BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Facebook - Stay or Go?

01-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #155
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooni View Post

Soooo true. It's very bad for mental health in general: creates a false sense of reality, insecurity, lack of self-worth.. I could go on. Not to mention it's engineered to be addicting and rewards the same dopamine centers as cocaine.

Hah! I've had pretty good luck selling via MP vs. craigslist. Although, the "is this still available" messages and never a follow-up are super irritating!
Yeah I think it's because "is this still available" is the default message for when you reply to an ad, and people replying to a bunch of ads at once don't bother to change it.
Appreciate 1
spooni480.50
      01-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #156
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yeah I think it's because "is this still available" is the default message for when you reply to an ad, and people replying to a bunch of ads at once don't bother to change it.
It is. But it's the fact they send it, you reply, and they ghost you
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #157
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooni View Post
It is. But it's the fact they send it, you reply, and they ghost you
My favorite is when they say "I have 'X low ball amount' in cash"

Well first of all that's too low, and I'm glad you have cash because I don't accept food stamps or any other sort of payment.
Appreciate 3
spooni480.50
vreihen1614886.50
      01-20-2021, 10:58 AM   #158
spooni
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
My favorite is when they say "I have 'X low ball amount' in cash"

Well first of all that's too low, and I'm glad you have cash because I don't accept food stamps or any other sort of payment.
LMAO. This x1000
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #159
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I personally never set up a Facebook account, I have no social media accounts other than Linkedin. I only belong to a few discussion boards like this one to share and learn from people who I have common interest.

When I first heard about FB back in the early 2000's and heard what most people were using it for - Looking up old BF and GF to find out what they were doing or if they can get back with them - I did not see value in it and realize fairly quickly it would be nothing but trouble. Then hearing about people just posting picture of what they ate last night and kids getting in trouble for doing kid things because someone post a picture of them I knew it was a problem with no redeeming value. The few people I have known for a long time I call them and talk to them verse telling them to follow me on FB. My head is not that big to think everything I do everyone wants to always know about.

I use to tell my kids to steer clear FB and similar, for the most part they did and I told them any time they are somewhere and people are doing things they probably should not be doing and cameras start come out get they hell out of there. Both my kids heeded that warning. As I told my kids I was no angel growing up, did my fair share of stupid things, but there is no proof it ever happen, no photos of what we did. It is my word against my friends failing memories and I have plausible deniability, so it never happen.

My sister-in-law who was rabbit FB user, had to make her account private when she realize some of her business clients may not like her life style choices. Even then one of her friends who did not have private account, took pictures of her doing things, posted them on FB and tagged her in the photos. Those photo's began showing up and she had to get the friend to pull down the photos before too many people saw them. These are the things people do not think about. There can be downline affects which can cost you.

As I said my kids do not have much of presents on Social media, when my son was interviewing for his first job during college a number of HR people commented on their inability to find him on social media and asked him why he did not have an account or if it was hidden/private. He gave them a simple answer which was the truth, he had no time for social media, during high school he played soccer for HS and club, was an Eagle Scout, ran his own cleaning business and worked on his Mustang. He was so busy he did not even date. He did get a good job, but not at those companies who questioned him about his lack of social media presents, that was 3/4 years ago.

For those of you who do not think Social Media is not a bad idea, you should rethink this idea. Yes HR departments are looking for anything and everything you have done on social media. There are third party companies who can find out everything you did and said online and weight it against various criteria. It use to be only the bad stuff they were worried about, now they are looking to see if you are actively doing good things. Think about the Instagram "Blackout" I had friends and family who got called out for not doing it. They will question why you do not have FB account, and you better have solid answer. It is starting to be seen as a bad thing not to have one of these accounts, keep in mind the people who work in HR departments and their general view of the world.

How do I know this, my wife works in the job recruiting industry and has work for the last 25 yrs and sees all the changes going on and knows what her clients are doing when they are looking for a candidate and what kind of things are using to qualify a candidate. It not enough to be good at your work, they do not want any person who may show up in a virtual video or on CNN.

Last edited by Maestro; 01-21-2021 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614886.50
      01-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #160
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I have a Facebook account with just my name and nothing else. I have not update or post anything on it. My real friends would know how to get a hold of me if they need to. I have no need in sharing what I ate or where I went. I do have a LINKEDIN account but haven't updated it since my last job.

I have seen a lot of people fired for commenting on Facebook. It's just not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #161
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Plenty echo chambers out there on all sides...

And in before thread lock for politics!!!
Doesnt mean we have to tolerate the toxic ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #162
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Doesnt mean we have to tolerate the toxic ones
Totally agree but there are toxic ones on all sides...
Appreciate 3
UncleWede17874.00
RickFLM410880.50
M5Rick58885.50
      01-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #163
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Still have my FB account, but it's been a couple years since logging into it. It's nice for staying in contact with family since we all live in various states, but even that's very minimal. Life is easily better without it, how people become so consumed is both strange and sad.
Appreciate 2
GenXer1351.00
M5Rick58885.50