BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery The Age Old Question... to xDrive or not to xDrive

View Poll Results: xDrive or RWD
xDrive with Winter Tires 13 56.52%
Rear Wheel Drive with Winter Tires 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

02-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

The Age Old Question... to xDrive or not to xDrive

I'm planning out the last few options on my 530e order and I'm debating if I really need AWD. I've had my 330e which is rear wheel drive for 3 winters now. I swap winter tires on each fall and I've had no trouble so far. This winter though we've had a lot of snow and there was one day it was pretty deep and I almost got stuck, so that has me rethinking my commitment to RWD.

I wanted to gather the forums thoughts, If I'm going to buy winter tires (on their own set of wheels) is it really worth it to drop $2,300 on xDrive or should I get some other options instead?

Also, are allocations specific to drive type or is xDrive treated like any other option?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted8715 View Post
I'm planning out the last few options on my 530e order and I'm debating if I really need AWD. I've had my 330e which is rear wheel drive for 3 winters now. I swap winter tires on each fall and I've had no trouble so far. This winter though we've had a lot of snow and there was one day it was pretty deep and I almost got stuck, so that has me rethinking my commitment to RWD.

I wanted to gather the forums thoughts, If I'm going to buy winter tires (on their own set of wheels) is it really worth it to drop $2,300 on xDrive or should I get some other options instead?

Also, are allocations specific to drive type or is xDrive treated like any other option?
In my opinion, AWD is much safer. I wouldn't own another car that wasn't AWD. Very happy with my M550i xDrive. I was also very happy with my X6 xDrive before that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I'm not 100% on this but I believe allocations are on model and not xdrive or not. Guess

So I haven't had a opportunity to test the xdrive in the snow yet. I have all season instead of pure winter tires. But... I just traded in my Mercedes E class without 4Matic. It would have put me over budget and I wanted other options. Mistake as I regretted that every winter. You have to decide but it's hard to add afterwards 😂

You should look at BMW video on xdrive as it's just not used for winter. It helps with over and under steering on dry or wet roads.
      02-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I'm not 100% on this but I believe allocations are on model and not xdrive or not. Guess

So I haven't had a opportunity to test the xdrive in the snow yet. I have all season instead of pure winter tires. But... I just traded in my Mercedes E class without 4Matic. It would have put me over budget and I wanted other options. Mistake as I regretted that every winter. You have to decide but it's hard to add afterwards 😂

You should look at BMW video on xdrive as it's just not used for winter. It helps with over and under steering on dry or wet roads.
It's safer. Period. In a tense situation it could mean the difference between life or death. You can't put a price on safety or peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I would do winter tire+AWD, though I'm doing all season run flat+AWD right now...
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

AWD is great however you need make sure all wheels have roughly the same rolling diameter or you can kill your awd system. For example. If you have 4 really warn tyres and then get a flat and fit the brand new spare and leave it on for too long that wheel will rotate slightly slower than the other three and prematurely wear you AWD system out.

There is an Australian Engineer / YouTube blogger that discussed this some months ago.

https://autoexpert.com.au/videoblog/...tems?rq=Awd%20

Just something to be aware of
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Let me start by saying I live PA, but I always have the option of taking my wife's SUV if the weather is bad. Plus, I usually have the option of working from home on bad weather days too. So right off the bat, xDrive for me is rendered a nice to have.

I would like to have it, but it just didn't make the final cut.

Here are the options I ordered in no particular order in terms of priority:
  • M Sport Design
  • Executive Tier
  • 19" 664M with all-season run flats
  • Diving Assistance Plus Package
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • M Sport Brakes
  • Leather Dashboard
  • Harmon Kardon Surround System

Here are the options I wanted that didn't make the cut:
  • xDrive
  • Black Nappa Leather/Multi Contour Seats
  • Ceramic Controls

In the end, it came down to xDrive vs M Sport, which cost about the same, and I went with M Sport. Also, I tried to add Heated Steering wheel at the very end (cold weather had an influence on this), but it was too late. My car is in production already.

