BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications "Energy Flow" sceen on 2021 540i: battery never has more than 2 segments charged

09-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
ryanasimov
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

"Energy Flow" sceen on 2021 540i: battery never has more than 2 segments charged

If any one reading has the same model I'd be interested to know if you ever see more than 2 segments charged. While driving I see the display change from "Driven by engine", "Free-wheeling/Coasting", and "Charging battery". Only once have I seen both blue and orange arrows pointing from the front of the car indicating the mild-hybrid battery was assisting the engine.
The reason I'm asking is because every time I stop and the engine cuts off, the initial forward motion is ALWAYS accompanied by the engine restarting. I have read that the point of the 48V mild-hybrid system was to assist with moving forward to reduce how noticeable it is when the engine restarts. Well, I feel a very noticeable shudder as the engine restarts as soon as I release the brake.
Does the battery need to be charged to a certain point before it adds assistance? Is there anything I can do to get the battery to charge more? I'm not an aggressive driver; most of my driving is in Comfort, and I use Eco Pro on the highway.
Appreciate 0