BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Sunroof, not a popular option in Northern Europe?

08-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Sunroof, not a popular option in Northern Europe?

Last week I was traveling around Scandinavia and definitely BMW, Mercedes and Audi's are strongholds in their roads. One thing I did notice is that most new high end cars, including BMWs, have no sunroofs. I understand the year round climate may not be conducive to using them, but I found that quite interesting. Here in the US most people would not purchase a German car in the absence of a sunroof.

Sunroofs generally add weight in the worst area of the car, are leak problem when the car is old and generally is a cost added option in most world markets (Sunroofs are standard equipment in US market G30 5-Series sedans).

Question to our friends over the pond, are sunroofs available in your markets or people just don't care about having them at all.

In Helsinki, the only car I saw with a sunroof was an older Porsche 911.

Speaking of Porsche's, they are not a common sight in European streets and even in Germany just don't see that many of them to begin with.

Is the sunroof an accessory mostly aimed at North American clientele?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
BMWFamilyMan
Fnatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30

I (located in Sweden) have the sunroof and it is indeed an extra here (around 1200EUR standalone but is included in a package which makes it a bit cheaper). I would say sunroofs are becoming more common here, or specing more luxury in cars in general is and yes BMWs, Audis, MBs, Volvos and VWs are very very common here. That and Asian cars as second cars typically.

Regarding the usefulness of the sunroof. Just the added light in the cabin it gets you is worth it imo. This summer though, I couldn't have it open too much as it was just TOO HOT. During winter I can see myself opening it just to get some of that fresh air in, unless it's too cold or snowing of course

Porsches are pretty common here in the Stockholm area I would say. 10-15 years ago they were definately more rare.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
roadske
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series 2017

I decided against it - and that’s despite my 530d have most options. Mainly due to the fact that cars in Denmark are insanely expensive (175% tax on top or so), and the fact that I plan on keeping the car for 6-8 years. Adding a sunroof costs approx 4500$. I just did not value it that high, having had it in a previous car, and also did not want to end up risking problems with it, with me planning on keeping the car for a long time.

Also think the reason for few sunroofs in denmark is, that the majority of premium cars are leases or company vehicles, where standard packages does not include sunroofs.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I didn't specify one as I felt it to be quite expensive for what it is. As I never drive with windows down and use the A/C 100% of the time , it just wasn't worth it to me.
I do however like the idea of letting more light in and if cars came with it as standard I would be pleased .
Personally would spend that money on another option off the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

They are very rare in the UK on saloons (sedans). A bit more common on tourings & SUVs where they tend to be panoramic.

I am a sunroof addict, absolutely can't have a car without one and I open it at all times regardless of temperature unless it is raining, and then I have it open in the vented position. I actually like it more when its cold outside - to have the heater on but the sunroof open makes the car climate feel just perfect. I just cannot drive without having some air in the cabin but I do not like having windows down.

When buying used, it was always the one option that made 95% of suitable cars, unsuitable for me, as they would have no sunroof but every other option I wanted.

I bought my G30 new and it was the first option I selected, despite the £1000 cost - it was that important to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks all, I appreciate your responses.

Here in Florida the sunroof is enjoyable because it adds light to the cabin and makes it feel more airy. I specially appreciate the tinted glass which filters out much of the heat.

However in our 10 months of straight summer heat/humidity, don't get to open it up much. But at night makes for a nice drive for sure.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
They are very rare in the UK on saloons (sedans). A bit more common on tourings & SUVs where they tend to be panoramic.

I am a sunroof addict, absolutely can't have a car without one and I open it at all times regardless of temperature unless it is raining, and then I have it open in the vented position. I actually like it more when its cold outside - to have the heater on but the sunroof open makes the car climate feel just perfect. I just cannot drive without having some air in the cabin but I do not like having windows down.

When buying used, it was always the one option that made 95% of suitable cars, unsuitable for me, as they would have no sunroof but every other option I wanted.

I bought my G30 new and it was the first option I selected, despite the £1000 cost - it was that important to me.
Similar views to me, love the panoramic roof in the tourings. Besides the obvious use, wouldn't have an M-sport (black headliner, etc.), without the panoramic, lifts the ambience with some extra light in the cabin. Black headliners and trim can tend to be claustrophobic.

