BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New 540ix Msport (UK). In-depth review plus pics.

08-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #67
kenw
England
Rep
Drives: G30 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob500 View Post
I share Ken's thoughts about the VDC as I've also been a little disappointed in the ride in comfort mode and don't feel there is any very noticeable difference in the ride quality between the different modes. It may be slightly harsher in Sport but if it is then it is only slight and it may be that I'm expecting it to be and fooling myself! Before I bought the car I saw lots of comments from reviewers and others saying how amazing the ride was with 18inch wheels and VDC so I was expecting to be hardly able to feel road bumps at all in comfort mode but this has not been the case although I think it has improved gradually as the mileage has increased. Perhaps I need to wait longer as I'm only up to just under 2,000 miles so far. I tried asking my dealer about it but all they did was look in the car's diagnostics and said there were no errors. In case it helps I have a 530i SE with 18inch 684 alloys with Pirelli run flats.

Other than that though I'm delighted with the car! I also think the traffic jam assist is brilliant although I have not yet fully understood how it decides how long to wait after a stop before it will drive off by itself. Sometimes I have to press the accelerator or resume button after only a couple of seconds while other times it seems to re-start the engine and move off by itself even after more than 30 seconds. I'm still trying to fully understand it but I also think it can wait longer when both ACC and Lane Assist are on.
Hi Rob
This sounds exactly like my car. No consistency in the start stop area thats logical.

Your experience with BMW is the same. No faults showing so cant be anything wrong then!

So I say well what fault code would there be with a a faulty sub frame mounting and they say dont know.
I say how many fault codes are there for the suspension and is there one for this and they say dont know - hundreds of combinations probably!
So this is one of those difficult ones that needs a critical mass to get them to investigate in detail. As its subjective and each owner will have his/her own view on the ride comfort acceptability.
It is amazing how many statements of comfortable ride there are in the brochures, videos and even the training manuals, yet mine seeks out road imperfections with a jarring thud every time I go out.
How does one know if the shockers are working as they should?

Ken
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #68
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

It's strange to say you find G30's ride quality a bit discomforting even with 18" non run flat tires .I don't have Adaptive Ride Suspension or VDC but equipped with 18" run flat Goodyear tires , the car rides very smoothly and feels better when going over bumps ,road imperfections in comparison with W212 E Class with Avantgarde variant .
I have tyre pressures set at 35 all round too .
      08-15-2017, 01:43 AM   #69
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think the problem here is that we cannot quantify the ride, we cant measure it or give it a number as such so we will all describe it differently and we all probably have diferent expectatiojs of what we like based upon what we have had previously and what sort of ride we prefer.

so not sure where we go from here!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:17 AM   #70
Rob500
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
We know the G30 has only two base modes, compared to the F10/11. Ken is familiar with the three mode VDC, and like me know there are positive and discernible differences between the base modes.

I've no experience in the G30 with VDC, but would expect there to be a definite difference, due to only having the two modes. Even if not so wide a difference as the spread of the three F10 base modes, there still should be a noticeable change and feel to switching. I would expect it to be similar or even more noticeable than just changing one step (mode) in the F10/11.

I assume the cars are definitely configured to have the suspension/chassis changing on the modes toggle?
Well all I can say is that if there is a difference to the suspension feel between comfort and sport (or the other) modes then it is minimal. Perhaps it shows up more if you really drive the car hard which I have not yet done but on normal driving around town I can't really tell the difference. Configuration should not have any impact as I'm just using the standard sport mode and the comfort one does not have an individual setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:51 AM   #71
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I think the problem here is that we cannot quantify the ride, we cant measure it or give it a number as such so we will all describe it differently and we all probably have diferent expectations of what we like based upon what we have had previously and what sort of ride we prefer.

so not sure where we go from here!
I agree this is part of the problem, we all have individual 'ratings' of ride quality and all that is involved. Some of us are more sensitive than others to the variations in body motion. We don't all judge it the same. Evident by what some say is comfortable and acceptable, to others is an awful ride.

