BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery M550i ordered

02-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
M550i ordered

Just placed an order for an M550i last week.

It entered production today. I was quite surprised, as it was supposed to start at the end of the month.

Thanks to all the forum members that have given insightful posts over the years!

The wait begins...

Specs:
  • Mediterranean Blue Metallic
  • Gray Poplar
  • Ivory White Nappa w/Contrast Stitching/Piping
  • Driving Assistance Plus Package
  • 20" BMW Individual V-Spoke wheels style 759i
  • Premium Package
  • Executive Package
  • Parking Assistance Package
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Front and Rear Heated Seats

Timeline:
  • 2019/02/09 - Order placed and confirmed
  • 2019/02/11 - Production begins
  • 2019/02/18 - Exterior body assembly
  • 2019/02/18 - In the Paint Booth
  • 2019/02/19 - Entering Assembly Hall
  • 2019/02/19 - Assembly in Progress
  • 2019/02/20 - Quality Check
  • 2019/02/26 - Finished Production
  • 2019/03/01 - Awaiting Carrier Assignment
  • 2019/03/07 - Dispatched from Factory
  • 2019/03/08 - At the Port
  • 2019/03/27 - In Transit
  • 2019/04/06 - Arrived at the Port in Baltimore
  • 2019/04/08 - Entered the VPC
  • 2019/04/13 - Arrived at dealership
  • 2019/04/16 - PDI and Delivery

Exterior pics
Interior pics

Last edited by bastula; 04-18-2019 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550i

I love my Med Blue/Ivory White Nappa color combination!
Enjoy - the wait is part of the journey but you will also like the car a lot.
Appreciate 1
bastula181.50
      02-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Congrats! you will love it
Appreciate 1
bastula181.50
      02-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Beautiful. I love your choices. I wanted white nappa but chickened out and went mocha nappa instead. I hope you got the leather dash as well. It really finishes the interior, especially if you have the nappa upholstery.
Appreciate 2
bastula181.50
clee1982796.00
      02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys. I wanted a few more packages but I had to limit it somewhere. I felt this was a good compromise for now.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
Thanks guys. I wanted a few more packages but I had to limit it somewhere. I felt this was a good compromise for now.
What other packages were you not able to get that you wanted?

I got everything offered except the display key (silly imo) and the 668M wheels (too many bent rims reported and I live in Colorado where roads are bad in winter).

But otherwise I can offer my honest opinion on anything else...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSinCO View Post
Quote:
What other packages were you not able to get that you wanted?

I got everything offered except the display key (silly imo) and the 668M wheels (too many bent rims reported and I live in Colorado where roads are bad in winter).

But otherwise I can offer my honest opinion on anything else...
DHP, leather dash, ceramic controls, 4 zone climate
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 1
reesch33.00
      02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #8
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep

DHP - I kind of like the DHP - certainly eliminates roll through the corners and seems to absorb bumps fairly decently. I've read a lot of debate of this option vs the "standard" sports tuned suspension offered on the M550i and if I were to do it all over again, I am not sure it is worth the money...I rode in an M550i without DHP and the difference was slight which is why I mention the cost differential. The DHP does have a smaller turn radius which is cool, but backing into a space is a little tricky because when the rear wheels steer you forget and wonder "Why am I not backing into this space straight?" :-)

Leather Dash - definitely a nice upgrade but has nothing to do with usability/drivability. The standard black is nice but regardless I recommend to use a sun visor unless you have home/work garage parking.

Ceramic Controls - to be honest, it's kind of a PITA. It's hard to keep them clean (mine have the black piano finish) because your finger oils show. But when clean they look and feel good.

4 zone climate - OK, I don't think my car was offered with this but I don't carry passengers in the back seat. I believe I do have rear seat warmers and the standard Hot/cold dial in the rear of the center console but not a proper zoned climate control system.

Just in my humble opinion, I do not think you are missing out without those options especially when it comes to usability for your new car.

The other options I have include the B&W sound (it is nice but not worth the premium over the HK especially at normal listening levels, and if you take the time to tune the HK (I had this in my last car) it can sound very nice. The fact that they speakers are lit with LED lighting is a cool factor though....

