BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications NEW RELEASE: Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Elite (M550i)

05-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Stage 1 DINANTRONICS Elite (M550i)

Name:  G30_M550i_Forum_Banner.jpg
Views: 7452
Size:  267.0 KB

DINANTRONICS Elite For the BMW G30 M550i

Dinan's roots are well entrenched in the 5 and 7 series BMW with those sedans being a cornerstone of each generation of Dinan tuning. While most aftermarket companies tend to focus on the sporty coupes and smaller 3 series we have strived to ensure that the bigger cars, and those who drive them, have an outlet to pursue enhanced performance as well. From the E28 535i to the F10 M5 the course has remained; and it now continues into the G chassis 5 & 7 series.

With a substantial bump in torque down low of over 90 lb-ft of torque on some applications, the 'seat of your pants' will surely approve. Coupled with a consistent 30-40 HP increase (or more on the 750i) over the entire power band the DINANTRONICS system is a power solution you will enjoy day after day. The tuner utilizes a myriad of inputs to achieve the increase in power but more importantly uses these extra inputs to deliver the smoothest factory-like experience possible just as you would expect from any Dinan tuning product. Unadulterated enjoyment is a DINANTRONICS module away.

Part Number: D440-1656-ST1
Applications: 2018+ G30 M550i Sedan
Product Page / Pricing: https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...?series=&mid=/
Max Power Gains: +50 HP / +57 TRQ (Crank); +40 HP / +47 TRQ (Wheel)
Install Time: 2 hours
Release Date: Available Now!

Name:  M550i_DPT.jpg
Views: 6966
Size:  180.8 KB

Description: Stage 1 (DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner ONLY) Maximum Power on the G30 M550i 590 HP, 650 lb-ft of torque (Crank); 475 HP, 562 lb-ft of torque (Wheel).

The Dinan Difference

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is a highly engineered piece of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance to levels the stock programming is not allowed to venture into. It does this without negatively affecting your new car warranty coverage and without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems. It is also the only tuning device designed to be emissions legal in all 50 states. These items are unique to Dinan and together they embody the apex of performance engineering in a powerful, reliable, and warrantied package.

The Dinan Difference is possible by employing a full staff of talented engineers that are well rounded in many facets of automotive engineering and backed by a wealth of hands on knowledge. Stemming from diverse backgrounds not only on racing teams but on standard factory production line vehicles we have seen it all. Manipulating these signals with an adept hand all the while keeping an engine running at its best and with the most reliable power is what Dinan is all about.

Well Engineered

Plug-in tuning devices all have one thing in common, they send a modified signal to the factory ECU, telling it the boost pressure is below target values. This then causes the factory ECU to raise the boost pressure to what it thinks is the correct value. This modified boost pressure signal causes errors in fuel mixture and ignition timing. These errors can cause the on-board diagnostics systems to set faults, but they can also cause exceedingly high catalyst temperatures and a loss of power. In addition, when power is increased, exhaust gas temperature will increase as well and this must be countered with a slightly richer air/fuel mixture. The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner has the capability to correct short term trim as well as ignition timing errors induced by raising boost pressure. This enables Dinan calibration engineers to optimize air/fuel mixture and ignition timing at elevated boost pressure throughout the entire gamut of engine RPM and engine load. Additionally, the ability to correct short term trim corrections (the difference between target and scheduled fuel mixture) remain within OEM specifications. This minimizes knock sensor activity, which in turn means smooth engine performance, catalyst protection and power increase, while this is also required to make the car emissions legal.

State-of-the-Art Hardware

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is engineered using the best possible components and advanced hardware. The wiring harness uses OE connectors and expandable braided wiring sleeves ensuring that all visible components appear as if they come straight from the factory. More importantly however it guarantees long lasting and dependable performance due to the use of high heat, moisture and abrasion resistant materials and design. The other hardware element involved is the Dinan electronic control unit (ECU) itself. While its outward appearance may seem tame, the processing power and sophistication held within its internal circuitry is anything but. Capable of delivering signals to various systems at an astonishing 4000 times per second the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner yields the power to control all current signals delivered to the ECU as well as those developed in the future without a hiccup in performance or reliability. This immense processing power equates to a high degree of engine control resulting in a much lower likelihood of setting a fault. In addition smoother running conditions and superior drivability are achieved, all of which are Dinan hallmarks.

Unmatched Warranty

Dinan's comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1997, provides superior warranty coverage to that which you would find elsewhere. If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan® products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty. The manufacturer's new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold. BMW automobiles can now be performance-tuned without the associated concern of negatively affecting the new car warranty coverage.