No doubt things would be different if I didn't have access to an AWD SUV or didn't have the option of working from home on bad weather days.
      02-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #8
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Not that our weather in that cold in the UK, but I have found AWD much better this winter, coming from a RWD F10... As a comparison my neighbour struggled to get up our road in his F10 530d the other day, whereas my AWD 540i went up no problem at all (neither of us has winter tyres).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Let me start by saying I live PA, but I always have the option of taking my wife's SUV if the weather is bad. Plus, I usually have the option of working from home on bad weather days too. So right off the bat, xDrive for me is rendered a nice to have.

I would like to have it, but it just didn't make the final cut.

Here are the options I ordered in no particular order in terms of priority:
  • M Sport Design
  • Executive Tier
  • 19" 664M with all-season run flats
  • Diving Assistance Plus Package
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • M Sport Brakes
  • Leather Dashboard
  • Harmon Kardon Surround System

Here are the options I wanted that didn't make the cut:
  • xDrive
  • Black Nappa Leather/Multi Contour Seats
  • Ceramic Controls

In the end, it came down to xDrive vs M Sport, which cost about the same, and I went with M Sport. Also, I tried to add Heated Steering wheel at the very end (cold weather had an influence on this), but it was too late. My car is in production already.

No doubt things would be different if I didn't have access to an AWD SUV or didn't have the option of working from home on bad weather days.
I live in Iowa and have a similar build planned. I can work from home if there’s really bad weather and our other car is a Volvo XC70 w/ AWD.

Planned:
530e
Bluestone or Mediterranean Blue
Ivory Dakota
Convenience or M-Sport
Premium Pkg
Executive Pkg
Driving Assistance Plus
Parking Assistance
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated steering wheel
Dynamic Damper Control
Harman Kardon

These are all the options I’m debating between, can only get 1 - 2:

xDrive
M-Sport
Luxury Seating Pkg + Nappa Leather
Night Vision
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I see a lot guys gets m sport? was it for the look or you guys really want the handling? I was more comfort oriented and the fact M suspension lowers the car (in piece of s'it road we got here) was an easy no for me...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I see a lot guys gets m sport? was it for the look or you guys really want the handling? I was more comfort oriented and the fact M suspension lowers the car (in piece of s'it road we got here) was an easy no for me...
My understanding is the addition of Dynamic Damper Control removes the M-Sport suspension so M-Sport line is really just standard 19” wheels, exterior cosmetic changes to front and rear bunpers etc., the thicker M-Sport Steering wheel and Fog lights.

I personally like the look, but I also like the Luxury Line with Mediterranean Blue Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Honestly, I was vacillating up until the last second between xDrive and M Sport. I have an M3 now, and going from that type of a car to a 540 is a pretty radical change. I just thought it would be an easier transition. I was (still am) concerned that I might not like the 540 compared to the M3.
      02-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I just drove home in the thickest fog I’ve ever seen and I think I can move M-Sport (to get fog lights) and maybe Night Vision to the must buy list! I was thankful to have my fog lights tonight. I also happen to meet a G30 on the road and those Icon LEDS were bright!
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I think it depends upon where you live and what kind of driving you do. In a southern climate with street driving, RWD is fine and what I would get (did get). But if one does snow driving or off road driving, etc., then IMHO xdrive is called for.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #15
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Age old answer = x-Drive!

Unless you live in a climate where there is no snow or rain.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My understanding is the addition of Dynamic Damper Control removes the M-Sport suspension so M-Sport line is really just standard 19" wheels, exterior cosmetic changes to front and rear bunpers etc., the thicker M-Sport Steering wheel and Fog lights.

