digital display are great. My biggest regret is that I left off the 3D cameras by mistake and regretting it every day.

Not sure why your iPhone is tight. My iPhone XS Max fits perfect but no room to spare. Even though I have a iPhone I don't use CarPlay. Just Bluetooth.
Maybe my XR case is slightly thicker, however, it is a very tight squeeze in there, I was trying it on a dealer lot and it got stuck, took me 15mins to just get it out

I did drive the xDrive 530e which is definitely great on Snow/Wet/Dry pavement however it also took away some feel from the driving, the edginess was missing. This is my 4th BMW, all except X5 are rear wheel drive and I do love that slight difference in rear wheel drive. Interestingly enough the xDrive though being 110lb heavier has a better weight distribution with the rear wheel drive being heavier in the back due to the heavy battery.

3D View is definitely amazingly useful, plus you get the remote 3D view with it. I had to get the parking assist package just for that as they had taken it out of the original Premium Package.

Last edited by jeep; 02-11-2019 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #31
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post

You are missing the staggered wheels and tires in your build as you chose the all season tires vs performance. Just in case you like that look.
I originally thought I would get the performance tires, but changed my mind as this will be a lease and I figured all seasons would wear slower, produce less road noise and have a better ride.

I'm still open to changing though. I'm also still on the fence about xDrive. We've had so much snow this year and my RWD 330e on winter tires has been great. Over the past weekend driving back from Chicago, we got caught in some heavy snow and then freezing drizzle. Obviously had to slow down for the conditions, but otherwise no issues. I will says carrying a few hundred pounds of IKEA furniture might have helped it feel more stable.

There were a few pickup truck drivers and crossover drivers along the way that didn't fare so well...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #32
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Besides with a 530e I don't think going over 130mph will be a issue. Like I said I got the all season tires and am happy with them. I don't want separate winter tires to store. The all seasons are a square instead of staggered setup which means you can rotate them for longer life.

I didn't realize they charge the premium package to pp2. Cameras and side sensors, couldn't care about self parking.
      02-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #33
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My order is in! Build Week 11. I ended up switching to the Luxury Line and ordered all the options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #34
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Very nice. You will love Mediterranean Blue.