BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery BMWs piling up at German port

11-08-2022, 08:37 AM   #1
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
BMWs piling up at German port

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/07/from...rman-port.html
Appreciate 1
DCDude70.00
      11-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
I knew this would show up here. Glad I'm not waiting on an ordered car.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M550i

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Yeah, this explains why they sent my car over to Zeebrugge instead. Was concerned the train ride was taking a long time (a week instead of couple of days), but I'm glad it got rerouted.

It's now on a boat in middle of the Atlantic making it into Baltimore early next week!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 07:18 PM   #4
DCDude
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 530e xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywall View Post
Yeah, this explains why they sent my car over to Zeebrugge instead. Was concerned the train ride was taking a long time (a week instead of couple of days), but I'm glad it got rerouted.

It's now on a boat in middle of the Atlantic making it into Baltimore early next week!
Good to know they're proactively rerouting. Wish my dealer kept me up on stuff like this, but that's why I rely on the crew here
Appreciate 2
Greywall433.50
G30 B581548.00
      11-10-2022, 06:29 AM   #5
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDude View Post
Good to know they're proactively rerouting. Wish my dealer kept me up on stuff like this, but that's why I rely on the crew here
My dealer dude sends me screenshots of the status page in their system. The rerouting showed up there. Prior to seeing that, I thought my car just took a long time to get to Bremerhaven. Once I saw the "Port of Exit" entry in the screenshot, it all made sense:

DCDude, I'd see if your dealer guy is open to sending you screenshots from their system. You might be able to get more hints from the contents.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
chadwick
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 540i

My order arrived at the port on Oct 31st and the status just changed today (Nov 23rd) to in transit, for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #7
Marlow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Q5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick View Post
My order arrived at the port on Oct 31st and the status just changed today (Nov 23rd) to in transit, for what it's worth.
Which port are you going into?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 07:36 PM   #8
DCDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick View Post
I'm envious. How long did your car sit at the port? How long was it in awaiting carrier assignment?

Mine has been awaiting carrier assignment since it was built on 9/28. I'm still at the factory in the ****ing parking lot. I've read about cars built after mine going to the same port mine is going to arriving at dealers already. Such BS. I'm probably going to lose the tax credit on the 530e b/c BMW d*cked around so long getting my car shipped.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
Carmody
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i

Quote:
I'm envious. How long did your car sit at the port? How long was it in awaiting carrier assignment?

Mine has been awaiting carrier assignment since it was built on 9/28. I'm still at the factory in the ****ing parking lot. I've read about cars built after mine going to the same port mine is going to arriving at dealers already. Such BS. I'm probably going to lose the tax credit on the 530e b/c BMW d*cked around so long getting my car shipped.
My situation is similar to DCDude's: the car was built around 10/19 and has been sitting at the factory since then "awaiting carrier assignment". I am not sure if this is related to port congestion -- I presume the car would be sitting at the port if this were the case. I suspect that some trivial part is missing and they are waiting for it to be delivered, but who knows...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 07:37 PM   #10
DCDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmody View Post
My situation is similar to DCDude's: the car was built around 10/19 and has been sitting at the factory since then "awaiting carrier assignment". I am not sure if this is related to port congestion -- I presume the car would be sitting at the port if this were the case. I suspect that some trivial part is missing and they are waiting for it to be delivered, but who knows...
I called a BMW Genius last week and she said if there were a trivial part missing, the car would be stuck in QA. If it's done and ready to ship, it's given a production date, otherwise no production date.

I pulled the schedules for the two primary shippers BMW uses and both of them have roll-on, roll-off boats scheduled between now and year end. I don't mind waiting, but I'm frankly pretty POed to know there were cars built after mine, destined for the same port mine that were delivered already and mine's still stuck at the factory.

At this point, it looks like I'm going to lose the tax break I'd hoped for with a 530e because it needs to be here by year-end and I'm getting doubtful that happens, based on the shipping schedules I've seen.
Appreciate 1
Carmody81.00
      11-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #11
Carmody
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M550i

Quote:
I called a BMW Genius last week and she said if there were a trivial part missing, the car would be stuck in QA. If it's done and ready to ship, it's given a production date, otherwise no production date.