The only way to really judge the VDC performance would be with instrumentation, get some figures for the body frequencies in the different modes.

Even with the F10, some drivers couldn't feel the differences across the modes, couldn't see any advantage to ride comfort over the standard passive suspension. For someone like me the standard suspension had such a narrow working envelope for variation in road quality, before ride quality fell apart. VDC widened that working envelope by a big margin.

What I see in this thread, Ken has experience of the F11 VDC, which he appreciated. His example of the G30 (again with VDC) is not in the same league. Hence why questioning, is it working correctly?
Appreciate 1
Laki021366.50
      08-15-2017, 04:56 AM   #72
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

There is a difference, but it is very difficult to notice it on the good road.

But if you try it on the bumpy road (you need few bumps, one after another), you will easily notice that in the sport mode the car is a bit bouncy. This is especially true for the rear end, in the bends with bumpy asphalt the rear end tends to play/bounce a bit. In the sport mode you have a bit sharper response (even if you keep steering in comfort mode) but all this things are very difficult to notice in everyday drive on the good roads.

All that said, I'm very very happy with the suspension, I have 20" wheels and I find it very comfortable in both, comfort and sport settings. Initially I wanted to order 19' since I was worried about the ride quality, but I'm happy I changed my order and took 20', the ride is surprisingly smooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:57 AM   #73
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob500 View Post
Well all I can say is that if there is a difference to the suspension feel between comfort and sport (or the other) modes then it is minimal. Perhaps it shows up more if you really drive the car hard which I have not yet done but on normal driving around town I can't really tell the difference. Configuration should not have any impact as I'm just using the standard sport mode and the comfort one does not have an individual setting.
One of the best tests, IMO, is get onto roads you know well with varied road quality. As road quality deteriorates switching between modes should clearly show how different the base damping is.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 05:03 AM   #74
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
There is a difference, but it is very difficult to notice it on the good road.

But if you try it on the bumpy road (you need few bumps, one after another), you will easily notice that in the sport mode the car is a bit bouncy. This is especially true for the rear end, in the bends with bumpy asphalt the rear end tends to play/bounce a bit. In the sport mode you have a bit sharper response (even if you keep steering in comfort mode) but all this things are very difficult to notice in everyday drive on the good roads.
I agree. Hence my suggestion to test on varied road surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #75
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Hi AP were is the surround view button located please, thanks.
      10-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #76
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Nice review and congratulations on the car! Agree with you about the E39 530 - one of BMW's most balanced cars and with truly excellent steering.

Yes, M5s have come with the alcantara headliner. I love it in my E39 M5 and it is definitely worth checking that box if you are going for a luxury feel for the interior.
The Alcantara headliner is one of the very few options I have not selected on my 530e order. My view is that the interior is my living room and the exterior is everyone's living room. Therefore I selected mocha nappa upholstery and the power rear sunscreen. But I went into my 330e and looked up and realized that I never look up and didn't even know what type of headliner I had. I checked the alcantara out on a car in my dealer's showroom and it felt really nice but I figured that if I never even noticed what I had in 15 months of ownership of my 330e, then this was one option I could do without.

But, of course, everyone is different.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #77
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Hi AP were is the surround view button located please, thanks.
I think this will be next to the drive control button, next to the rear camera button.
I don't have it in my car so I just have the single large rear camera button.

One I like about Beemers, if there is a feature you haven't specified , there is no blank plate that you end up looking at thinking "I wish I had worked a bit harder so I could have a switch there instead of that blanking plate"!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #78
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I think this will be next to the drive control button, next to the rear camera button.
I don't have it in my car so I just have the single large rear camera button.

