BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Full Adaptive ICON LED lights decoded for the US?

01-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #67
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Can you share what you coded to get the rear fogs working (exactly)? I have the front/rear fogs-capable switch arriving next week.

If Almaretto already knows, then don't worry. When he gets back online, I'll be asking him to code my car. (no - I don't expect you to be able to read his mind, but I'm not sure if he has shared what he knows/doesn't know).
So unlike the F-Series where you could enable the rear fogs with a few codes, the only way I found to enable them on the G-Series is to modify your FA so that E-Sys will code the BDC_Body module as a ECE version. This will not have any negative effect on the other functions, but will change the light pattern on the taillights, thereby enabling the rear fog lights. You would most likely need to change a few FDL codes back to US settings, but it wasn’t too challenging.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:04 AM   #68
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
No, I didn't actually copy the changes, I just changed my VO to the ECE version of the car and coded the FLM, BDC, and Kafas to the ECE version (which is also how I got the rear fog lights working). Thus, why I think it might be hardware-related, but without actually seeing the coding or talking with someone who had it done the almaretto way, I can't say for sure.
Hmm...that settles the curiosity I had w.r.t coding ECE KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2 to ECE. If you coded KAFAS4, BDC_BODY2 and both FLMs to ECE spec, then I cannot see why the proper shadow boxing for NGHB wouldn't work. Doing the above basically mimics an ECE car. Either, 1.) physical HW is missing b/t ECE and US headlights to create the proper shadow boxing or 2.) there may be other modules that need to be coded?

I did find this YouTube video where someone coded HU_NBT2 along with KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2. Wonder if HU_NBT2 requires coding to ECE too?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #69
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Hmm...that settles the curiosity I had w.r.t coding ECE KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2 to ECE. If you coded KAFAS4, BDC_BODY2 and both FLMs to ECE spec, then I cannot see why the proper shadow boxing for NGHB wouldn't work. Doing the above basically mimics an ECE car. Either, 1.) physical HW is missing b/t ECE and US headlights to create the proper shadow boxing or 2.) there may be other modules that need to be coded?

I did find this YouTube video where someone coded HU_NBT2 along with KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2. Wonder if HU_NBT2 requires coding to ECE too?
I definitely recommend not doing that!!! When I did it with my X3, I ended up having to pay to get navigation and such working again because changing the headunit to ECE messed up my FSC files and caused several other issues. That and the ACSM are the two I did not code to ECE, but the rest of the car didn’t have any issues.

In that video, they are doing the removal of 5AP, but aren’t changing the country code. The change that makes in the headunit is that the owners manual and animated video will show the NGHB video/info, instead of the basic on/off functionality. Although, I notice they didn’t code the FLM modules...

I believe like you said that there is very likely a hardware difference. Almarettos coding with the changes he makes might overcome some of those differences that simple VO coding doesn’t correct, but without an actual comparison, there’s no way to know for sure. There’s always the option of getting a pair of used euro lights, which can be had for around $1800, but if I was going to spend that much, I’d wait for a pair of the euro M550i laserlights that we don’t get in the US
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #70
rmal
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 550i, G20 330xi, G30 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
PM Sent. Please do not make this a Request details thread. Feel free to PM me directly with questions.

List in Profile.

For remote coding, you would need
  • ENET Cable (Ebay or Amazon)
  • Computer with Windows 7-10 (Native or Bootcamp)
  • Wifi From vehicle
  • Provided E-sys
  • Teamviewer Remote software
Do you have links as to what to buy and from where?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #71
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmal View Post
Do you have links as to what to buy and from where?
You can find the software information on the forums, as long as you have a decent laptop that can run it you should be fine. As for the cable, you can find that for around $15-$20 on Amazon
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #72
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Btw, roxxor, did you every get proper shadow-boxing for GFHB/NGHB to work properly on your G30?

Right now my conclusion is either:
1.) Missing LED diodes (or other HW)
2.) Requires manual FDL coding of FLM, KAFAS or BDC
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 Coilovers | F90 Suspension | F90 Brakes | 20" HRE FF10 Liquid Black Wheels | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires | Ivory White Dakota Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System | JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 | Ceramic Controls | BM3 Stage 2+ E50 ECU Tune | xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | MST Cold Air Intake | FTP Chargepipe | AA Catted Downpipe | Remus Catback Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #73
roxxor
Major
Rep

No I have not. The removing of the decoding options works ok-ish, but definitely not the correct tunnels. I tried yesterday coding the FLM to euro-spec, and it actually made the glare on the high beams worse than using just the US coding.