Historically (in the UK), more cars had a sunroof before we had Air Conditioning as standard. When AC became more of a standard feature, (or the sunroof vs. AC were the option), the popularity dropped in favour of AC. Even had folks say, "why do you want a sunroof, when you have AC? The sunroof seems to becoming more popular again.
Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      08-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadske View Post
I decided against it - and that's despite my 530d have most options. Mainly due to the fact that cars in Denmark are insanely expensive (175% tax on top or so), and the fact that I plan on keeping the car for 6-8 years. Adding a sunroof costs approx 4500$. I just did not value it that high, having had it in a previous car, and also did not want to end up risking problems with it, with me planning on keeping the car for a long time.

Also think the reason for few sunroofs in denmark is, that the majority of premium cars are leases or company vehicles, where standard packages does not include sunroofs.
When I first heard this last year on my first trip to Denmark I was amazed at the sheer cost of a new car there. I see a lot of nice, late model cars in the streets, so either the salaries are very high or people just pour their life savings into a new car? Maybe I need more perspective.

In other words I can't understand how anyone can afford a new car when taxed 175% if it's value. It's like buying 3 cars in one shot!

We only pay 7% sales tax here to buy a vehicle new or used. Cars are very cheap in the US when compared to what people have to pay and are taxed upon in the rest of the world.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Similar views to me, love the panoramic roof in the tourings. Besides the obvious use, wouldn't have an M-sport (black headliner, etc.), without the panoramic, lifts the ambience with some extra light in the cabin. Black headliners and trim can tend to be claustrophobic.

Historically (in the UK), more cars had a sunroof before we had Air Conditioning as standard. When AC became more of a standard feature, (or the sunroof vs. AC were the option), the popularity dropped in favour of AC. Even had folks say, "why do you want a sunroof, when you have AC? The sunroof seems to becoming more popular again.
That's a very good point, sunroof vs AC.

I would say until about 20-25 years ago, AC was still offered as an option in some new cars here in the US.

You can certainly order a sunroof delete BMW here, but it is very rare for buyers to opt out of the sunroof in this class of vehicle. I would say if you are looking for a M5 or M5 competition, sunroof delete becomes more of a choice to improve overall performance.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Speaking of panoramic sunroofs, interesting that BMW skipped it in favor of a larger single panel glass roof on the G30 sedan. Since we don't get the G31 estate in North America, buyers here simply don't have the option of a panoramic roof in the 5er.

Hyundai for example discontinued the Panoramic sunroof option in their Sonata sedan for the 2018 model year.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Here in South Africa all 5 series come with a sunroof as standard. It is the first car I have ordered that had it as standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Thanks all, I appreciate your responses.

Here in Florida the sunroof is enjoyable because it adds light to the cabin and makes it feel more airy. I specially appreciate the tinted glass which filters out much of the heat.

However in our 10 months of straight summer heat/humidity, don't get to open it up much. But at night makes for a nice drive for sure.
Here in Arizona I use it mostly to crack open while I am parked outside to let the hot air rise and escape.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #13
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

definitely been a resurgence in panoramic popularity. Plus latest few summers may be making people see this as a suitable option in the UK now. Also in winter lets in a to of light - that we are all too deprived of

My latest cars have always had panoramic roofs and I didn't really think about the benefit until |I sit in my wifes X1 (with no sunroof) and the realise what I am missing.

Past: 2013 BMW 320D GT, Luxury Line, Metallic Silver Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Adaptive Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:14 AM   #14
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
When I first heard this last year on my first trip to Denmark I was amazed at the sheer cost of a new car there. I see a lot of nice, late model cars in the streets, so either the salaries are very high or people just pour their life savings into a new car? Maybe I need more perspective.

In other words I can't understand how anyone can afford a new car when taxed 175% if it's value. It's like buying 3 cars in one shot!

