BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Adviced on Buying a Boat

09-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #23
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

I've been ogling the Yamaha SX190 and SX210's for some time now. Never owned one but they're on my short list when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Be patient and look for a good deal. We love our boat it is just a little stingray ski boat good for cruising, tubing, and skiing. I would just remember that the more you spend on a boat the more you are going to feel like you need to go out on the lake.

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
We can skip past all the reasons not to buy one since (no pun) that ship has sailed. But I could use some advice on what to get.

This will be my first boat (although I have been around boats my entire life) and it will be used on a 10 mile lake near my vacation home in southern VT. I am looking for something in the 19-21 range that gives me the best option of a runabout to use with adults but still allows us to ski/tube/whatever. I am looking to buy something used since I don't want to take the depreciation hit and I am not entirely certain how much we will actually get to use it - we bought the house for skiing but have been going more and more in the "off season".

I have been looking at three boats: the Bryant 205W, the Sea Ray 205 Sport and the Regal 2000. I would love to be all in at 20-25K but am expecting to be more around 25-30K.

Any things I should know? Any of these three to stay away from? Any others I should be looking at? Is the 4.3 Mercruiser (220hp) going to be enough? The 240hp 5.0 seems harder to find used.

Any knowledge/advice/opinions welcome.
Do you have something specific that concerns you -- perhaps because it's what you've heard or observed with the other boats you've been around -- and that would not become clear when you take it out for a test and/or that you may not find discussed in places like this:
If you can share your specific concerns, you have a far better change of getting the sorts of input you seek. I'm a sailor not a power boater, but if you have specific questions to which the answers are applicable to both, I'll answer if I can.

You're preference for going with a pre-owned boat as your first foray is, IMO, the right way to go. I bought my boat (a sailboat; ~16 years ago) new, but I was incredibly naive about boats and boating at the time, and against my better judgment caved in to "advice" from my lady and went new so we could get features (mostly interior appointments) that fell into the "oh, but wouldn't it be nice if it...." category.

Blue/Off Topic:
The same turn of events happened with me and my beach house. Though my kids will differ greatly, especially now that they can go there without my supervision, I find it much more pleasurable during the off season. I'll go midweek a few times each summer and for at least one of the major summer holidays, but over the past lustrum I've left it to my kids for most warm weather weekends. They get lots of use out of it.

I really enjoyed it all year when the kids were young and we went there as a family and did family stuff with other close and longtime friends. Now that my kids are old enough to go and do their own thing, which is exactly what they began to do as soon as I began to allow them to do so, in the summers, I just find myself wondering things like "why have I traveled all the way here to put up with crowds, loud house parties (and the drunks who spill out of them) hosted by the young folks renting the house two blocks away, and traffic jams when I can have that just about anywhere else, and don't have that to deal with at either of my other places?" LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Do it!
I have an American made Bowrider (Chaparral 246, 300 hp) and I'm loving everything about it.
Nothing beats picknicking, swimming, relaxing etc with the family on the open water after a hard day's work.
I have a private jetty with access to a large body of water in my back yard though.
      09-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #27
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Brake Out Another Thousand, I'll sell you mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #28
Jashley73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6-M/T

I was raised on Lake Cumberland, where you'll see everything from a 16' Mark Twain, (my parent's first boat, affectionately named "White Trash" by my older sister, which they kept for a whopping 3 weeks before trading off...) to a million-dollar off-shore catamaran race boat...

If you can't be talked out of buying one, and would consider something outside of a dedicated ski/tow boat, then there's only 1 boat that I would recommend based on what you described.

A 23-foot Caravelle Interceptor, preferably with a big-block and a MerCruiser Bravo-1 outdrive. They are the Corvette/BMW M3 of boats, yet very well made, and very affordable, especially used. They are also fast too. My parents 3rd boat was a 96' with a 300hp big-block, and it would flirt with 70mph. And the big-block still had plenty of power to pull-up a slolam-skier with ease. (Which takes some serious acceleration to get them up quickly on 1 ski...)

And they still corner exceptionally well for a stern-drive boat. We were cruising around 35ish one day when an oblivious jet-skier cut in front of my mom. She jerked the wheel to miss the girl, and I swear it felt like a 90° banked turn from the back seat. No exaggerating, if I reached out my hand, I could have probably touched the water. And no kidding about this - if that boat didn't make that turn, the oblivious girl on the jet ski would have been dead.... Point being - they corner extremely well...

I would also steer away from the popular 350 Magnum/Alpha-1 drive combo, and go for the Bravo-1 out drive. Maybe the Alpha outdrives have been improved by now, but back then you were asking for trouble with a V8/Alpha drive comb. The Bravo outdrives are much better suited to handling bigger power - probably up to 500hp - more with hardened gears...