I’m torn between 3 options at the moment:
1 - Pay for the proper coding and see how much of a difference that makes
2 - Order a set of used Euro Adaptive LED for around $1100 (price has come down recently) to get the right hardware
3 (and my ideal choice) - Order a set of Euro Laser Lights and retrofit those, but the killer here is the price tag of around $6k

From what I’ve heard though the US lights are most likely missing hardware unfortunately.

Last edited by roxxor; 05-18-2020 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #74
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No I have not. The removing of the decoding options works ok-ish, but definitely not the correct tunnels. I tried yesterday coding the FLM to euro-spec, and it actually made the glare on the high beams worse than using just the US coding.

I’m torn between 3 options at the moment:
1 - Pay for the proper coding and see how much of a difference that makes
2 - Order a set of used Euro Adaptive LED for around $1100 (price has come down recently) to get the right hardware
3 (and my ideal choice) - Order a set of Euro Laser Lights and retrofit those, but the killer here is the price tag of around $6k

From what I’ve heard though the US lights are most likely missing hardware unfortunately.
Haha, yeah I've been eyeing those Laser Lights. I might just wait for the LCI to drop...perhaps by then we'll get cheaper Pre-LCI headlights? Or can also update to LCI if I get bored of my Pre-LCI setup...unsure of the LCI though

So, you are saying removing 5AP from VO and then coding BDC, KAFAS and FLM WITHOUT ECE coding the FLM yielded GFHB/NGHB better functionality versus doing the above, but ECE coding the FLMs?

Hmm...I haven't tried that combination yet.

Also, do you know of any coders that guarantee GFHB/NGHB functionality? If they charge ~$100 to perform it, it might be worthwhile just to bury the hatchet on whether we are missing HW or not!
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 Coilovers | F90 Suspension | F90 Brakes | 20" HRE FF10 Liquid Black Wheels | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires | Ivory White Dakota Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System | JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 | Ceramic Controls | BM3 Stage 2+ E50 ECU Tune | xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | MST Cold Air Intake | FTP Chargepipe | AA Catted Downpipe | Remus Catback Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #75
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Haha, yeah I've been eyeing those Laser Lights. I might just wait for the LCI to drop...perhaps by then we'll get cheaper Pre-LCI headlights? Or can also update to LCI if I get bored of my Pre-LCI setup...unsure of the LCI though

So, you are saying removing 5AP from VO and then coding BDC, KAFAS and FLM WITHOUT ECE coding the FLM yielded GFHB/NGHB better functionality versus doing the above, but ECE coding the FLMs?

Hmm...I haven't tried that combination yet.

Also, do you know of any coders that guarantee GFHB/NGHB functionality? If they charge ~$100 to perform it, it might be worthwhile just to bury the hatchet on whether we are missing HW or not!
Yeah I had also thought about doing an LCI conversion once it comes out, but that would involve the bumper and a bunch of under-parts/ducts etc. It kills me that the G12, G05/G07, and G20 Laser Lights are all over auction sites for around the same price as the G30 ICON LEDs.

And oddly enough, I did a before and after comparison of all modules when removing 5AP and 8S4, and the FLMs did not change at all, meaning there were no coding changes related to the decoding in those modules. So in essence, all that needed to be done was to remove those 2 options and VO code the KAFAS and BDC. And yes, the function seemed to work better with US coding in the FLM modules. It gave more of the /\___/\ tunnel than with the ECE coding in the FLM, which I noticed caused a lot more glare on the back of the car in front of me. With the US coding, there was very minimal glare.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #76
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I had also thought about doing an LCI conversion once it comes out, but that would involve the bumper and a bunch of under-parts/ducts etc. It kills me that the G12, G05/G07, and G20 Laser Lights are all over auction sites for around the same price as the G30 ICON LEDs.

