BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M Sport Package

01-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

M Sport Package

Question about the M Sport Package...

Is it aesthetics only or are there mechanical enhancements too (i.e., tighter suspension, tighter steering)?

Looking at the BMWs website, it looks like it's purely aesthetics, but not sure if that's true or not.

Thanks in advance.
      01-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Question about the M Sport Package...

Is it aesthetics only or are there mechanical enhancements too (i.e., tighter suspension, tighter steering)?

Looking at the BMWs website, it looks like it's purely aesthetics, but not sure if that's true or not.

Thanks in advance.
It varies from model to model, but it usually includes an M Sport steering wheel, aerodynamic bodywork, M style wheels, M Sport seats, and other individual options that open up after selecting this package (better suspension options, etc.). There is no difference in performance assuming you're comparing the same engine sizes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
It varies from model to model, but it usually includes an M Sport steering wheel, aerodynamic bodywork, M style wheels, M Sport seats, and other individual options that open up after selecting this package (better suspension options, etc.). There is no difference in performance assuming you're comparing the same engine sizes.
Thanks for your response.

I'm looking at the 540 and to be more specific, I want to know if I get tighter suspension with the M Sport Package.
      01-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your response.

I'm looking at the 540 and to be more specific, I want to know if I get tighter suspension with the M Sport Package.
They don't have a side by side comparison, but it's mostly all cosmetic items. Everything else is exactly the same with the exception of other individual options on the Build & Price tool that you can only choose along with the M Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They don't have a side by side comparison, but it's mostly all cosmetic items. Everything else is exactly the same with the exception of other individual options on the Build & Price tool that you can only choose along with the M Sport Package.
Thanks. That's what I thought and this is why I don't trust YouTube videos. I just watched one and the guy said you get tighter suspension and tighter steering with M Sport package. I didn't think that was right. That's why I asked on this forum.
      01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I thought and this is why I don't trust YouTube videos. I just watched one and the guy said you get tighter suspension and tighter steering with M Sport package. I didn't think that was right. That's why I asked on this forum.
You can't rely on the salespeople either. Next time you might be better off speaking to a BMW Genius at the dealership. They generally know the differences. I actually ordered another X6 after a cop totaled mine last month in pursuit of someone else (long story) and I was asking the same thing you are. I did a million build and price configurations and slowly put together what comes with what.

If you want to try that, I found it helpful to choose the same color (the color options aren't always the same) for a fair side by side comparison. Choose white and you'll be able to see the bodykit differences. You probably want it - it looks really good.

At the end of the day, I changed my mind and went with my 2019 M550ix. Great decision.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

The 540 M Sport Package isn't just cosmetic as it changes the suspension to M sport which I believe is the exact same suspension that is standard in the m550. Both can be upgraded to dynamic suspension $$ but then you lose the M suspension. The M sport brakes are a separate option on 540.

You have to decide what kinda car you want and why. As stated the price can be the same or more for a fully loaded 540 then m550. Just for the fun of it I configured a 540 with EVERY option to see the max price and it came to $95k.
      01-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
You get a different suspension that's generally lower and tighter. Same goes for steering. So the video is correct.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
You get a different suspension that's generally lower and tighter. Same goes for steering. So the video is correct.
Thank you.

That's good news. I was thinking the M steering wheel all by itself was worth the price of admission. Glad to hear the suspension and steering is in fact tighter.
      01-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #10
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think the different world markets offer slightly differences in options and benefits. I ordered a 540i ( no 550i in Australia . I also ordered the M kit and it gives me a few cosmetic changes and a lower suspension. The 540i in Australia comes standard with adaptive drive, ( I think in the adaptive mode uses GPS and other data to adjust suspension dynamics??) dynamic dampers, twin trapezoid tail pipes, M steering wheel and M brakes. ( which maybe the same as the standard brakes but painted blue with some M graphics)

You also get access to exclusive M colours, wheels and trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #11
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think the different world markets offer slightly differences in options and benefits. I ordered a 540i ( no 550i in Australia . I also ordered the M kit and it gives me a few cosmetic changes and a lower suspension. The 540i in Australia comes standard with adaptive drive, ( I think in the adaptive mode uses GPS and other data to adjust suspension dynamics??) dynamic dampers, twin trapezoid tail pipes, M steering wheel and M brakes. ( which maybe the same as the standard brakes but painted blue with some M graphics)

That is a very nice M package. In the US, the M package adds lots of cosmetic and comfort changes, like LED Fog lights and heated seats. But also adds improved suspension and steering along with exhaust. The other items like brakes, dampers, adaptive mode and others are additional options. The M sport brakes are a lot more then just painted calipers. You will find out when you have to pay to replace them 😃

We actually lose exterior color choices with the M Sport Package. Crazy
      01-20-2019, 03:29 AM   #12
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you aren't confusing the adaptive driving mode with Adaptive Drive suspension system? They are two different things.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #13
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Yea I specifically didn't want M package because I wouldn't have imperial blue anymore and given wife and kids will be there 99% of the time I want the ride to be more comfort oriented, so 18 in wheel on standard suspension.

