BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Official: BMW 5-Series Sedan (G30) Wallpapers, Specs, Press Release

10-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #287
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Seems like BMW is falling behind when it comes to technology. I was hoping for a decent upgrade in tech from the 7 series release, but it looks like it is pretty much the same.
There is still more to come between now and Feb. Underneath, the Gxx 7 was an enormous move forward. The G30 improves upon those existing systems and will subsequently introduce even more which will appear on the G11/12 and other future models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112 View Post
Did I read the voice control information correctly? It works in English, French, and Spanish?
What about German???
For "North American Market" - which includes Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, Colombia, and Venezuela.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
A well equipped E43 is about $85-88k. A well equipped M5 is about $110k.

So the M550i is likely to be close to the E43 I think.
Pricing out a E300 4Matic equipped as near identical as possible to a typical (non-captive market) lease Spec 530i XDrive came to $74,305. 530iX will come in about $6500 lower due to the features that are standard in the BMW, optional on the Merc combined with its Package Bundling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
German price list is out:

http://www.bmw.de/dam/brandBM/market...6287602225.pdf

The prices are pretty much the same as for the F10. It starts ~2000 more, but it has a bit more standard equipment, so it's more or less the same.

One thing I noticed and did not like so much, is that it is not possible to take Adaptive drive (dynamic drive + dynamic damper control) and Integral steering (4 wheel steering) together...

So now the question is, which one to choose.
The Integral Active Steering (Stand Alone) is a new system that adjusts the toe links only. It's very similar to the 4WS on 911's and I mentioned it back at the beginning of the year as being tested for the M5. Adaptive Drive should still include HSR (Active Rear Steering as on Gxx 7er).

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
I am so happy the hood-line is gone from the new 7 and new 5.

I've given up on the idea of a manual in a new sedan, especially the 550. I hope when the next version of the M3/4 comes out it will also have an unbroken hood. The hood line killed it for me all current/prev gen. :\

Yes the grills are giant and the lights are giant, and the rear end is like the rear of every other car now. Overall I like it. I think I will really like it very soon.

The only two things I hate is the absurd amount of sensors and cameras on every corner/panel/surface. the one in between the kidney grills is just stupid. That couldnt have been hidden/put in the grill

Expectation is that the 550 will get the N63TU. I see mention of "revised chain guides" in some other older threads. Does that mean, not a time-bomb, or "improved" so-actually-more-time-bomb-you-better-lease-and-run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I don't think E43 prices will be that high in the US... I would expect them to be closer to 540i prices than M550i prices.

The M550i will be pretty much a lease-only car due to the engine, so that's a factor as well until they start using a more durable engine (it looks like they do have a new 4L V8 coming.) Meanwhile, I think the Audi S6 will continue to be the one to get in this segment if you want to buy.
Active Pedestrian Protection Systems have improved and become mandatory in many places so less aesthetic sacrifice is necessary now. The photos seem to exaggerate the scale of the lights and grills. The tail lights are slimmer and about the same width as the F10. The headlamps and grills are roughly the same size, but the connection of the two and the complex shape of the kidney trim doesn't photograph well. In person the design comes off very well. The trim between the grills has started to grow on me but I still think it could be improved upon. I may be in the minority, but I love the connected kidneys on the 2002 Hommage. If they would coordinate the center trim piece finish with the grill surround finish, I think it would come off as an intended design detail rather than an afterthought.

BMW went with a new engine designation method once turbocharging was introduced so seeing the N63 or S63 designation should not be a surprise nor a cause for negativity. Unless the block is of a 100% re-design, the first 3 characters will remain. It's the latter digits that are more important. The G30/1/2 and F90 production codes have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Generation Engine Designations. The N63B44T2 and N63B40T1 is the current 50i gasoline power plant depending on market. The M550i may be designated T3 (4th Generation) depending on what changes become production spec. This is the same motor I saw in an early G11 750i prototype. The visible differences compared to the N63TU2 are visible in the single image released so far. One of these is something many moan about...it has a....physical dipstick.

Both the 4L and 4.4L production codes are listed through 2019. The 4.4L is the better motor compared to the 4L variant and I have not heard any intention to add the smaller displacement variant to additional markets.

