BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions UK 540i Possible Order - What seats and what essential options?

12-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

UK 540i Possible Order - What seats and what essential options?

I'm in the process of moving on from my 640d, I've pretty much settled on a 540i xDrive Touring, however while I've decided on the car, I've not decided on the options.

I've been given conflicting information from my dealer about which seats are which. Basically, what I care about is getting the softest and comfiest seats I can get. The one I sat in was an SE spec but I don't think it had comfort seats, and those seats were very soft and comfy. I definitely don't want sports seats anymore, so it's between standard seats and comfort I guess. As I say, I think what I sat on was standard but not sure.

Also what other options are essential? I love gadgets!

On my 6 I have

Comfort Access
Soft Close
H/K Audio
HUD
Heated Wheel
Rear view camera
plus some others.

I definitely want:

Comfort Access
HUD
Camera
LED Headlights
Entertainment with screen mirroring/CarPlay
wireless charging
Electric boot

Of those, which ones come as part of a pack and therefore which packs should specify and which other options would you advise me to get? Are the Driving Assistant features worthwhile as I like the idea of them.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Comfort seats i would say are a must. Sport seats are ok for some people, but many complain on the comfort.
Other essentials for me would be the visibility pack and advanced parking that has the surround view. Add in the HK speakers and adaptive dampers.
Not a fan of some of the driver assistance items, like lane assist, but the auto cruise control might be one of the best of these, but if you like gadgets, go for the advanced pack, i am sure you wont be disappointed
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

What is important is what features you need, which you want, which you don't care about, and which you absolutely don't want.

Having a bunch of strangers tell you what you should order when their desires and needs are not necessarily yours doesn't make a lot of sense.

There is a longish thread going on right now on the other big BMW forum about how uncomfortable the sport seats are. I don't know since I have the luxury seating package. But if you are thinking of going with the standard seats, make sure you sit in them and take a test drive to make sure they work for you.

For me...the two essentials are ACC (which in the G30 means the driver assistance plus package) and the HUD. But, again, those are my essentials, not yours.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes echo this. By all means ask here but best to try these out if you can by visiting several dealerships if necessary to try out seating and features so you can decide what's best for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

To answer your questions in the UK
Comfort access, electric boot, reverse camera and auto folding mirror all come under comfort package (in addition to full electric seat or comfort seat)
HUD and enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging come under technology package (in addition to hotspot, BMW display key etc)
CarPlay is a standalone option and now time limited and could be added at anytime
      12-31-2017, 02:22 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Multi Contour Seats are must-have if you are fond of comfortably and possibly the highest seats .
You could order massing option too if you like ,I don't have it and not regretting not having massaging seats
Comfort Access covers automatic trunk lid as well .
Make sure you want panoramic view, it further extends the visibility and helps reduce blind spots when getting out of the parking lots or about to making a turn at the corners .It shows if there's an object at which direction you want to make a turn either left or right
What you definitely want accessories are great

Last edited by Nivarox; 12-31-2017 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
If you like gadgets, then I'd say you should get Driving Assistant Plus and Parking Assistant Plus. Driving Assistant Plus isn't perfect but as a level 2 semi autonomous system, it's pretty good. You'll learn very quickly its limitations and after that it's about using it where it works well. I wrote a review on it in this forum if you are interested to know my experience with it. Good luck with your order.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:46 AM   #8
JD2005
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530d m sport xdrive saloon

The comfort seats are awesome. I went to a dealer and switched between sitting in a 5 (sports) and a 7 series (comfort) to decide.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
diinky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 2.0d m sport

I have the sport seats in my 530e M Sport and I find them very comfortable.
I do long journeys as well, 300-400 miles a day so they get a good sitting in.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #10
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Can anyone tell me which seats these are? Sorry it’s the best pic I can find of the car I sat in
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Look like 'normal' seats as in the SE spec.

Sports seats (as in M sport package) have bigger side bolsters and extending thigh support on the base. Comfort/multi contour seats have a quilted stitching pattern.