I pulled the schedules for the two primary shippers BMW uses and both of them have roll-on, roll-off boats scheduled between now and year end. I don't mind waiting, but I'm frankly pretty POed to know there were cars built after mine, destined for the same port mine that were delivered already and mine's still stuck at the factory.

At this point, it looks like I'm going to lose the tax break I'd hoped for with a 530e because it needs to be here by year-end and I'm getting doubtful that happens, based on the shipping schedules I've seen.
Thanks, it is good to know that missing parts is not a problem here. I am very surprised, though, that BMW ships cars that were produced later before the ones that were produced earlier with the same destination ports. Sorry to hear about your possibly losing the tax break. I am not entitled to any tax breaks (with M550i), but am very annoyed at this delay nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #12
chadwick
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Which port are you going into?
Looks like Galveston. The car is on the Horizon Highway ship, scheduled to dock at the Galveston, TX VDC this Friday, December 9th.

Looks like I'll have an early Christmas present!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 11:01 AM   #13
DCDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmody View Post
Thanks, it is good to know that missing parts is not a problem here. I am very surprised, though, that BMW ships cars that were produced later before the ones that were produced earlier with the same destination ports. Sorry to hear about your possibly losing the tax break. I am not entitled to any tax breaks (with M550i), but am very annoyed at this delay nonetheless.
I came up with an "unconventional" approach to bypass the gatekeepers erected to funnel customers through their dealer or the Genius line.

I dug up VIN numbers of 530es with comparable features to mine on dealer lots in my area, looked up their plant ID (11th digit in VIN), and pulled their date of manufacture from an API. I took that data, threw it in a list and and sent a b*tch email to BMW Group Sunday night listing the VINs of unsold cars built after mine at local dealers, asking why they don't send sold cars first, and asking for it to be expedited. When I woke up Monday morning, I received a reply that BMW NA would contact me.

First thing Tuesday morning, I received a call from a nice lady at BMW NA and she said she spoke to the factory in Dingolfing and my car has been prioritized for shipment ASAP. It's still in awaiting carrier assignment, so we shall see. Nonetheless, I'm hopeful it will get moving soon.

I suspect something silly like the new guy ****ed up and put it in the wrong parking lot when it came off the assembly line.
Appreciate 3
Greywall433.50
Carmody81.00
acre22f90529.00
      12-13-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
I came up with an "unconventional" approach to bypass the gatekeepers erected to funnel customers through their dealer or the Genius line.

I dug up VIN numbers of 530es with comparable features to mine on dealer lots in my area, looked up their plant ID (11th digit in VIN), and pulled their date of manufacture from an API. I took that data, threw it in a list and and sent a b*tch email to BMW Group Sunday night listing the VINs of unsold cars built after mine at local dealers, asking why they don't send sold cars first, and asking for it to be expedited. When I woke up Monday morning, I received a reply that BMW NA would contact me.

First thing Tuesday morning, I received a call from a nice lady at BMW NA and she said she spoke to the factory in Dingolfing and my car has been prioritized for shipment ASAP. It's still in awaiting carrier assignment, so we shall see. Nonetheless, I'm hopeful it will get moving soon.

I suspect something silly like the new guy ****ed up and put it in the wrong parking lot when it came off the assembly line.
Holy crap that's pretty cool, love the VIN decode sleuthing! Definitely a good case of squeaky wheel getting the grease. Hopefully it goes quick from here.
Appreciate 1
DCDude70.00
      12-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #15
DCDude
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywall View Post
Holy crap that's pretty cool, love the VIN decode sleuthing! Definitely a good case of squeaky wheel getting the grease. Hopefully it goes quick from here.
I definitely rattled a cage or two like King Kong on meth. LOL.
Appreciate 1
acre22f90529.00
      12-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #16
chadwick
Private
Rep

delivery today,

so order on Sep 30th, production on Oct 24th, got to port of Galveston on Dec 9th.
Appreciate 1
BMW0121007.50