I estimate the avg MSRP for an E43 to be in the low $90k area. The M550i will probably average in the upper $90k area but will be much more car in almost every way, especially performance. I don't expect it to be a very high volume vehicle but I do agree with the High Lease bias due to the position it will have. Not quite as high as the M5 (which is going to close out at close to 99% Lease vs Purchase for 2016), but higher than the F10 550i with slightly higher total volume.

The performance will be equal to and, in some areas, better than the F10 M5. The F90 M5 will be more expensive than the car it's replacing so the M550i offers more distinction than the F10 550i did for those who don't feel the need or cannot make the $25k step to get into an M5.

Last edited by lemetier; 10-14-2016 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #288
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I don't think E43 prices will be that high in the US... I would expect them to be closer to 540i prices than M550i prices.

The M550i will be pretty much a lease-only car due to the engine, so that's a factor as well until they start using a more durable engine (it looks like they do have a new 4L V8 coming.) Meanwhile, I think the Audi S6 will continue to be the one to get in this segment if you want to buy.
I haven't seen many issues with the N63TU yet, have you?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #289
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMB
No Individual colors yet?
I have also checked pricelist on BMW.de, and have noticed the dash can only be covered with Sensatec fake leather, and no Nappa leather. I hope it will be available very soon.
Individuals colors are coming, six metallic colors and four frozen colors.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #290
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
As in laser lights available for the 530e? (Fine)
Or M-models only? (Not fine)
M5.
      10-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #291
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
As in laser lights available for the 530e? (Fine)
Or M-models only? (Not fine)
M5.
How powerful are the lasers? Will they be capable of setting the E63 and RS6 on fire at 1km?
Appreciate 1
DD335i117.00
      10-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #292
Meast
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
[*] Wireless Apple CarPlay. The first time ever seen in a car.

Every BMW with CarPlay is wireless.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #293
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

i can already picture how great the car will look lowered!

Appreciate 2
      10-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #294
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Yes, I have an N63TU in my 2016 550i. It burns a lot of oil - a quart per 1,200 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #295
AntonySMith
Private
Rep
Drives: no car

2017 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Official Review

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #296
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMB
No Individual colors yet?
I have also checked pricelist on BMW.de, and have noticed the dash can only be covered with Sensatec fake leather, and no Nappa leather. I hope it will be available very soon.
Individuals colors are coming, six metallic colors and four frozen colors.
Not specific to G30, but these colors are going into production for BMW this quarter. Individual Paint will probably begin availability for RoW in Feb for March production, with the US a month or two later.

MISANOBLAU MET.
SONNENSTEIN MET.
SEASIDE BLUE MET.
ACID ORANGE MET.
LUMINOUSGOLD PEARL MET.
ACHATGRAU MET. MATT
STRATOBLAU MET. MATT
VERDE MANTIS
RHODONITSILBER MET. (this one will be a base for another yet to be named Frozen Color)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #297
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
Yes, I have an N63TU in my 2016 550i. It burns a lot of oil - a quart per 1,200 miles or so.
Which is, for all intents and purposes, 2 generations behind the G30 M550i.

N63TO0 - Gen 1
N63TO1(TU) - Gen 2
N63TO2(TU2) - Gen 3
N63TXX (the G30 M550i M Performance Variant) - Gen3.5 or 4.

Gen 1 was rather unfortunate with both regional driving condition induced issues combined with manufacturing attributable problems. Neither is "good" but the provenance wouldn't be so negative had it only been one or the other.

Oil "consumption" on N/S63TU is attributable most of the time to how the car was driven during break-in. If it was conservative to moderate, it will request oil over time. How the car is typically driven post initial break-in will determine how often that request is. The large amount of torque available from very low engine speeds tends to result in frequent lugging (low engine speed + large throttle demands). Subsequent drops in throttle demand momentary exceeds the the engine pumping ability causing fuel to blow down past the rings, diluting the oil. The diluted oil then makes its way up past the rings into the combustion chamber during moderate to high engine speeds with low to mid throttle demand. All mechanical devices have the occasional failure but the TU and newer have not displayed any major, widespread issues. Same can't be said of the B58 though the issues seem to be resolved now.