Though I suppose I could have gotten M pack but go with dynamic handling package instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Yea I specifically didn't want M package because I wouldn't have imperial blue anymore and given wife and kids will be there 99% of the time I want the ride to be more comfort oriented, so 18 in wheel on standard suspension.

Though I suppose I could have gotten M pack but go with dynamic handling package instead.
That's the one thing I don't like about M Sport package. Can't get 18" wheels. I live in SE PA and potholes are a problem here. 19" wheels have a lower profile and are more likely to blow out and 20" wheels literally make no sense at all around here.
      01-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
bctz123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30

From my research I saw that if you plan to keep the car for a longer time, or view it as something you will take good care of and make it part of your collection, the m package will make the value to not go so low over time.

I saw some E30 without m packages (m tehnim called back then) that go with 8-9k, and the ones with m tehnik that can go for 20-25k.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

That's the one thing I don't like about M Sport package. Can't get 18" wheels. I live in SE PA and potholes are a problem here. 19" wheels have a lower profile and are more likely to blow out and 20" wheels literally make no sense at all around here.
I'm confident you won't have any trouble trying to find someone to swap them with. Just sayin'!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
silberma
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
I had a 2018 540 with the M sport package could not stand it and traded it for a 2019 for the following reasons:

1. The ride is stiffer but does not add to the handling. I went with the standard suspension
2. The seats are the standard sport seats that are not comfortable. Got the Multi Contour seat.
3. Did not want the 20" tire and wheels, ordered 19"
4. did not want the sport brakes (not part of the package). They are not necessary and create a lot of black dust
5. Did not want the summer performance tires. ordered All season with much better tread life and more hydroplane resistance.
6. The 2019 has as standard a thicker steering wheel

Everything else on the car is a gimmick to make it look sporty and not worth the $4,500.

This is my take, your needs may be different.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #18
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

I have a similar question--what is the difference between regular brakes with an M Sport package and the M Sport brake option that can be added? Other than blue calipers, that is. --Bob
      01-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #19
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
I have a similar question--what is the difference between regular brakes with an M Sport package and the M Sport brake option that can be added? Other than blue calipers, that is. --Bob
The M Sport Package doesn't change the regular 540 brakes. The Sport brakes are larger and a little softer so more braking power. Oh and they are blue like my car.

If you don't like blue you can get the M Performance brakes. They are red and even larger with slotted disc.
      01-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silberma View Post
I had a 2018 540 with the M sport package could not stand it and traded it for a 2019 for the following reasons:

1. The ride is stiffer but does not add to the handling. I went with the standard suspension
2. The seats are the standard sport seats that are not comfortable. Got the Multi Contour seat.
4. did not want the sport brakes (not part of the package). They are not necessary and create a lot of black dust
5. Did not want the summer performance tires. ordered All season with much better tread life and more hydroplane resistance.

Everything else on the car is a gimmick to make it look sporty and not worth the $4,500.

I can't comment on the 2018 540M but on the 2019 540M I would have disagree with you.
The suspension is a personal preference and I respect your. But the rest. You have the option of 18" wheels, you can chose all season, multi contour seats are a option no matter. The 18" wheels are not a option with the M Sport brakes because they will not fit but are available with Sport Package.

My 19 540ixM has 19" all season, multi contour seats, LED Fog lights and nice M sport heated steering wheel. The M package also includes comfort options which I would have chosen anyway. Honestly is anything worth the price, it's German $650 for ceramic knobs 😂
I don't think you can get 18" wheels with M Sport package. At least not when using the configurator on BMWUSA. Also, you can get the M Sport brakes with 18" wheels. I know because I have them on my M3. They're the exact same brakes I have and I have 18" wheels.

Plus, according to the configurator, you can order M Sport brakes without M Sport Package and with 18" wheels. I think you need 19" wheels for ceramic brakes, which are an $8,000 option for an M3. I went with stock brakes.
      01-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #21
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I can't comment on the 2018 540M but on the 2019 540M I would have disagree with you.
The suspension is a personal preference and I respect your. But the rest. You have the option of 18" wheels, you can chose all season, multi contour seats are a option no matter. The 18" wheels are not a option with the M Sport brakes because they will not fit but are available with Sport Package.

My 19 540ixM has 19" all season, multi contour seats, LED Fog lights and nice M sport heated steering wheel. The M package also includes comfort options which I would have chosen anyway. Honestly is anything worth the price, it's German $650 for ceramic knobs 😂
I don't think you can get 18" wheels with M Sport package. At least not when using the configurator on BMWUSA. Also, you can get the M Sport brakes with 18" wheels. I know because I have them on my M3. They're the exact same brakes I have and I have 18" wheels.

Plus, according to the configurator, you can order M Sport brakes without M Sport Package and with 18" wheels. I think you need 19" wheels for ceramic brakes, which are an $8,000 option for an M3. I went with stock brakes.
I found another build and price tool that provides all of the options and packages. I have found it to be fairly accurate, with the exception of mixing certain option packages slightly differs from the BMW USA website. For example, my M550ix came with wheels (759i 20") that weren't on the BMW configurator tool, but I was able to find them on this site:

https://www.autobytel.com/new-cars/bmw/
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      01-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #22
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your right