BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Well that was quick

09-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #45
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
there is a detailed article on these forums under ordering and tracking, but in essence.
http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1315141

If you look at the last 7 digits of the VIN, out of those, the second one designates the factory it is being built in.
B designates Austria GRAZ and the others are Germany (Dingle whatever the name is I don't recall)
The tracking article the I recall will tell you whihc port the cars go to so keep and eye on the car every day to track where it is and then it's a case for looking for a ship departing there for southampton that ties in with the code saying is on its way. Thats what I did so pretty sure I had the right ship, certianly tied in with the times but I don't know for sure.
Attachment 1686712
all good fun though!
My car is 8200 - Released to carrier as of today, so I think I have just developed a short term interest in boat spotting!!
Congrats man. No more hassling Genius then
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 11:00 AM   #46
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Just checked with a BMW Genius and mine is now also at 8200 (released to carrier)...

Oh man, this waiting game is too much!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #47
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
Just checked with a BMW Genius and mine is now also at 8200 (released to carrier)...

Nearly there bud. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #48
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post

Mine has been stuck on 8200 since last week Tuesday. Just checked and still 8200! 9 days just sitting there, not even left the plant. Its infuriating. Delivery is now week 41 (it was week 40 right up until it went into 8200)

Is that even normal?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #49
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Either way, not much you can do about it.I guess it is simply in a queue to be taken to the docks and put on a ship.
frustrating. I know as it would probably be quicker to fly over and pick it up yourself.
All I can say is that it WILL be worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 01:14 AM   #50
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Either way, not much you can do about it.I guess it is simply in a queue to be taken to the docks and put on a ship.
frustrating. I know as it would probably be quicker to fly over and pick it up yourself.
All I can say is that it WILL be worth the wait.
I SO would have done this if it was a possibility!

I just keep telling myself to just relax and be patient...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 01:23 AM   #51
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

In other news, my F10 goes today! The F10 is not a perfect car, but it has been the best all round car I have ever owned and I will miss it.

Thankfully, the G30 is similar enough to keep me happy, and evolved enough to make it worth the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 02:52 AM   #52
AP
Major General
Rep

yes it IS worth the upgrade.

I will shortly be posting a follow on review once the car is run in. currently 1150 miles and no regrets whatsoever about upgrading from the f10
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #53
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
yes it IS worth the upgrade.

I will shortly be posting a follow on review once the car is run in. currently 1150 miles and no regrets whatsoever about upgrading from the f10
I look forward to it.

I can't wait to get a 1000 miles on it or so, I hate the running in period!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #54
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Car has finally arrived at the dealer today. Hopefully can collect tomorrow!!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
AP
Major General
Rep

good news!
Now try and get a good nights sleep! Its like being 5 again on the 24th of December!

Savour the moment you pick it up as it's great. If you have any questions, write them down in advance as it'll be so easy to forget them when you are there!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #56
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
good news!
Now try and get a good nights sleep! Its like being 5 again on the 24th of December!

Savour the moment you pick it up as it's great. If you have any questions, write them down in advance as it'll be so easy to forget them when you are there!
You've hit the nail on the head

Don't worry, I'll be saving any questions for you lot that have had the car for weeks/months already! The salesman's knowledge can't touch that!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #57
AP
Major General
Rep

They should set you up with your connected drive login , gives you access to some useful stuff plus remote services if you specced that.

Enjoy the day
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #58
AP
Major General
Rep

must have it by now?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 03:13 AM   #59
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
must have it by now?

Yep! Sorry - just didn't get a chance to post yesterday. What a day! 4 hour drive (including lovely M25 stop/start traffic), got home showed the wife and then we had to head out to get our train London almost right away! Got the first 200+ plus miles of break in done at least!

Extremely happy with the car, looks great inside & out and really comfortable for me even on a 4 hour drive which is a lot to ask for as I'm 6'7 and generally not comfortable in most cars due to driving position.

Took a few very quick and dirty (literally) pictures but haven't had a chance to clean it since it arrived.

The long drive was great though, with the traffic I had a good chance to play with the idrive etc and get everything set up how I want it.