Some have never needed to add much if any oil to an N/S63 while others need a liter in less than 1k miles. Personally, I've had several of each N63 and S63 variant produced so far and have never added a drop to all but one. The sole exception was a very early build F10 550i due to a return line leak...not consumption/dilution.

Enthusiast Forums tend to exaggerate and circulate false information when it comes to "widespread" major problems. Search the F8x forum and it would seem that the S55 is spinning cranks every day somewhere and BMW modified the bedplate to correct a manufacturing issue. Truth is, a handful of cars have done so, every single one was modified, and the strengthened bedplate was to allow for the increased power of the M4 GTS. All S55's incorporated the change to reduce production costs rather than increase the GTS price even more.

Last edited by lemetier; 10-15-2016 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #298
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast
This version for ID6 is slightly different than ID5. Regulatory Approval is still pending for new capabilities to be officially offered. It's security related and two major gov't bodies have contradicting requirements at this time so it could be a while before these are introduced in all markets. There are some hints within the current press releases though...

A feature that may appear pointless right now may become highly desirable later on.

*cough*
Attached Images

Last edited by lemetier; 10-14-2016 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
DD335i117.00
      10-14-2016, 11:19 PM   #299
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
How powerful are the lasers? Will they be capable of setting the E63 and RS6 on fire at 1km?
For a little un-bias fun, Forward Lighting based on Laser is probably not going to stick around for long. Right now they're simply used as a Long Range Über High Beam which is fine with the long but narrow beam capability. They're also completely automatic and cannot be controlled by the driver. To achieve the necessary size and shape of standard low and high beam patterns, the laser has to rapidly move across micro reflectors or vice versa. Glare Free High Beam is even more complicated to reliably implement, let alone the HD Pixel Lighting just over the horizon.

MB Multibeam Gen 2 already outperforms Laser, and gen 3 will be revolutionary. VAG has committed itself to Laser for the next few years, and BMW is comfortably in the middle with both options available. With the components now able to take advantage of common module construction, time to market is possible in just over 12 months from concept to production.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clbmw632.50
      10-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #300
Meast
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast
This version for ID6 is slightly different than ID5. Regulatory Approval is still pending for new capabilities to be officially offered. It's security related and two major gov't bodies have contradicting requirements at this time so it could be a while before these are introduced in all markets. There are some hints within the current press releases though...

A feature that may appear pointless right now may become highly desirable later on.

*cough*
CarPlay will function differently on iDrive 6.0 in what way? Currently the only thing I see "missing" is the ability to read texts on the screen, as opposed to Siri reading them out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #301
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Overall looks great, bar some details.

Whatever happened with the so nicely integrated nav screens of the E46/39/38?

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #302
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post

They were positioned far too low out of the drivers eyesight and looked like TV monitors. Unlike today's era of free standing flat screens.
      10-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #303
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Attached Images

Last edited by Laki021; 10-15-2016 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 03:46 PM   #304
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MParallel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
They were positioned far too low out of the drivers eyesight and looked like TV monitors. Unlike today's era of free standing flat screens.
I personally really like the tablet style screens. They sit higher on the dash and when you view them, your eyes have a shorter distance to move from the front view and I do not lose sight of road in front of me.

Also, I find the new G30 a stunning looking car! I thought the F10 very attractive but this is "WOW!" The grills, the lights, the stance..and then the interior "WOW!"

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #305
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Its when you sit in a 90's BMW and use the 8-bit pixel resolution of the navigation/interface that you are more familiar with modern technology.
      10-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #306
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

As expected the renders of the Touring are now entering the media.
World Premiere in Geneva in March, same engines as the Sedan including M550i and once again M550d. On sale by the second quarter of 2017(Europe).
Attached Images

10-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #307
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
As expected the renders of the Touring are now entering the media.
World Premiere in Geneva in March, same engines as the Sedan including M550i and once again M550d.
530e Touring?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #308
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
I wonder why the S63TU was so much better then mine never used any oil over 30k miles and was a very strong engine.