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #29
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Bust Out Another Thousand

As much as i love the water, and as much as i have wanted a boat,
I choose to hang out with Other Peoples Boats. Bring beer, buy bate, what ever it takes.......The best boat is the one you never have to trailer home or tie up on the dock.

The only time i would buy a boat, would be, sell my home and buy a boat and live in it on the dock....Gotta look in to that vs property tax and other bills a home has.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #30
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Thank you to those who shared their advice and wisdom. As to all of you who just couldn't resist the opportunity to throw out your cliches about not buying a boat, what can I say. I thought I addressed that. I have heard them all, am a big boy, know my financial position and am comfortable being foolish/wasteful/whatever with the chunk of money I have decided to throw away on this. Lost of people would have similar sentiments about "idiots" like us spending $100K plus on a car. I am glad I didn't listen to them either.

I have been looking quite a bit and have decided that a 19 is going to be too small. I need a boat rated for 10 people. We usually will be 6 or so, sometimes 8, but occasionally may have one or more and I will not put more on the boat than the rating.

My $25-30K range seems to be quickly leaking into the $30-35K range with sales tax, etc. I really like the Sea Ray Sundeck 200, but it is only an 8 person boat. Right now, I seem to be focussing at the Bryant 210W (a 2013 with about 250 on the clock) and at the 220 Sundeck (07-08 range; there are a number of low hour boats out there). Both have the pros and cons. The Sea Ray offers more storage, a bit more usable space, either 260 or 300 hp. The Bryants have a nice layout as well but no specifically good place for a cooler, it is a very small manufacturer but gets great reviews, etc. and is significantly newer (but more hours).

Well, that is where I am today. I might even get pressed into a 240 Sundeck, but I am not sure the added size is worth going older, worse weight/hp, etc. And I will be researching the names folks here have kindly provided - some I have already and simply don't offer the layout i am seeking within my budget.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #31
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

The posters with negative views have a good point. Boats can be a pain in the ass financially and otherwise. However, if you do your research and buy something you can afford, including maintenance, taxes, licenses, insurance, gas, storage, repairs, etc that ALSO meets you needs in terms of size, power, features, etc, then go for it.

We've had boats in our family for years. While a bit costly, the fun we have had has totally made up for it.

One of the key decisions you will need to make is carburetor vs fuel injection. There are advantages to both. My preference is EFI but there are a lot of people who think carbs are the way to go on a boat. My hate for carburetors may be the hours I used to spend rebuilding them in my early year.

Do your homework. Make sure you take into consideration all the costs of boat ownership. If you know the cost and can afford it, go for it.

BTW, don't expect friends and family to pitch in for gas, launch fees, etc. Sometimes they do, but many times they don't.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #32
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT get a boat with a carb, EFI or nothing
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #33
hercar
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi Msport MG w/CR

Quote:
Thank you to those who shared their advice and wisdom. As to all of you who just couldn't resist the opportunity to throw out your cliches about not buying a boat, what can I say. I thought I addressed that. I have heard them all, am a big boy, know my financial position and am comfortable being foolish/wasteful/whatever with the chunk of money I have decided to throw away on this. Lost of people would have similar sentiments about "idiots" like us spending $100K plus on a car. I am glad I didn't listen to them either.

I have been looking quite a bit and have decided that a 19 is going to be too small. I need a boat rated for 10 people. We usually will be 6 or so, sometimes 8, but occasionally may have one or more and I will not put more on the boat than the rating.

My $25-30K range seems to be quickly leaking into the $30-35K range with sales tax, etc. I really like the Sea Ray Sundeck 200, but it is only an 8 person boat. Right now, I seem to be focussing at the Bryant 210W (a 2013 with about 250 on the clock) and at the 220 Sundeck (07-08 range; there are a number of low hour boats out there). Both have the pros and cons. The Sea Ray offers more storage, a bit more usable space, either 260 or 300 hp. The Bryants have a nice layout as well but no specifically good place for a cooler, it is a very small manufacturer but gets great reviews, etc. and is significantly newer (but more hours).