One I like about Beemers, if there is a feature you haven't specified , there is no blank plate that you end up looking at thinking "I wish I had worked a bit harder so I could have a switch there instead of that blanking plate"!
OK thanks.
      10-22-2017, 11:45 PM   #79
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Not AP, but I thought this pic would help you to find out how it looks like
AP is right , without panoramic view button that space is empty and looks dull
Not to mention the merits of the pano view
Attached Images

10-23-2017, 02:36 AM   #80
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Not AP, but I thought this pic would help you to find out how it looks like
AP is right , without panoramic view button that space is empty and looks dull
Not to mention the merits of the pano view
Great thanks for your help.
I need that view while negotiating the Rotherhithe tunnel entrances, they are tight.
      10-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #81
AP
Major General
Rep

With the car run in now, I've been starting to stretch it's legs.

Amazed how quick this this and I've not even put my foot right down and have only revved up to 5K so far but accelerating out of a roundabout, I was astounded how quickly the car moves especially once those revs start to build.I just had the car in comfort mode with the shift lever moved over to sport.

I'm no racing driver and appreciate that the car has more to offer but for road use, it's just so quick and effortess. I can feel the difference in the "low down torque" that my previous F10 530d offered whereby this car needs teh revs to achieve the same thing. So different in character but I really enjoyed it. I've not had to overtake anything yet but expect it to make mincemeat of doing that.
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      10-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #82
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

I have just past 1000 miles and I have started to push the engine a bit more now.

I don't know if it placebo......but I have really noticed the engine seems to be loosening up and giving better response through the rev range.

When I first received the car it felt a little non responsive in the mid range but it now feels more like the demo car 540i I tried.

Can't wait to add the MPPSK!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 06:12 AM   #83
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
I have just past 1000 miles and I have started to push the engine a bit more now.

I don't know if it placebo......but I have really noticed the engine seems to be loosening up and giving better response through the rev range.

When I first received the car it felt a little non responsive in the mid range but it now feels more like the demo car 540i I tried.

Can't wait to add the MPPSK!
Looking forward to your feed-back on it.
      10-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #84
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Brilliant thread and great comments here

I'm leaning towards a new 540 for probably next April/May and so I've been very eager to follow this

I'm dismayed that no 540d yet or M performance model for the UK market. Anyone heard anything ??

I would expect the range to be fully developed by next summer ?
      10-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #85
AP
Major General
Rep

nothing yet official or unofficial that I know off.
I think the first official place you might see anything will be here.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global
The techie stuff is on the right hand side, "facts and figures"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #86
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post

I'm leaning towards a new 540 for probably next April/May and so I've been very eager to follow this

I'm dismayed that no 540d yet or M performance model for the UK market. Anyone heard anything ??

I agree, I wish we had M550d in the UK. Looking under the bonnet on my 540i I can see it maybe a problem to squeeze in the 4 turbos with the steering column passing through that space. My dealer used to tell me that about F10/11 550d...with 3 turbos, not being available in right hand drive ....but I think I believe him now I looked.
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      10-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #87
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

Quote:
Quote:

I agree, I wish we had M550d in the UK. Looking under the bonnet on my 540i I can see it maybe a problem to squeeze in the 4 turbos with the steering column passing through that space. My dealer used to tell me that about F10/11 550d...with 3 turbos, not being available in right hand drive ....but I think I believe him now I looked.
Quote:
Quote:

Very volatile atmosphere against diesels and even petrols in the UK. The tories are a bit incoherent and so manufacturers are left pushing cars out with huge discounts - can't complain lol
Bmw Uk Has £4k deposit contributions towards 530d/540i and that's before dealer discounting

I think faced with that adversity, Bmw Uk perhaps thought well M550 market too small , I'm surprised the M50d made it thru (my current car)
Great contributions from you mate !
      10-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #88
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Very volatile atmosphere against diesels and even petrols in the UK. The tories are a bit incoherent and so manufacturers are left pushing cars out with huge discounts - can't complain lol
Bmw Uk Has £4k deposit contributions towards 530d/540i and that's before dealer discounting

I think faced with that adversity, Bmw Uk perhaps thought well M550 market too small , I'm surprised the M50d made it thru (my current car)
Great contributions from you mate !

Yes I have been looking at German forums and they are even buying BMW from the UK (left hand-drive) because they can buy them cheaper over here!!!

Bring on brexit......that'll teach em.
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00