We only pay 7% sales tax here to buy a vehicle new or used. Cars are very cheap in the US when compared to what people have to pay and are taxed upon in the rest of the world.
that tax level is usual in Europe (UK it is 20%). But salaries in North Europe are probably stronger than US. Plus dealers are willing to do good deals. Also the advent of PCP deals have meant more people can step into such a vehicle. I personally got my car with 21% off the price and on a 0% APR PCP deal. This does indeed open it up to probably a lot more drivers than in the US.

Past: 2013 BMW 320D GT, Luxury Line, Metallic Silver Blue, Panoramic Sunroof, Adaptive Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #15
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I wouldn't want it not need the sunroof but it came standard in most North American models.
      08-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #16
maigrait
Rep
Drives: BWM 540i

Pano roof was first option ticked. Had it first in the wifes 420 and really liked how light it made the cabin... msport with black headliner makes the cabin a bit dull - sunroof can lighten it greatly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #17
HansC.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

I have a Danish G30 530D with a 4500$ sunroof... thank you for reminding me roadske!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #18
roadske
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series 2017

Haha HansC. It really is something to cry about, when thinking about prices I other countries. Base price for a 530d is more than base price of an M5 in the US 😂😂😂😂. If you add extras it gets even worse.

And to you 530Driver - it is indeed a big investment to purchase a luxury car of that caliber in Denmark. Most lease, or buy used cars or purchase them as a company car.

Until the emergence of cheap micro cars like VW UP(cheap=15k USD&#129315, the danish car park was one of the oldest in Europe. That’s also why cars - especially premium- easily are kept 6 years or more. They keep their value quite well into 8+years or more, and to be honest, an 8 year old 5 series if taken care of is a fine car. We also typically drive less miles, as distances are smaller. I think the average is about 15.000 miles a year? I myself run around 10-12k miles a year driving to work on a daily basis.

Having a car is a luxury item in Denmark - maybe less so with micro cars - but many live without. Public transportation and bicycles are popular.

Why did I buy such an expensive car? Well - it was my dream car since I was a child when my dads engineering buddy had a BMW 5 series. - and I had the finances for it - so why wait until retirement as so many do? .
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #19
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Quote:
I decided against it - and that’s despite my 530d have most options. Mainly due to the fact that cars in Denmark are insanely expensive (175% tax on top or so), and the fact that I plan on keeping the car for 6-8 years. Adding a sunroof costs approx 4500$. I just did not value it that high, having had it in a previous car, and also did not want to end up risking problems with it, with me planning on keeping the car for a long time.

175 % tax:
May I ask the price of a 530i xdrive in Euros in Denmark?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post
Quote:

175 % tax:
May I ask the price of a 530i xdrive in Euros in Denmark?
I don't think the gasoline only 530i is sold in Denmark. I believe 530e plug in is available as well as 520D.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha HansC. It really is something to cry about, when thinking about prices I other countries. Base price for a 530d is more than base price of an M5 in the US . If you add extras it gets even worse.

And to you 530Driver - it is indeed a big investment to purchase a luxury car of that caliber in Denmark. Most lease, or buy used cars or purchase them as a company car.

Until the emergence of cheap micro cars like VW UP(cheap=15k USD), the danish car park was one of the oldest in Europe. That’s also why cars - especially premium- easily are kept 6 years or more. They keep their value quite well into 8+years or more, and to be honest, an 8 year old 5 series if taken care of is a fine car. We also typically drive less miles, as distances are smaller. I think the average is about 15.000 miles a year? I myself run around 10-12k miles a year driving to work on a daily basis.

Having a car is a luxury item in Denmark - maybe less so with micro cars - but many live without. Public transportation and bicycles are popular.

Why did I buy such an expensive car? Well - it was my dream car since I was a child when my dads engineering buddy had a BMW 5 series. - and I had the finances for it - so why wait until retirement as so many do? .
Nice one Roadske!! I hope you enjoy your G30 as much as I am enjoying mine.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #22
BMWFamilyMan
Fnatic
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30

In Sweden a 530i is around $50k and a 540i xDrive $60k. Standard equipment is market specific of course so not directy comparable across all. Ordering new you can probably get 15-20% off.

Fully loading a 540 adds another $45k
Appreciate 0