Also have the Night Vision - this is neat - I can see coyotes, rabbits, and occasionally people walking their dogs like the military and police choppers LOL. It's only warned me a few times so again strictly from a monetary perspective it's probably not worth it. But from a cool factor it's something that would have me thinking to order again...

Believe it or not one of the pleasant surprises I've grown to like a lot is the powered rear sun shade option that will come in your exec package...

But I think you got all the necessary options that help make the package of performance, technology and luxury dialed in. Those seats are amazing - it will take you some time to go through the myriad of adjustments possible! One neat thing - you can actually configure the side bolsters to squeeze you tighter when you engage in Sports Mode for example to do this automatically simply by pressing the Sports mode switch. Heating for the seats and steering wheel is excellent, but cooling is not overly perceptible...

Congrats again and happy for you.

Last edited by RLSinCO; 02-11-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 4
bastula181.50
niju32183.50
minn1913970.00
Mittalfdk113.50
      02-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DHP - I kind of like the DHP - certainly eliminates roll through the corners and seems to absorb bumps fairly decently. I've read a lot of debate of this option vs the "standard" sports tuned suspension offered on the M550i and if I were to do it all over again, I am not sure it is worth the money...I rode in an M550i without DHP and the difference was slight which is why I mention the cost differential. The DHP does have a smaller turn radius which is cool, but backing into a space is a little tricky because when the rear wheels steer you forget and wonder "Why am I not backing into this space straight?" :-)

Leather Dash - definitely a nice upgrade but has nothing to do with usability/drivability. The standard black is nice but regardless I recommend to use a sun visor unless you have home/work garage parking.

Ceramic Controls - to be honest, it's kind of a PITA. It's hard to keep them clean (mine have the black piano finish) because your finger oils show. But when clean they look and feel good.

4 zone climate - OK, I don't think my car was offered with this but I don't carry passengers in the back seat. I believe I do have rear seat warmers and the standard Hot/cold dial in the rear of the center console but not a proper zoned climate control system.

Just in my humble opinion, I do not think you are missing out without those options especially when it comes to usability for your new car.

The other options I have include the B&W sound (it is nice but not worth the premium over the HK especially at normal listening levels, and if you take the time to tune the HK (I had this in my last car) it can sound very nice. The fact that they speakers are lit with LED lighting is a cool factor though....

Also have the Night Vision - this is neat - I can see coyotes, rabbits, and occasionally people walking their dogs like the military and police choppers LOL. It's only warned me a few times so again strictly from a monetary perspective it's probably not worth it. But from a cool factor it's something that would have me thinking to order again...

Believe it or not one of the pleasant surprises I've grown to like a lot is the powered rear sun shade option...

But I think you got all the necessary options that help make the package of performance, technology and luxury dialed in. Those seats are amazing - it will take you some time to go through the myriad of adjustments possible! One neat thing - you can actually configure the side bolsters to squeeze you tighter when you engage in Sports Mode for example to do this automatically simply by pressing the Sports mode switch. Heating for the seats and steering wheel is excellent, but cooling is not overly perceptible...

Congrats again and happy for you.
Wow that is a great summary! Thank you for the detailed write up. Appreciate your insight.

I do agree with you that I think the car will be great with the options I got and the ones you mentioned aren't absolutely essential. It is good to know that I won't have to think about it too much and now just enjoy the car for what it is.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Wow that is a great summary! Thank you for the detailed write up. Appreciate your insight.

I do agree with you that I think the car will be great with the options I got and the ones you mentioned aren't absolutely essential. It is good to know that I won't have to think about it too much and now just enjoy the car for what it is.
I agree. Great writeup. I have pretty much everything except for the alcantara headliner, the B&W (I got the HK instead) and the ceramic controls. My view on nightvision is the same...very cool but probably not essential. As stated, the leather dash has absolutely nothing to do with driveability...just finishes off the interior.

I predict you will love your car. I think you selected a nice group of options.
Appreciate 1
bastula181.50
      02-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
DHP includes rear wheel steering?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Yes it does.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree. Great writeup. I have pretty much everything except for the alcantara headliner, the B&W (I got the HK instead) and the ceramic controls. My view on nightvision is the same...very cool but probably not essential. As stated, the leather dash has absolutely nothing to do with driveability...just finishes off the interior.