I personally like the look, but I also like the Luxury Line with Mediterranean Blue Metallic.
The Dynamic Damper option does remove the M sport suspension. I like the looks of the M sport but if money is a constraint then of those options which do you use EVERY TIME, the seats. The NAPPA leather is very nice and multi contour seat a must, massager is really nice but not essential. Some say the massage makes the seat harder with less cushioning. Need to decide for yourself. XDrive is second on list with the others as nice to have. IMHO

1) Multi Contour seats
2) xDrive
3) I like my leather dash but would prefer Nappa leather unless there is a Dakota color you prefer.
      02-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #17
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

I am going to speak about my experience and points.

My first car is a used E90 323i RWD. I drove it for 2.5 years including 2 winters in southern Ontario Canada. I had winter tires. It definitely tend to have tail loose when i gave gas in snow. I had difficult time going up steep hill. It didn't start off the line that good either in the snow. But it is not un-drivable. With snow tires, it was okay for the winters here.

My second and current car is new f32 435i xdrive. I have winter tires too.(never go without it no matter how many drives u have, 2 wheel drives 4 wheel drives or 6, doesn't matter). I have it for 3.5 years now including 4 winters. It definitely starts off the line much faster and better than my old e90. I had no problem going uphill. But I can't really maintain any substantial amount of drift even in snow. Even with DSC off, the car transfer all the power to the front once the tail is loose. That is why u still need to step on the gas when u accidentally have your tail out in snow in a xdrive. It will transfer power to the front and bring the car back. If let go the gas, momentum and inertia will spin the car around 360 degrees. Trust me, I know because it happened to me so many times.

Therefore, if u are not that skilled or want to be as safe as possible. Go with xdrive, it is now bulletproof but much safer. If you want to have fun and have some skill, RWD is manageable. That is why I am going to switch back to RWD this year. Want the new G20 M340i (not xdrive).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #18
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Dynamic Damper option does remove the M sport suspension. I like the looks of the M sport but if money is a constraint then of those options which do you use EVERY TIME, the seats. The NAPPA leather is very nice and multi contour seat a must, massager is really nice but not essential. Some say the massage makes the seat harder with less cushioning. Need to decide for yourself. XDrive is second on list with the others as nice to have. IMHO
Thanks everyone for your input and perspective. I'm pretty sure I'll get xDrive this time.

In my limited time on a test drive with the massage seats, I didn't notice any discomfort, but I also was only in the car for 30 - 40 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #19
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input and perspective. I'm pretty sure I'll get xDrive this time.

In my limited time on a test drive with the massage seats, I didn't notice any discomfort, but I also was only in the car for 30 - 40 minutes.
Honestly I don't notice any discomfort with my luxury seats but others have said that. Like I said xDrive and Multi Contour seats are most important.
      02-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #20
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I don't notice any discomfort with my luxury seats but others have said that. Like I said xDrive and Multi Contour seats are most important.
Well, here is the final build then: BMW Build Code DU3RG4RP

Now, where do I find a killer discount...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #21
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, here is the final build then: BMW Build Code DU3RG4RP

Now, where do I find a killer discount...
That is a very nice build. It looks like you ended up getting everything. Only thing I would add is the $150 space saver spare. I know you have rft but so do I. Trust me cheap option for a lot.
Top speed will be limited to 130mph because of all season but with 530e that shouldn't be a issue. More of a issue with 540 or 550 models. Mine also has all season square arrangement. I can rotate the tires.
Space saver spare Option https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570226
      02-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #22
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a very nice build. It looks like you ended up getting everything. Only thing I would add is the $150 space saver spare. I know you have rft but so do I. Trust me cheap option for a lot.
Top speed will be limited to 130mph because of all season but with 530e that shouldn't be a issue. More of a issue with 540 or 550 models. Mine also has all season square arrangement. I can rotate the tires.
Space saver spare Option https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570226
If I can get a decent discount, I can keep the build as is. The spare is not available on the 530e. The battery is under the trunk floor and the trunk floor is raised (like it is with the spare).
Appreciate 0