Designed to be 50 State Emissions Legal

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner was designed and built to be the only tuning box on the market that is emissions legal in all 50 states. CARB EO has been submitted and approval is pending.

Drivability

There is more to a tune than just cranking up the boost. Power needs to come on smoothly and in a predictable way to make the car as fun to drive at wide open throttle as cruising around town. It is your BMW, but reborn with new found acceleration and speed.

Installation

Installation takes under an hour and is available through our network of 300+ Dinan Dealers. Log on to www.dinancars.com to find your nearest dealer.

Designed for the Future

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner was engineered with future expansion of functionality in mind. Boasting the most powerful processing power on the market the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner can handle more functions and processes than any of its contemporaries. To that end the Dinan performance tuner is capable of interfacing with much more should the need arise down the road. This means that when new functions are developed there will be no need for a new tuning module. Simply a short software update at your local Dinan dealer. Potentially a supplemental harness may be needed to take full advantage of more advanced stages and bolt-ons in future development. Also keep in mind that if you are upgrading in stages, the only cost incurred to you is the price difference between the two stages (and any supporting hardware mods).

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Dinan guarantees you will be impressed by the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner and the performance it provides that we offer a 3-Day return policy. If you aren't satisfied with what the Dinan solution brings to the table within 3 days of install you can go back to your dealer for a full refund (installation labor costs still apply).

For a full breakdown of the various tuning options within the tiered DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner lineup please visit our comparison page, HERE, to understand which step in the 'evolution of power' is right for you.

Name:  550iCrank.jpg
Views: 7880
Size:  244.1 KB
Name:  550iWheel.jpg
Views: 6893
Size:  242.1 KB

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 05-14-2018 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
forza19763391.00
      05-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Good stuff! Is this the same tune we have seen on initial reviews online?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Good stuff! Is this the same tune we have seen on initial reviews online?
More or less. The one that was reviewed would be the equivalent to a press tune. It was rated at 604 HP and 635 TRQ. The retail tune is 590 HP and 650 TRQ. Once the vehicle came back last week we revised the tuning slightly for general consumption after the feedback we received from media and looking at the extended logs while it was on the west coast. Opted to put a bit more emphasis on power down low (TRQ) and remove some from the top (HP).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Very cool, one last question and appreciate the feedback.

Can this be self installed and retain the Dinan warranty, or is it expected a Dinan retailer would complete the installation?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Nice. What did you measure the stock motor at - BMW lists as 456 HP, but usually under rates as we know.
      05-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Very cool, one last question and appreciate the feedback.

Can this be self installed and retain the Dinan warranty, or is it expected a Dinan retailer would complete the installation?
You can install yourself but it would create a warranty gray area as we can not guarantee your labor. Basically if you do something in the course of installation (ie: dont unplug the battery and fry the DME) or the cause of failure can be traced to an improper installation then it would not be covered under warranty. We will always recommend having product installed by an authorized dealer just to eliminate potential issues but you can self-install if desired. Just have some fine print to deal with is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Nice. What did you measure the stock motor at - BMW lists as 456 HP, but usually under rates as we know.
Measured stock numbers are listed in the charts above but as is recent tradition their crank stock numbers are closer to what is actually produced at the wheel. We measured the stock car at 433 HP /472 TRQ (wheel) or 540 HP /595 TRQ (crank)
Appreciate 2
forza19763391.00
Mr.blue218.50
      05-14-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
unlvjeffro
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

I was looking at the wheel HP/TQ curves and noticed that the max TQ on the curve is 497, where you have said the max TQ is 472??? The HP curve shows 433, and you said 433 so that seems to be correct, but TQ is incorrect, either in typo or graph??? Also the Dinan wheel graph shows max TQ of 543, but you mention 562.

Could you clarify for us please.

Last edited by unlvjeffro; 05-14-2018 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvjeffro View Post
I was looking at the wheel HP/TQ curves and noticed that the max TQ on the curve is 497, where you have said the max TQ is 472??? The HP curve shows 433, and you said 433 so that seems to be correct, but TQ is incorrect, either in typo or graph??? Also the Dinan wheel graph shows max TQ of 543, but you mention 562.

Could you clarify for us please.
472 is a typo. Apparently was looking at the wrong line (max tuned HP). Will get that corrected in a bit.

