BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BAVSOUND Stage 1 and Ghost Subwoofer.

08-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
ArmGrg
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 535xi, 2018 BMW 540xi

BAVSOUND Stage 1 and Ghost Subwoofer.

I just did full 12 speakers replacement at my brand new(couple weeks old) G30(540xi).
What I ca say? Exceptionally good!
Yes, sensitivity of Stage 1 speakers are a little lower, I would say about 3dB lower for Stage 1 speakers. Ghost speakers(subwoofers) definitely higher than stock.
Now, what good about Stage 1 speakers...
Sound quality, very leveled across spectrum, clarity and separation are extremely good! I think few main reasons for: "crossovers" are better than stock and tweeters are much better. Midranges are very good too, much better lower mid range response, but main difference are tweeters! Stage 1 is very good leveled, both mids and highs are pretty good leveled to each other. Because of better crossover tweeters work much better too.

Ghost subwoofers are also huge improvement over stock subs.

Installation was Ok, those video BAVSOUND provided are not the best, but helpful in general. Installation of Ghost subs went a little diff from video, I had to cut plastic grills, motor/magnet was very close to grills and would rattles. Also subs connectors are a little diff, so lock pin is not engage with connector fully inserted, use two drops of glue to secure them.

I would recomend to replace Stage 1 and subs at same time. Just Stage 1 is not enough, OEM subs are definitely one of weak points of OEM setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
ArmGrg
Rep

Yes, forgot to mention, before I didn't go much pass 50% of volume because of "I could''t take it"(quality, distortions and harshness), now easy can go to 100%.
Everything is clear, in fact you want to go higher, because of so good!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Congrats!!!
It is a great upgrade, I have sold a lot of sets and installed them in house too. Been getting good feedback on them.
The car on that BavSound video is mine.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
anthonycocca
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 540i/997.1 4sCab/W212 E550

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Congrats!!!
It is a great upgrade, I have sold a lot of sets and installed them in house too. Been getting good feedback on them.
The car on that BavSound video is mine.
just placed an order. The stock unit is abominable (being kind). I like the sound of my 2011 E550 HK system; my 911 4S's system is even better. (I see you have the same 997.1 C4s that I do. Love the crispy highs and deep base from that system - is BavSound close?) Those systems are what I'm going to compare this to. I'm pulling for you to be right! I'll let you know and thanks!!!!!!!!

Last edited by anthonycocca; 08-14-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonycocca View Post
just placed an order. The stock unit is abominable (being kind). I like the sound of my 2011 E550 HK system; my 911 4S's system is even better. (I see you have the same 997.1 C4s that I do. Love the crispy highs and deep base from that system - is BavSound close?) Those systems are what I'm going to compare this to. I'm pulling for you to be right! I'll let you know and thanks!!!!!!!!
I guess you purchased it directly from BavSound since I didn't see your order.

But, to answer your question, it is hard to compare it to my 997.1 C4S since I enjoy my catless with Gondo hack sound much more than the audio in the car.
While on my G30 540, I also have catless and MPE, but due to its turbo engine, I able to enjoy the music while cruising.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #6
ArmGrg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonycocca View Post
Stock unit(head and amplifier) have just enough power for "normal" sound level. It will not shake your car, it will not create very high sound level to "plug" your ears and etc. 205 watt(25x5 plus 40x2 or 250 watt(30x5 plus 50x2) I still didn't find which number is true) is just Ok(nothing more), if you custom to loud volume than you need more power. Quality of stock amplifier is not bad too, no distortions, S/N level is pretty low too. But honestly HK system with more power will be better, I'm kind of disregard now my decision not to get it(because of more peak power mostly)...

About speakers, you will definitely get crispy highs, those Bav tweeters setup(both speakers and crossovers) are much better than stock, basically totally other animal from totally other world. And it is combination of much better tweeters and crossovers together(so tweeters are not overloaded by low frequencies).
Mids speakers as I told before are better to, specially in low mid range which basically "not exist"(big drop right there) in stock, much more clear and separation/details too, but they are less sensitive than stock(not by much), that also for sure...
About subs, they are much better than stock too, but if you are looking to really low and really powerful bass it is not going to be with this setup. Bass require good volume boxes and much power... But those Bav subs are louder(sensitivity higher) than stock that for sure, so they are compensating some of missing in stock setup. Bass from Bav setup is much deeper than stock...

Good luck!

Last edited by ArmGrg; 08-16-2018 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:35 AM   #7
ArmGrg
Rep

In general Bav setup(both Stage 1 and Subs) brings sound system to pretty good level, it what should be "HiFi" option means... Stock speakers just can't give it...
HK option with Bav speakers will give more power and more flexibility and maybe better amplification quality(peak power at least, distortions and S/N probably too, but HiFi system already not bad in these)...

About stock amplifiers there are some ways to boost its power(ICs replacement, increase voltage to ICs along with gain, provide more stable voltage and etc), I maybe will try it, but I need another/used amplifier to play with... Because all that may easily lead to "total amplifier failure"...

Last edited by ArmGrg; 08-16-2018 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #8
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

on the HK system does anyone know the underseat subwoofer wiring colours?

Im trying to tap into them from the boot where the amp is.
Would avoid needing to unscrew from seats and sub.

installing a sub and amp in the boot. My car doesnt have folding seats.
Ive read on a few forums that most of the bass wont make its way into the cabin because.

installing sub thats 300-400W RMS. will this be sufficient to compensate sound insulation of my sealed boot?
Appreciate 0