BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Oil Debate

06-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Oil Debate

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello, guys! How are you? Due to the fact that BMW Original Oil (the twin power turbo-5w30) comes at an astonishingly low price at car parts shops and online shops(like 7-12 bucks), I was wondering if somebody knows what is the difference between the oil you buy from a car parts shop and the one from the dealership(which is like 25 bucks and more). The difference is double and I can't stand thinking that the low priced one is either a fake product(though it has the same manufacturer, bottle etc) or the same one as from the dealership(and we are buying it at double the cost). Moreover, I want to say that many other great brands of oil like Motul, Liqui Moly and Ravenol come at a much higher price than the BMW original one per litre. Like 1l of original is 7-12 bucks and the other brands hover around 25-30$. Furthermore, I will attach a link in which you can see for yourself some data about many types of oil, the bmw original one coming on the last places at wear and resistance. Hope we will find some light in this "problem". Thank you in advance!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-pg/edit#gid=0

P.S.:the oil from the dealership I looked around the world and it has the same price 25$ or more, through BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I've not done oil tests on various brands... but i'd think difference will be marginal to none. Also, don't take anyone's word or buy into marketing hype unless they can share the evidence.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      06-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #3
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
I've not done oil tests on various brands... but i'd think difference will be marginal to none. Also, don't take anyone's word or buy into marketing hype unless they can share the evidence.
Hello! Yeah, i mean that the guy who made the tests is like "Project Farm"(from YT) and has pretty relevant tests. I wanted to say that maybe the original oil, if it has the same low price(7-12$) and it's completely original, has poor results in comparison with the other brands. The "lubricity" line from that chart translates to "wear". I will attach a link to the test.

link:

Also, on his channel you can find more tests about oils and some car parts.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0