BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Certified Pre-Owned BMW--Attention BMW CA's

03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
dsm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Certified Pre-Owned BMW--Attention BMW CA's

Ok guys I'm sure some others out there are in the same boat I am...People who can't afford the 135 with the options they want. I wanted a fully loaded model but with the price around $44k it's not going to happen. So I have briefly started looking at other options like certified pre-owned. I have few questions so I'll just list them. I'm currently looking at E46 M3's for a start.

1) The extended warranty(6 years/100k) only takes over after the 50k limited warranty expires correct? From my understanding the extended warranty does not include maintenance like the Limited/50k warranty for the most part.

2) Is it possible to still have the Limited/50k and/or extended warranty if the car is purchased from a non-BMW dealership?

3) Can you lease an older used car? I noticed there is special finance/lease rates going on now but for only 05 on up which excludes M3's.

Ok I think I covered the questions I have for now so hear is my story. I currently have a 98 civic which I have had since graduating college in 03. I'm sick and tired of it and want something new. I can easily go out tomorrow and get a loaded Accord coupe but I'm not so excited about the size and FWD. Since I could not afford a loaded 135 like I wanted so I thought I would turn to an E46. Yes older body style but still sweet to see in person. I was thinking about buying but I'm not so sure considering higher cost of maintenance after the limited warranty runs out. What about leasing right? So any thoughts/comments would be grateful.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
dsm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Well I can see this got me no where
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm9 View Post
Ok guys I'm sure some others out there are in the same boat I am...People who can't afford the 135 with the options they want. I wanted a fully loaded model but with the price around $44k it's not going to happen. So I have briefly started looking at other options like certified pre-owned. I have few questions so I'll just list them. I'm currently looking at E46 M3's for a start.

1) The extended warranty(6 years/100k) only takes over after the 50k limited warranty expires correct? From my understanding the extended warranty does not include maintenance like the Limited/50k warranty for the most part.
there are many differences in the coverage. You get the remaining new car warranty, and when that expires the CPO coverage kicks in. Check the CPO page on BMWUSA.com and it has a break down of coverage.
Quote:

2) Is it possible to still have the Limited/50k and/or extended warranty if the car is purchased from a non-BMW dealership?
no
Quote:

3) Can you lease an older used car? I noticed there is special finance/lease rates going on now but for only 05 on up which excludes M3's.
yes, but "generally" speaking, the leases do not work out as well. Sometimes they are actually more. Sometimes you catch one that is an amazing deal. It's hard to tell since the used car leases vary from car to car based on sale price and residual (which is based on a base value for that year and model, and adjusted for mileage and your lease term)
Quote:

Ok I think I covered the questions I have for now so hear is my story. I currently have a 98 civic which I have had since graduating college in 03. I'm sick and tired of it and want something new. I can easily go out tomorrow and get a loaded Accord coupe but I'm not so excited about the size and FWD. Since I could not afford a loaded 135 like I wanted so I thought I would turn to an E46. Yes older body style but still sweet to see in person. I was thinking about buying but I'm not so sure considering higher cost of maintenance after the limited warranty runs out. What about leasing right? So any thoughts/comments would be grateful.