Everyone is different - I have the sports seats with electric adjustments including lumbar and side bolsters - and I find them fine. Best thing is to go to a dealer and try out the different types...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I agree. On my multi contour seats the thigh support extends out (electrically -- on my previous 330e it was manual). Your thigh support looks like it doesn't extend.

I am not tall (used to be 5'8" but on my last doctor visit I apparently shrunk to 5'7") but I still immediately move the thigh support out to give additional support.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Here's the different seats for the G30.

Standard seats (not available in the US):

Sport seats:
Leather

Clout/Alcantara

Comfort/Multi coutour seats:
Dakota leather

Nappa leather

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |

Last edited by remmib; 12-31-2017 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Perfect thanks. I found the standard seats to be very comfy coming from comfort seats in my 6. As I said, I want something plush and soft, which my 6 seats are not. I need to try out the multi contour seats I guess and see what they are like
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2005 View Post
The comfort seats are awesome. I went to a dealer and switched between sitting in a 5 (sports) and a 7 series (comfort) to decide.
FYI FWIW:

I had my family in for a visit and I drove to the restaurant. They fought over who got to sit in the front passenger seat and get a massage. Everyone loved it. My car is only one week old but I have found the massage function wonderfully relaxing. Very gentle but stimulating.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
FYI FWIW:

I had my family in for a visit and I drove to the restaurant. They fought over who got to sit in the front passenger seat and get a massage. Everyone loved it. My car is only one week old but I have found the massage function wonderfully relaxing. Very gentle but stimulating.
Ive just done a new config on BMW with comfort and massage seats, as well as loads of other options, but I think it's going to be above my budget. I've sent it through Carwow but if anyone has any tips on getting a better deal, please share!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

ive configured m sport spec but with m sport suspension deletion as I want a softer ride, has anyone else done this? I think I can live with out the extra 10mm drop for the sake of comfort. However does keep sport suspension but adding damper control give as good an effect as removing m sport suspension completely?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
AP
Major General
Rep

if you select VDC / EDC then that removes the 704 sports suspension.
So you can either SE OR 704 MSport OR VDC/EDC

So if you order a msport car with out the msport suspension you get what would be on a SE by default. So if you driven a SE model (without any changes to its suspension) that's what you would get.

lots of chat about suspension here so best to try it out your self to get what YOU want.

the advantage of VDC/EDC is that you have 2 settings, a more comfort orientated setting and a firmer 'sportier' setting.

As I say , best to try out both so you establish what you want. Size of wheel may presumably also have an impact on the ride so make sure you are comparing the suspension with the same wheel size to get the best comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #19
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
if you select VDC / EDC then that removes the 704 sports suspension.
So you can either SE OR 704 MSport OR VDC/EDC

So if you order a msport car with out the msport suspension you get what would be on a SE by default. So if you driven a SE model (without any changes to its suspension) that's what you would get.

lots of chat about suspension here so best to try it out your self to get what YOU want.

the advantage of VDC/EDC is that you have 2 settings, a more comfort orientated setting and a firmer 'sportier' setting.

As I say , best to try out both so you establish what you want. Size of wheel may presumably also have an impact on the ride so make sure you are comparing the suspension with the same wheel size to get the best comparison.
Thanks for that, I didn't realise adding VDC removes sport suspension. I thought it was an addition to either. I'll try and find some cars with both and see what I prefer
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #20
AP
Major General
Rep

hopefully your local dealership can help (looking at your profile , that's where I bought my car from)

I took out a 540i with 20 inch wheels and VDC/EDC and was sold although I've not driven any other combination of wheels / suspension on the G30 for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #21
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Have you driven adaptive drive and would you say it’s worthwhile over just VDC?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
AP
Major General
Rep

no haven't driven adaptive drive at all. so sorry cannot comment.

I will say though that is probably quite a rare option and I suspect you will struggle to find a car with it to try.
Appreciate 0