BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Couple Coding/Software Questions

11-25-2022, 10:15 PM   #1
rmassena
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Couple Coding/Software Questions

Hello! I just have a few questions as I'm trying to get into coding my 2019 540xi.

1. My software under 'Imprint' is 3/19 and iDrive NBTevo_S. Is it possible to update iDrive software, and not trigger a software lock on the DME?

2. Is it possible to connect a laptop using a WiFi ENET adapter, or just through a cable?

3. What is the difference between using a client like BimmerCode and using E-sys to FDL code that way?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmassena View Post
Hello! I just have a few questions as I'm trying to get into coding my 2019 540xi.

1. My software under 'Imprint' is 3/19 and iDrive NBTevo_S. Is it possible to update iDrive software, and not trigger a software lock on the DME?

2. Is it possible to connect a laptop using a WiFi ENET adapter, or just through a cable?

3. What is the difference between using a client like BimmerCode and using E-sys to FDL code that way?
1. I believe that the answer is yes but you will need to find somebody willing to update all modules except the DME. I'm not sure if dealerships would be agreeable since it could put the system into an unsupported configuration.
2. Yes but you have to use a specific type of adapter that mimics a wired connection. Start here: https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/coll...1-toyota-supra
3. The short answer is that E-Sys has more capabilities but requires a launcher and is more difficult to learn and use in general. The CAFD mapping is also becoming outdated. Others like BimmerCode are more user-friendly but not generally as flexible, and their CAFD mapping status isn't always known. I suggest reading forum posts about E-Sys, BimmerCode, ProTool, and BimmerUtility to familiarize yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Last edited by WretchedRefuse; 11-27-2022 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0