The wheel peak numbers happen in between the 500 RPM data points. 475 HP happens at 5300 RPM. 562 TRQ occurs at 3200 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
ellisina4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Hello,
I understand that the only thing that really matters is the delta between measured HP and TQ before and after the tune.
At the same time I have a few questions as I am considering purchasing Dinan tune for my M550.
1. Stock F10 550 that I currently own was dyno'ed by Dinan at the similar HP as rated by the factory, while TQ was about 55lb higher.
2. Stock G30 550 was dyno’ed by Dinan at about 85HP and 115TQ higher than the factory rating
Is that really possible? Are you using the same Dyno?
3. G30 Stock vs tuned delta is about 50 peak HP and 55TQ based on your measurements and brings the total measured 590HP and 650TQ
4. Dinan claims that S1 package (includes this tune, midpipes and exhaust) delivers 606HP and 625TQ
5. Dinan also claims that this S1 G30 produces more HP and TQ than F90 M5
What am I missing here... if your dyno is measuring consistently higher than factory, shouldn’t you wait to dyno f90 M5 before this kind of claim is made? Dinan focuses on 600+ numbers instead of simply claiming about 50HP and TQ above factory rating… I understand that you are a business but this kind of marketing…
F10 550 tune is $2600; G30 550 tune is $1700… Is this introductory pricing?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisina4 View Post
Hello,
I understand that the only thing that really matters is the delta between measured HP and TQ before and after the tune.
At the same time I have a few questions as I am considering purchasing Dinan tune for my M550.
1. Stock F10 550 that I currently own was dyno'ed by Dinan at the similar HP as rated by the factory, while TQ was about 55lb higher.
2. Stock G30 550 was dyno’ed by Dinan at about 85HP and 115TQ higher than the factory rating
Is that really possible? Are you using the same Dyno?
3. G30 Stock vs tuned delta is about 50 peak HP and 55TQ based on your measurements and brings the total measured 590HP and 650TQ
4. Dinan claims that S1 package (includes this tune, midpipes and exhaust) delivers 606HP and 625TQ
5. Dinan also claims that this S1 G30 produces more HP and TQ than F90 M5
What am I missing here... if your dyno is measuring consistently higher than factory, shouldn’t you wait to dyno f90 M5 before this kind of claim is made? Dinan focuses on 600+ numbers instead of simply claiming about 50HP and TQ above factory rating… I understand that you are a business but this kind of marketing…
F10 550 tune is $2600; G30 550 tune is $1700… Is this introductory pricing?
1/2 - Yes. Same Dynapack dyno. Was also measured on APR's Mustang Dyno when the car got back to Alabama and came back with the same numbers (within a 2% variance).
3/4/5 - See post #3 above but the S1 that was originally put out to press was measuring a bit higher in HP as it was a slightly different tune. We sent the M550i down to press while we were doing our relocation to Alabama. Rather then have the car just sit around idle for weeks on end we opted to get some test miles on it and get some publicity while we were down. When it came back we took a look at the logs and also some of the comments the reviewers had and revised the tune from peak numbers of 604/635 to 590/650. Everyone who drove it seemed to want more grunt down low then top end so we obliged in the final iteration of the tune.

Also a caveat for #4. Every single press article kept claiming the mid-pipe was on the car when it was not. The sheet that was given to the various press outlets noted that the midpipe is coming down the road and would be available but all assumed it was on the car when it was not. It is still in initial prototyping stages. Lesson learned for the next press run to not try and give them "coming soon" listings.

5a - We just picked up our F90 M5 back from the dealership after the break-in service so it will be going on the dyno for baseline next week (have some M550i / M5 comparables for wheel fitments and everything this week before the M550i dissappears on a MINI-press jaunt on Friday). BTW, Dinan never claimed it made more power then the F90 M5. That is media simply comparing tuned numbers to factory numbers (which will undoubtedly be underrated).

5b - Again, the press is focusing on the 600 numbers. In listing of the product we give about every major data point in crank and wheel numbers as well as the peak numbers so you can formulate as much of your own opinion as you want. Even in the banner above we focus on the gains and not the overall peak numbers.

5c - Not an introductory price. The F10 550i harness plugged directly into the DME where the G30 M550i harness is connecting to multiple sensors. The F10 550i harness is MUCH more expensive to make and as a result retailed for much more.
Appreciate 2
mqmh2319.50
Mr.blue218.50
      05-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #11
unlvjeffro
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
472 is a typo. Apparently was looking at the wrong line (max tuned HP). Will get that corrected in a bit.