And oddly enough, I did a before and after comparison of all modules when removing 5AP and 8S4, and the FLMs did not change at all, meaning there were no coding changes related to the decoding in those modules. So in essence, all that needed to be done was to remove those 2 options and VO code the KAFAS and BDC. And yes, the function seemed to work better with US coding in the FLM modules. It gave more of the /\___/\ tunnel than with the ECE coding in the FLM, which I noticed caused a lot more glare on the back of the car in front of me. With the US coding, there was very minimal glare.
Interesting! I will definitely try it then... just remove 5AP/8S4 and VO code BDC and KAFAS while leaving both FLMs untouched.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #77
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

Quote:
Interesting! I will definitely try it then... just remove 5AP/8S4 and VO code BDC and KAFAS while leaving both FLMs untouched.
Hi, did it work? I just took delivery of my 2020 G30 M550i and I noticed that in addition to 5AP and 8S4 I have 8TR "DECODING_ADDITIONAL_FUNC" Does that need to be VO coded out as well? Up to now I was on my F10 and using E-SysX to do all of my own codes. Unfortunately the G30 is totally different even down to the naming of ECU's. I feel like a newb all over again
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #78
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
Hi, did it work? I just took delivery of my 2020 G30 M550i and I noticed that in addition to 5AP and 8S4 I have 8TR "DECODING_ADDITIONAL_FUNC" Does that need to be VO coded out as well? Up to now I was on my F10 and using E-SysX to do all of my own codes. Unfortunately the G30 is totally different even down to the naming of ECU's. I feel like a newb all over again
It works (kind of). Definitely better than ECE coding the FLMs as roxxor mentioned. Still not full ECE GFHB/NGHD tunneling due to missing hardware (LED SMDs and other chips) in US headlights.

VO coding is pretty easy using vanilla E-Sys 3.33.4. No need for FDL coding and Launcher Pro or Esysx.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #79
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It works (kind of). Definitely better than ECE coding the FLMs as roxxor mentioned. Still not full ECE GFHB/NGHD tunneling due to missing hardware (LED SMDs and other chips) in US headlights.

VO coding is pretty easy using vanilla E-Sys 3.33.4. No need for FDL coding and Launcher Pro or Esysx.
Great, I am going to try it. I normally "Write FA FP" the modified FA in VCM and then I read it back in Export Mode Coding "Vehicle Order" to make sure it took. Once verified I right click the VIN in "SVT" (left pane) and select "Code". This way I don't have to guess which ECU needed to be coded. Car battery is hooked up to a 15 amp automatic charger. This way I never code with the engine running and the DME ECU is always safe

BTW has anyone successfully coded Assisted Driving View on a G30? Mine does not have the instrument cluster mounted Camera or the MODE button on the steering wheel? Are those hard requirements?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #80
nickf1224
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Oh that's cool where did you get it done? Cost?
I code all my own cars and can do any Fxx-/Ixx-/Gxx-series BMW.
I need my headlights coded. Can you help . Assume I have no knowledge of coding at all
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #81
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf1224 View Post
I need my headlights coded. Can you help . Assume I have no knowledge of coding at all
I would try r33_RGSport. He was very responsive and helpful with this coding. Almaretto has not been heard from in quite a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #82
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
BTW has anyone successfully coded Assisted Driving View on a G30? Mine does not have the instrument cluster mounted Camera or the MODE button on the steering wheel? Are those hard requirements?
Unfortunately no. I tried all the coding I found for the G05/G20 to get it to work, the options showed up in the Settings, but the center of the cluster would just be blank whenever it was turned on. I think it has to do with those models having the updated BDC_Body and Kafas modules that we don't get, even though we have the newer headunit and instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #83
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
I tried to get some footage on my dash cam of how it is working on the US models, and while driving, I actually got flashed by an oncoming truck

The best part is my wife was riding with me, and despite her lack of interest in cars or knowing anything about what I was trying to explain, even she was commenting on the amount of light leaking on the bumper of the car in front of us lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #84
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately no. I tried all the coding I found for the G05/G20 to get it to work, the options showed up in the Settings, but the center of the cluster would just be blank whenever it was turned on. I think it has to do with those models having the updated BDC_Body and Kafas modules that we don't get, even though we have the newer headunit and instrument cluster.
Thanks for your reply. I don't want to hijack this thread but I did FWL comparisons this morning between 5AT and 5AU/5AR, basically Driving Assistant Plus versus Pro and there are very little change with the exception of the physical hardware, namely the driver attention camera, the steering mounted green LEDs and MODE button and those have nothing to do with ADV. I'll keep at it and report back.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #85
Heimdall
The Centurion
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Appreciate 0