BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Going from 2021 Lexus RX 350 F Sport to '22 540i…

12-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
G30Nashville
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i

I've had several Lexus vehicles the last 5-6 years, but I have always missed the BMWs I had when I was younger.

I previously owned a 2010 335i coupe that was a blast to drive when it wasn't in the shop…..moved on to a 2013 F30 328i that was great on MPG and pretty reliable compared to the 335i coupe. 4 doors helped as we had a car seat by this point.

Anyway, been through a couple IS 250 models, a NX, and two RX 350s. I still love Lexus, and our 2021 RX F sport might stay as it's a great SUV for the family.

My wife has a 2018 IS 300 and the lease is coming up so I spec'd out a 2022 540i as we've moved up and it's likely the car I will drive as she takes the RX and I commute in the 5er.

Going with Alpine white with M sport package. Went with Cognac interior, shadow line, sensetac dash, 20" wheels, premium package ( executive didn't make sense compared to premium), heated steering wheel, driver assistance - I think all in I was at like $69k. Added blue M sport brakes also.

Anyway, I've tested the B58 engine in person and love it. Of course I'd love a 550i, but in this market it's unlikely. I'm 33 and have some years left where hopefully I'm fortunate enough to own one eventually or a M5. The 540i makes the most sense for now with the MPG, and it's still plenty fast. Hoping I can take delivery by late February 2022. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I don't have the six pot but I attended this year's BMW Autocross and drove the M440i in that event and it was a hoot. Enjoy the new car!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Very nice build. Great contrast with the shadowline trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Congrats on the 5er! Beautiful car and color combo. You may have been able to get a used M550...nevertheless, you made a great choice and as you said, plenty of time for a 550 or M5 in a few yrs. I'll be 35 in a month and I have that same mentality. I have a 2018 M550 now, hoping to get a M5 at some point...or just keep getting M550s and supplement that with a 996 or 997 911 turbo ! We also have a RX F sport that my wife mostly drives but I do a bit as well, when hauling the family around.

BTW, I recently got on a couple Lexus group/forums...just because and to see about services/advice/etc. Lexus owners are some of the proudest people I've ever encountered and theres consistent BMW bashing that goes on there, it's crazy! At least once a week, there's a new thread about how BMWs suck and MBs too...German cars are the worst...unreliable....and so on. I've tried defending BMW a couple times, as have a couple others, and gotten attacked for doing so. Been debating leaving the group! Have any of you guys witnessed this wrath before?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep

I am not on the Lexus group, but am on one of the MB sites. There is always bashing the competition. One thing I did learn is that I have to stop using my turn signals when my new car arrives. Apparently that's a consistent problem with BMW drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by YETIinFL View Post
I am not on the Lexus group, but am on one of the MB sites. There is always bashing the competition. One thing I did learn is that I have to stop using my turn signals when my new car arrives. Apparently that's a consistent problem with BMW drivers.
Actually, that is one of my major gripes...that ALL drivers (with few exceptions) either don't use their turn signal or wait until they are already turning to do it. Drives me nuts. Absolutely not restricted to BMW drivers.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #7
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I get it but there's just genuine hatred on that group. SO angry. Never witnessed anything remotely close to it on any BMW groups/forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

Actually, that is one of my major gripes...that ALL drivers (with few exceptions) either don't use their turn signal or wait until they are already turning to do it. Drives me nuts. Absolutely not restricted to BMW drivers.
Agreed! I use my signals for every lane change or turn, no exceptions. I'm always yelling at my wife about this when I unfortunately need her to drive every now and again
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep

Ha, same here. Even when there's no one around, I still use them.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #9
Bay Kid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 550i BMW 2023 X5 50i

Love the power of the 550i. Yours will be plenty fast and beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #10
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxs1687 View Post
Congrats on the 5er! Beautiful car and color combo. You may have been able to get a used M550...nevertheless, you made a great choice and as you said, plenty of time for a 550 or M5 in a few yrs. I'll be 35 in a month and I have that same mentality. I have a 2018 M550 now, hoping to get a M5 at some point...or just keep getting M550s and supplement that with a 996 or 997 911 turbo ! We also have a RX F sport that my wife mostly drives but I do a bit as well, when hauling the family around.