The wheel peak numbers happen in between the 500 RPM data points. 475 HP happens at 5300 RPM. 562 TRQ occurs at 3200 RPM.
Understand and thanks. I may be grabbing this for my M550ix, but I will wait a bit until I get bored with the stock HP of this beast.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #12
mqmh23
X5 40e -> M550i -> Tesla MYP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvjeffro View Post
Understand and thanks. I may be grabbing this for my M550ix, but I will wait a bit until I get bored with the stock HP of this beast.
I am doing the same thing. Exploring the stock power of this M550i prior to bolting on the Dinan Stage 1. Even stock, it has much usable torque/power down low already, I can't imaging what 650 lb ft tq feels like.
      05-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I'm also considering the Dinan tune for my M550i.
Does the exhaust ad much to the power or is it mostly for sound? If I end up and prefer the sound of a competitive exhaust A/C Snitzer, etc), would that be a problem with the tune?

Not to get off topic, but how much stiffer is the suspension upgrade?
And would going non RFT PS4S offset that? I've got the Goodyear F1 RFT.

I don't want to lose the good ride of the stock M550i but want it a bit tighter on sporting drives and on track.
Appreciate 1
mqmh2319.50
      05-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Questions about the HP/TQ wheel vs crank.
The delta is > 20%, how do you come up with that where most say 15% difference.
Or do you measure rear wheels only and calculate the contribution from the front, given AWD?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I'm also considering the Dinan tune for my M550i.
Does the exhaust ad much to the power or is it mostly for sound? If I end up and prefer the sound of a competitive exhaust A/C Snitzer, etc), would that be a problem with the tune?

Not to get off topic, but how much stiffer is the suspension upgrade?
And would going non RFT PS4S offset that? I've got the Goodyear F1 RFT.

I don't want to lose the good ride of the stock M550i but want it a bit tighter on sporting drives and on track.
Exhaust is namely for sound. Contributed a bit of power at the extreme top end but nothing that will be meaningful in the grand scheme of things. We are talking about a 500+HP car to being with. Another exhaust as long as it is not removing the CAT's will work fine with the tune as well.

Suspensions are about 10-15% stiffer than stock. Feels a bit more then that just because of the lowering element involved as well but the spring rate itself is about 10-15% stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Questions about the HP/TQ wheel vs crank.
The delta is > 20%, how do you come up with that where most say 15% difference.
Or do you measure rear wheels only and calculate the contribution from the front, given AWD?
12-15% drivetrain loss is typical for RWD vehicles. On AWD vehicles it can be upwards of 25%. If I recall correctly it peaks at about 22% on most late model BMW's.

Those numbers are based on years of comparison testing really. In the early days we would rip out the engine and put it on our engine dyno and get numbers. Then put the engine back in the car and put it on the chassis dyno to see what kind of losses were involved. We haven't done that in a few years but you get the idea. Now with more sophisticated chassis dynos you can extrapolate even easier then in the past without ripping out an engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #17
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
12-15% drivetrain loss is typical for RWD vehicles. On AWD vehicles it can be upwards of 25%. If I recall correctly it peaks at about 22% on most late model BMW's.

Those numbers are based on years of comparison testing really. In the early days we would rip out the engine and put it on our engine dyno and get numbers. Then put the engine back in the car and put it on the chassis dyno to see what kind of losses were involved. We haven't done that in a few years but you get the idea. Now with more sophisticated chassis dynos you can extrapolate even easier then in the past without ripping out an engine.
Thanks! The stock crank #s just seem high. My M550i is definitely strong but seems a bit less top end power (above 5k) than my F10 M5 was. It was the non-comp too, so 560 rated HP....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #18
JHMartinMD
JonnyRoxxetShips
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 G30 M550i C.blk w DHP

Has anyone gone with the S1 on their car yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
BimmerRick89
PWRDBYM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i - 20' X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMartinMD View Post
Has anyone gone with the S1 on their car yet?
I bought 3 weeks ago; still waiting for delivery (apparently they are backordered).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

One thing I noticed in the reviews of the Dinan tuned M550i is that the reviewers kept quoting $14K as the S1 price and then saying that for an extra $14K you might as well get a M5.

They seem to have overlooked that the S1 is only $4.5K and the extra $10K was due to the wheels and carbon fiber trim pieces.

Just something you may want to make more obvious to reviewers when you drop off the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
Drtjxtz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
One thing I noticed in the reviews of the Dinan tuned M550i is that the reviewers kept quoting $14K as the S1 price and then saying that for an extra $14K you might as well get a M5.

They seem to have overlooked that the S1 is only $4.5K and the extra $10K was due to the wheels and carbon fiber trim pieces.

Just something you may want to make more obvious to reviewers when you drop off the car.
FYI
Dinan Stage1 is only $1800
https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...550i%20xDrive/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #22
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtjxtz View Post
Not stage 1, the S1 package.