05-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #67
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
Exactly this for me too. I had a brand new GMT II...1 person noticed it in the 4 years I had it...same deal with my Omega Seamster Chrono. Most people just aren't into watches.

Funny thing...my boss wears an AP as one of a few high-end watches join his rotation. I noticed it and let him know it was nice. I guarantee no one ever mentioned it before....most of the very high end watches aren't on peoples radar...

BTW, the quality of the Rolex vs. Omega was night and day. Rolex fit and wore so much better than my Omega. You can tell the difference...Toyota to Lexus, IMO.
LOL. Do you think he didn't already know that? LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #68
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Buy a watch because it speaks to you, not for it's status. I have a Rolex Sea Dweller that I bought years ago, I was working as a commercial diver and actually took the watch in the water for what it's intended purpose was. I also have a vintage Speed Master Professional, I love the watch and it's history. I bought my wife an Omega Sea Master 44 mm with Orange strap, she loves it because it's chuncky and Orange, and I bought her a Rolex Yacht Master for a more subdued look. I'm not a watch snob, I like nice things that speak to me and I like stuff that isn't cookie cutter. I sold my 911 because you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one, I bought my Z4MC because I love the thing, and I love that it's unique.

If you want to buy a watch, buy one that speaks to you, not one that will speak to other people. If that's a G-Sport or Timex Ironman than so be it.
+1

It's very rare that a non-watch person spots an expensive watch (unless you are in your trunks with just your gold chain and watch )

The expensive watches I've bought swmbo have been based on looks/style/movement rather than brand.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #69
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
LOL. Do you think he didn't already know that? LOL

All the best.

LOL...yeah no doubt. The funny thing is no one ever mentions it I'm sure. He's got like 100k in watches...Just traded in McLaren, etc....he's got nice taste.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #70
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
LOL...yeah no doubt. The funny thing is no one ever mentions it I'm sure. He's got like 100k in watches...Just traded in McLaren, etc....he's got nice taste.
LOL. What's he got is money he's willing and able to spend on expensive trinkets. That and having good taste aren't the same things. Just check out some of the things people with lots of money paid Gaudi to design for them. LOL The buildings are interesting, but I don't think many folks would consider them as being in good taste. Indeed, they quite literally poke fun at the very notion of "good taste."

On the upside, "good taste" like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And at the end of the day, I'm good with leaving taste to taste buds.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #71
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I concur that any watch has to appeal in looks and then the movement of the watch. I was considering buying a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller but went with the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph with the 9300 movement. For many years I purchased Tag Heuer watches and one of my favorites I picked up several years ago was the Grand Carrera Calibre 36 with the el primero movement.

I believe the quality between Rolex and Omega is equal. The Rolex and Omega store at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa California are close together and I went back and forth looking at the Omega Planet Ocean and Rolex Deep Sea Dweller. In my eyes they are both good looking watches and the Planet Ocean won me over with its looks and expedition back. I am already looking at my next watch being the Omega Grey Side of the Moon.

Last edited by Egrunt; 05-16-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0