BTW, I recently got on a couple Lexus group/forums...just because and to see about services/advice/etc. Lexus owners are some of the proudest people I've ever encountered and theres consistent BMW bashing that goes on there, it's crazy! At least once a week, there's a new thread about how BMWs suck and MBs too...German cars are the worst...unreliable....and so on. I've tried defending BMW a couple times, as have a couple others, and gotten attacked for doing so. Been debating leaving the group! Have any of you guys witnessed this wrath before?
I'm on one of the Lexus forums too. Since I no longer own a Lexus I just look in on the general auto discussion forum. To read the stuff they say about BMW's you'd think when you back one out of the garage things start falling off, they won't run and you're stranded in the driveway. It's generally a grumpy, argumentative, politically motivated group but fun to read.
      12-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #11
Bay Kid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 550i BMW 2023 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
I'm on one of the Lexus forums too. Since I no longer own a Lexus I just look in on the general auto discussion forum. To read the stuff they say about BMW's you'd think when you back one out of the garage things start falling off, they won't run and you're stranded in the driveway. It's generally a grumpy, argumentative, politically motivated group but fun to read.
They all hat BMWs until they drive one.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #12
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
I like a mix of sporty and classy type of car. That's why I went with the 540 m sport. I don't really see any sporty in the Lexus line up.
And I always signal
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #13
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Lexus and BMW are at the very top on luxury car sales… no need for bashing one another. Lexus's parent company toyota works with BMW to build the Supra, so that says a lot…and heck maybe BMW one day can learn from toyota for their reliability.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #14
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuwes710 View Post
Lexus and BMW are at the very top on luxury car sales… no need for bashing one another. Lexus's parent company toyota works with BMW to build the Supra, so that says a lot…and heck maybe BMW one day can learn from toyota for their reliability.
Quote:
100% agree. I have 2015 lexus rx, never been in shop. My 2017 540 has made up for that. Although BMW never left me stranded, the electronics fail constantly. Fantom seat warning, coolant leak, malfunction of lane assist and 3 times faulty flaps. That's what I can remember
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is the type of mild mannered discussion is what should be going on there. I appreciate how not one person so far has said anything negative about the Lexus brand.

Its mind boggling to think BMW's mostly performance based engines can survive only on filling gas and an occasional oil change and then complain about it's reliability. You can get away with that on a Lexus, sure. Toyota specifically down tunes to save the engine for reliability and potential neglect. I always say be good to your car and it'll be good to you (for the most part at least lol).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #16
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is the type of mild mannered discussion is what should be going on there. I appreciate how not one person so far has said anything negative about the Lexus brand.

Its mind boggling to think BMW's mostly performance based engines can survive only on filling gas and an occasional oil change and then complain about it's reliability. You can get away with that on a Lexus, sure. Toyota specifically down tunes to save the engine for reliability and potential neglect. I always say be good to your car and it'll be good to you (for the most part at least lol).
Quote:

When driving a rental car because bmw is in shop so much because of electrical problems, engine doesn't matter. My wife's lexus, 7 years old, oil changes, brakes and tires. She laughs at me everytime I park rental in our driveway

I own both cars, my opinion is not biased
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #17
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

When driving a rental car because bmw is in shop so much because of electrical problems, engine doesn't matter. My wife's lexus, 7 years old, oil changes, brakes and tires. She laughs at me everytime I park rental in our driveway

Just curious, what kind of issues are you having? I don't think I've had any issues where I needed a rental/loaner, except once and that was a fuel pump issue on my previous F10, covered by manufacturer warranty. My wife refuses to leave Lexus. They're great cars overall, although I've had a few random issues with our 2016 RX350 (panoramic sunroof collecting water and leaking onto the shifter, very slight oil leak, some weird rattling sound from the rear which is not very loud but bothers me everytime I'm in the car). I've been trying to convince her to go X5 M-sport for 4+ yrs now.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #18
akuwes710
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Steve, my wife takes picture of every bmw loaner ive had parked right next to her lexus. So far we have 6 or more pictures. LOL left side always a lexus IS, right side is 3,4,or 5 series in different colors
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #19
YETIinFL
Private First Class
Rep

I have nothing against Lexus, they make beautiful cars. Extremely reliable, but they are just too comfortable for me right now -- if that makes sense. Maybe in 20-30 years I'll need that level of comfort, but right now I'm still wanting performance over comfort.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #20
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Steve, my wife takes picture of every bmw loaner ive had parked right next to her lexus. So far we have 6 or more pictures. LOL left side always a lexus IS, right side is 3,4,or 5 series in different colors
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's funny. I recently tried to trade BMW in for a Lexus. They only offered me $28,000 for my bmw and added $5000 over msrp on rx 350. I laughed at the guy and left. I cant be wasting my time every 3-4 months dropping car off at bmw and then waiting a week to get my car back.
Appreciate 0