Well, that is where I am today. I might even get pressed into a 240 Sundeck, but I am not sure the added size is worth going older, worse weight/hp, etc. And I will be researching the names folks here have kindly provided - some I have already and simply don't offer the layout i am seeking within my budget.
Sorry a little late in the post...I would stay with SeaRay...good solid company...good overall product...Spend the money on a pre-purchase survey by an independent before purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #34
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Little late as well. Been around boats and jet skis my whole life which is a very long time. Owned 4 boats and half dozen skis. First thing I 'm going to ask you is whether you want the boat truly for skiing/tubing or pleasure as there's a big difference in capacity and features between a true ski/wake boat and a pleasure boat like a bow rider. Second what are the water conditions on the lake you will use this one the most, big open water with winds or protected channels with minimal depth(10' or less) for dedicated skiing? That will define your hull and layout choices and most likely your drive system. Also big open water you'll want some motor behind you other places not so much and of course the fuel cost associated with navigating lots of open water. Personally Sea Ray's are nice in between boats, you can have some fun towing and riding and can just as easily putt around with friends and hang on beaches and coves. Not knowing your water 24' seems like you are starting to step up from your original choices, I've taken 24' runabouts out in open seas for 20+ miles no problems, just know your and the boats limits and the water you are navigating. I do agree with what someone said in EFI vs Carbs, carbureted motors are harder to dial in, harder to keep running right and require some hands on work but nothing beats the sound of a big block with carbs when you hammer it. Have you considered jet drives, they are less efficient but you can get almost anywhere with one and leave a nice rideable wake. Good thing is you can find lots of them with low hours used. Narrow down what you think you will using the boat for mostly and go from there on hull and layout. Also we hardly ever have 10 people in the boat but we go with a group of 3 couples who all have boats so there's no need, I currently have a 21' Yamaha, 2007 with 110 hours I got really cheap as the previous owner could not afford to keep it in the water. We go on off weekends etc. to avoid crowds and the rental people who pilot a boat once or twice and have no idea how to command a boat. Also know your local laws on alcohol and boating as many think it's party central, which is it is on a beach or cove but here in Cali they are very strict on enforcement which can ruin someones day. Have fun and safe boating oh and join one of the vessel assist services which covers your boat should it break and often your trailer too. I've towed too many people in who haven't got coverage and been broken and drifting or worse yet trying to pull their boat by a rope along a shoreline, they are really affordable services.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:47 AM   #35
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Wow, I did not know a Sea Ray was doable for 30k. My coworker got a used 470 last year, which is why I would have advised against.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Thank you to those who shared their advice and wisdom. As to all of you who just couldn't resist the opportunity to throw out your cliches about not buying a boat, what can I say. I thought I addressed that....

My $25-30K range seems to be quickly leaking into the $30-35K range with sales tax, etc. ...
Red:
You did. I am convinced that many people on forums simply ignore the actual content and only read post/thread titles and respond to that and nothing else.

Blue:
No surprise there. Everything about boating costs more than I expected it to going in.

As I wrote earlier, I probably haven't any specific insights to share re: the boats you are considering. Seeing the comment about your budget expansion, I will mention some of the things I presumed earlier that you've already looked into just in case you may not have, and that you may not be aware of the "nickel and dime" way they can and do add up to a tidy sum:
  • maintenance costs (both the hull and the motor) -- since you'll be buying a pre-owned boat, you'll want to make sure seemingly small things like a tiny nick in the laminate is addressed before you take delivery...as a rule, plan on costs that are at least 1/3rd more than the cost of doing the same thing on a car and plan on doing things regularly that almost need never be done with a car. For example, restoring the gel-coat on a fiberglass boat. (I presume you aren't considering a wooden hull boat.)
  • boat safety training and certification,
  • registration,
  • property tax,
  • insurance,
  • storage costs (dry or wet docking costs if storing it somewhere other than your driveway/backyard, but even there, check with your neighborhood to make sure you can winter your boat in your yard) and slip/mooring fees,
  • trailer (if you use one),
  • water use rights (if your jurisdiction assesses them),
  • fuel,
  • launch/ramp fees (if applicable),
  • gear and gear upgrades/replacements -- lines, batteries, flotation devices, fire extinguishers, flares, anchors, radios, etc.
  • extras -- no, not extras for the boat itself, although there are plenty of those to be had. LOL What I am thinking of is the boost in ancillary spending that comes with entertaining on a boat...the toys we like to have with us on boats such as fishing gear, booze, food, etc. along with the unplanned forays to various places that invariably turn into shopping trips. (LOL -- these are the bane of my existence when my lady is on board -- I can't tell you how many places we have no need or desire to visit and shop there until they come into view on the horizon while sailing.) Perhaps the culture of boating is different with folks who are doing watersports things with powerboats in freshwater? I don't know.
In short, the acronym that most folks who own small boats use, though offered as a bit of "rich guy's humor," is a reality one cannot take for granted: B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand. You've reviewed your financial position, so I'm sure you're prepared for that in a practical sense, but trust me, when the reality of it hits it's still a bit of a mental surprise even though one can afford it. After all, there aren't many things most folks do in their routine that run roughly $1K a clip. It's not a reason not to get into boating, but it takes some getting used to, at least it did for me.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #37
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

