BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What made you choose to reside where you currently live?

09-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #89
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

Wife just had a girls weekend in SF. The went to a few open houses. Places about the size of my living room are selling for $1mil. Screw that. Too densely populated for my taste.
Well, the thing is that in S.F., one doesn't pay just for the space inside the dwelling; one pays for the space outside, aka "the view." In that sense, the prices aren't altogether unjustified...after all, every view is unique.

Actually, it's like that anyplace there are hills and other high places, relative to the surrounding area.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #90
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, the thing is that in S.F., one doesn't pay just for the space inside the dwelling; one pays for the space outside, aka "the view." In that sense, the prices aren't altogether unjustified...after all, every view is unique.

Actually, it's like that anyplace there are hills and other high places, relative to the surrounding area.

All the best.
She said one was in the Castro district (lower center of the image below) with no south, north or west view. Only a view to the east, out the front door, looking at the house across the street. She loved the place, except for the price tag.

Another one which was bout the size of our living room and kitchen was about $750k but she said the conditions of the neighborhood reminded her of neighborhoods with $30k houses around us. Broken down cars, garbage furniture out by the curb, everything dirty looking, etc... But the interior of this place was nicer than the more expensive place.

I think what it comes down to in SF is demand and population density. So many people in such a small place drives land owners to build small dwellings and charge the equivalent of multiple appendages for those little places.

From my last visit... that's some densely populated land.

I really liked being in San Francisco and love visiting. But to me, the enjoyment of being there doesn't out weigh the costs (not just monetary costs) of living there. But i'm on the other end of the extreme where as i have 2 acres on a lake, private pool, spa, and a 4.5 car attached garage. Those kind of real-estate amenities in SF or LA are VERY far out of reach for me, and some of them are impossible to have without spending multi millions.

I'd rather kick back in my little slice of earth at a fraction of the cost and have the money to visit those places and make judgments about them without ever living there.