The HK system when I first turned it on felt like they had forgot to install the underseat subs, but over the curse of the journey the woofers started to come alive as they began to break in and now it sounds great to my non-fussy ears, it goes loud and has decent bass which is pretty much all i'm after. I'm not an audiophile at all.

Even staying below the break-in max revs (4.5k) I can tell that the 40i is a very capable engine; in the right mode for the situation it is extremely versatile and almost chameleon like in its characteristics going from eco - sport plus and everything in between.

Its very early of course and the car is still pretty much new, but my initial thoughts are I'm extremely happy with the car. Wouldn't change any of my choices at this point. I did feel the cubby under the steering wheel and totally agree that it feels cheap compared to the F10 one, but I never used that anyway so won't worry about that too much .

My only real niggle at the moment is the steering feels 'different' on tight bends and roundabouts to the demonstrator I tried (which had the exact same suspension, wheels and tyres). My steering feels 'sticky' on those bends like the wheel is a little bit slow to self centre. I found myself 'manually' returning the wheel to centre, as if it lacks some of the resistance you feel when the wheel is normally turned that pulls the wheel back to centre. I wonder if its because everything is so new and tight - of the 200 or so miles only about 10 of those were not in a straight line on the motorway... It did start to improve towards the end. We will see.

Overall verdict =

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #60
AP
Major General
Rep

well worth the wait!
cant say ive noticed that about the steering other than being loght at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #61
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #62
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
well worth the wait!
cant say ive noticed that about the steering other than being loght at low speeds.
It doesn't feel broken, just different. Might just be me not used to it after 3 weeks in a c class rental, or maybe just very new parts need loosening up. Either way will see what's what after a few more miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #63
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
Looks great!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #64
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

Congrats -- she's beautiful....! I have a 6 hour road trip coming up for the holidays and hope to get my car in time to enjoy the drive. I think that's a great way to start the break in period. Enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #65
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
Congrats -- she's beautiful....! I have a 6 hour road trip coming up for the holidays and hope to get my car in time to enjoy the drive. I think that's a great way to start the break in period. Enjoy in good health.
cheers.

My wife was trying to arrange a mini break for the half term, I had say "woman, I just got a new car damnit, let me enjoy it in peace! Now get back to your ironing"*

* may not have used those exact words (as I'm still alive)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #66
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Yep! Sorry - just didn't get a chance to post yesterday. What a day! 4 hour drive (including lovely M25 stop/start traffic), got home showed the wife and then we had to head out to get our train London almost right away! Got the first 200+ plus miles of break in done at least!

Extremely happy with the car, looks great inside & out and really comfortable for me even on a 4 hour drive which is a lot to ask for as I'm 6'7 and generally not comfortable in most cars due to driving position.

Took a few very quick and dirty (literally) pictures but haven't had a chance to clean it since it arrived.

The long drive was great though, with the traffic I had a good chance to play with the idrive etc and get everything set up how I want it.

The HK system when I first turned it on felt like they had forgot to install the underseat subs, but over the curse of the journey the woofers started to come alive as they began to break in and now it sounds great to my non-fussy ears, it goes loud and has decent bass which is pretty much all i'm after. I'm not an audiophile at all.

Even staying below the break-in max revs (4.5k) I can tell that the 40i is a very capable engine; in the right mode for the situation it is extremely versatile and almost chameleon like in its characteristics going from eco - sport plus and everything in between.

Its very early of course and the car is still pretty much new, but my initial thoughts are I'm extremely happy with the car. Wouldn't change any of my choices at this point. I did feel the cubby under the steering wheel and totally agree that it feels cheap compared to the F10 one, but I never used that anyway so won't worry about that too much .

My only real niggle at the moment is the steering feels 'different' on tight bends and roundabouts to the demonstrator I tried (which had the exact same suspension, wheels and tyres). My steering feels 'sticky' on those bends like the wheel is a little bit slow to self centre. I found myself 'manually' returning the wheel to centre, as if it lacks some of the resistance you feel when the wheel is normally turned that pulls the wheel back to centre. I wonder if its because everything is so new and tight - of the 200 or so miles only about 10 of those were not in a straight line on the motorway... It did start to improve towards the end. We will see.

Overall verdict =

Car looks great enjoy