I predict you will love your car. I think you selected a nice group of options.
Thank you. It's nice to hear that feedback. I had a similar spec and color choice (including gray poplar) before in my previous E92 335i. 10 years makes a difference in all the technology that is available on these cars.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #14
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Regarding DHP, leather dash and ceramic controls, i have all 3.

I’m not overly impressed with the leather dash, but it doesn’t cost much compared to total car price, and it does add to the interior. The leather dash that comes with individual leather is much better, but this wasn’t for me as i didnt want ventilated seats you have to get with ind leather

I like the look and feel of ceramic controls. I have a nice cloth to clean, but i dont feel i need to do it often

I also like DHP. Reversing with active steering is weird until you get used to it. Appreciate the small turn radius. It is significant. Otherwise, i find the differences in suspension nebulous, as have many others. It’s not like you feel a big difference from a car without DHP, but i can say that the suspension seems to actively firm up as needed. I _think_ it is doing a lot, but it’s not like its super firm all the time. FYI, i exclusively drive in sport or sport plus
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #15
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymep View Post
Regarding DHP, leather dash and ceramic controls, i have all 3.

I’m not overly impressed with the leather dash, but it doesn’t cost much compared to total car price, and it does add to the interior. The leather dash that comes with individual leather is much better, but this wasn’t for me as i didnt want ventilated seats you have to get with ind leather

I like the look and feel of ceramic controls. I have a nice cloth to clean, but i dont feel i need to do it often

I also like DHP. Reversing with active steering is weird until you get used to it. Appreciate the small turn radius. It is significant. Otherwise, i find the differences in suspension nebulous, as have many others. It’s not like you feel a big difference from a car without DHP, but i can say that the suspension seems to actively firm up as needed. I _think_ it is doing a lot, but it’s not like its super firm all the time. FYI, i exclusively drive in sport or sport plus
Agree with your points. Between ceramic controls and leather dash, I think the leather dash would improve the look more, but it's something you don't touch often. The controls you interact with more. Toss up for me.

I'm curious if the standard M550i with DDC or Adaptive Drive*is the same suspension as DHP. I figured it was and DHP on this model just adds IAS + Active Roll Control. Something I would love to have ordered but had to skip.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #16
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep

Hey bastula,
Just as an update; this morning I was in the myriad of customization controls for the interior of the car....I came across a setting where I can set heat settings for the rear seats individually (left or right) to come on at certain temps....I know I don't have a "4 zone climate control" option (actually nor do I even see that offered even today on a MY19 build page) but I think you will have some control over the rear, maybe more than you think
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it does.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it does.
Guess it's a 550 thing or I just wasn't paying attention thought IAS was separate options in 540, didn't get either because couldn't test drive one with either...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guess it's a 550 thing or I just wasn't paying attention thought IAS was separate options in 540, didn't get either because couldn't test drive one with either...
Yep it's a separate option on the 540i. Included in DHP on the M550i.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #19
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey bastula,
Just as an update; this morning I was in the myriad of customization controls for the interior of the car....I came across a setting where I can set heat settings for the rear seats individually (left or right) to come on at certain temps....I know I don't have a "4 zone climate control" option (actually nor do I even see that offered even today on a MY19 build page) but I think you will have some control over the rear, maybe more than you think
Wow that's good to know! I wonder if that's specifically for the heated seats or for the vents. My guess is the former.

4 zone climate control isn't offered in the US market on anything but the M5. Some customers have been able to special order it when building their car.

I was supposed to get it, but it didn't get approved in time before status 150 hit.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #20
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Congrats! Great build and I'm sure you will love it.

I got basically everything on mine except B&W and night vision. Some of course don't really make a huge difference, but end of day I'm happy with the outcome. Agree on the rear steering throwing you off when backing up at times. Takes some getting used to.

I really like the ceramic controls. Much nicer feel and IMO worth the occasional wipe off. I keep an eyeglass cloth in my armrest and wipe off the controls and idrive screen every so often. Takes 20 seconds and I seem to have lots of long stoplights near my house.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Wow that's good to know! I wonder if that's specifically for the heated seats or for the vents. My guess is the former.
No vented seats in the rear.
      02-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #22
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
No vented seats in the rear.
Right. I meant the center stack vents for the rear seats.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0