The new Yamaha 242 jet boats seem pretty decent. Anyone else have experience with Yamaha's latest models?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #38
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Don't I made mistake
two happiest days when you buy it and when you sell it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 02:50 PM   #39
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Don't I made mistake
I think we've covered all the lame ass jokes. At least find newer material.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #40
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
The new Yamaha 242 jet boats seem pretty decent. Anyone else have experience with Yamaha's latest models?
Yep driven a couple of them as in 2014 models. I like they dual engine setup in the newer ones, early ones had an odd shudder when pulling up to docks parallel to the water almost like one was fighting the other. But again if the OP is not in the market for jet drives I would eliminate them all together, they are not for big open water, inefficient in terms of top speed, power and gas consumption when compared to a standard I/O drive and marine engine. Their 24 foot config has so much space and storage it's unreal compared to my older 21'. Mine also is a single engine SC 1800 and I can get 45 mph all day anywhere with decent water. I do not put my boat in the ocean only my jet skis.

My personal opinion is favorable to Yamaha boats for my use(Colorado River, skiing, wake boarding and low water) that's why I sought one out. I am a died in the wool long time associated with Kawasaki guy, both skis and bikes, but they gave up after one try in the boat market or I would be piloting one of their's. I also personally would never buy a SkiDoo simply because of experiences both first hand and second hand over the years with their products and I know lot's of people who love them.
One other thing Tony mentioned is storage which is one reason I like my Yammy 21, small tandem axle trailer with a swing out tongue it
fits in a small size storage space at the facility I use and storage fess have gone thru the roof here in South OC in the last couple years. Figure that into cost unless you can leave it in the water which I personally would not do even if I had water front property to any boat I own.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #41
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
Don't I made mistake
You know I've owned 4 boats in the last 25 years and have not lost money when you factor costs and time. I buy used with low hours, am mechanically inclined and hunt out connections for parts etc.. You just need to be resourceful and understand that with ownership comes some work. I honestly can't say the same thing for the 4 BMW's I've owned in the same time frame, 2 have been money pits.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #42
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Yep driven a couple of them as in 2014 models. I like they dual engine setup in the newer ones, early ones had an odd shudder when pulling up to docks parallel to the water almost like one was fighting the other. But again if the OP is not in the market for jet drives I would eliminate them all together, they are not for big open water, inefficient in terms of top speed, power and gas consumption when compared to a standard I/O drive and marine engine. Their 24 foot config has so much space and storage it's unreal compared to my older 21'. Mine also is a single engine SC 1800 and I can get 45 mph all day anywhere with decent water. I do not put my boat in the ocean only my jet skis.

My personal opinion is favorable to Yamaha boats for my use(Colorado River, skiing, wake boarding and low water) that's why I sought one out. I am a died in the wool long time associated with Kawasaki guy, both skis and bikes, but they gave up after one try in the boat market or I would be piloting one of their's. I also personally would never buy a SkiDoo simply because of experiences both first hand and second hand over the years with their products and I know lot's of people who love them.
One other thing Tony mentioned is storage which is one reason I like my Yammy 21, small tandem axle trailer with a swing out tongue it
fits in a small size storage space at the facility I use and storage fess have gone thru the roof here in South OC in the last couple years. Figure that into cost unless you can leave it in the water which I personally would not do even if I had water front property to any boat I own.
Why wouldn't you recommend leaving it in the water? I'm moving into a water front property and would hate the hassle of storing the boat, towing, storing the trailer, and launching the boat. I just want to hop on and ride out.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #43
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Why wouldn't you recommend leaving it in the water? I'm moving into a water front property and would hate the hassle of storing the boat, towing, storing the trailer, and launching the boat. I just want to hop on and ride out.
The absolute beating a boat takes when moored in the water anywhere but a marina. For example I have several friends who live on the Colorado river. They all have docks with tie ups, one person used to leave their really nice deck boat in the water all the time. That boat had to have the hull refinished including re-laminated because of the beating it took in 2 years time. This was a 50K 28' deck boat. Install a power winch on your dock, pull it up out of the water. Now if you are talking a marina I say get an air slip and get that out of the water. Boat Fenders/bumpers do not alleviate the issue of long term in water storage. Only worsens with salt water storage.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:59 PM   #44
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

We have opposite experience

I personally can say I would never buy boat again.
Appreciate 0