BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Adviced on Buying a Boat

09-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #45
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

BOAT - break out another thousand.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #46
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
The absolute beating a boat takes when moored in the water anywhere but a marina. For example I have several friends who live on the Colorado river. They all have docks with tie ups, one person used to leave their really nice deck boat in the water all the time. That boat had to have the hull refinished including re-laminated because of the beating it took in 2 years time. This was a 50K 28' deck boat. Install a power winch on your dock, pull it up out of the water. Now if you are talking a marina I say get an air slip and get that out of the water. Boat Fenders/bumpers do not alleviate the issue of long term in water storage. Only worsens with salt water storage.
All true, not to mention the sun beating on the top side of the boat. You can easily go through a decent cover every two years, the cheap rv covers are shot a lot faster.

One lake I frequented had a muskrat problem in the marina, little bastards would chew up the rubber boots around the outdrive (below the water line).

At one time I had 2 boats, one stored inside and one stored outside, the one stored inside had no problems (and was a more complicated boat), the boat stored outdoors with a cover had constant problems ever year (critters, rain, sun etc)

In addition, I have personally seen boats 'on the ball' that flooded and sank, and some that have come loose and wound up smashed on the shore during a 'storm' (on Lake Tahoe, not the Ocean).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post

One lake I frequented had a muskrat problem in the marina, little bastards would chew up the rubber boots around the outdrive (below the water line).

In addition, I have personally seen boats 'on the ball' that flooded and sank, and some that have come loose and wound up smashed on the shore during a 'storm' (on Lake Tahoe, not the Ocean).
No shit below the water line! Yep here in Orange County the problem some people have in Newport Harbor with boats moored on the ball is the freaking sea lions/harbor seals. They'll get a dozen of them roosting on the back of a stored boat and sink the thing in no time. 3 weeks ago we saw one about 4 inches from going under we called the harbor patrol, 8 harbor seals all on the back of 20' rotting sailboat. Wish I had a dollar for every capsized or broken loose into rocks boat I've seen over the years. we pull our boat out every day when at the river even if there for 5 to 7 days straight. Hassle yep but beats the alternative over time.

Honestly though, if I had a house on water I would at least have a hydraulic winch to pull the boat up and out of the water and a good cover is a must and they need to be thought of as disposable every other year in extreme sun. I actually need to buy one new for one of the jet skis and they're $150+ for decent contoured ones and my skis are covered by a tarp on top of the covers. It's about 5 years old the bad one.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #48
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Red:
You did. I am convinced that many people on forums simply ignore the actual content and only read post/thread titles and respond to that and nothing else.

Blue:
No surprise there. Everything about boating costs more than I expected it to going in.

As I wrote earlier, I probably haven't any specific insights to share re: the boats you are considering. Seeing the comment about your budget expansion, I will mention some of the things I presumed earlier that you've already looked into just in case you may not have, and that you may not be aware of the "nickel and dime" way they can and do add up to a tidy sum:
  • maintenance costs (both the hull and the motor) -- since you'll be buying a pre-owned boat, you'll want to make sure seemingly small things like a tiny nick in the laminate is addressed before you take delivery...as a rule, plan on costs that are at least 1/3rd more than the cost of doing the same thing on a car and plan on doing things regularly that almost need never be done with a car. For example, restoring the gel-coat on a fiberglass boat. (I presume you aren't considering a wooden hull boat.)
  • boat safety training and certification,
  • registration,
  • property tax,
  • insurance,
  • storage costs (dry or wet docking costs if storing it somewhere other than your driveway/backyard, but even there, check with your neighborhood to make sure you can winter your boat in your yard) and slip/mooring fees,
  • trailer (if you use one),
  • water use rights (if your jurisdiction assesses them),
  • fuel,
  • launch/ramp fees (if applicable),
  • gear and gear upgrades/replacements -- lines, batteries, flotation devices, fire extinguishers, flares, anchors, radios, etc.
  • extras -- no, not extras for the boat itself, although there are plenty of those to be had. LOL What I am thinking of is the boost in ancillary spending that comes with entertaining on a boat...the toys we like to have with us on boats such as fishing gear, booze, food, etc. along with the unplanned forays to various places that invariably turn into shopping trips. (LOL -- these are the bane of my existence when my lady is on board -- I can't tell you how many places we have no need or desire to visit and shop there until they come into view on the horizon while sailing.) Perhaps the culture of boating is different with folks who are doing watersports things with powerboats in freshwater? I don't know.
In short, the acronym that most folks who own small boats use, though offered as a bit of "rich guy's humor," is a reality one cannot take for granted: B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand. You've reviewed your financial position, so I'm sure you're prepared for that in a practical sense, but trust me, when the reality of it hits it's still a bit of a mental surprise even though one can afford it. After all, there aren't many things most folks do in their routine that run roughly $1K a clip. It's not a reason not to get into boating, but it takes some getting used to, at least it did for me.

All the best.
Thanks. I have indeed factored all of these costs in. And I do realize the "ancillary spending" issues - after 12 years of hosting folks at my ski house, it is hard not to. What will kill me is my love of merchandise - so much fun extra stuff to buy for a boat. But I have that budgeted in as well.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #49
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
You know I've owned 4 boats in the last 25 years and have not lost money when you factor costs and time. I buy used with low hours, am mechanically inclined and hunt out connections for parts etc.. You just need to be resourceful and understand that with ownership comes some work. I honestly can't say the same thing for the 4 BMW's I've owned in the same time frame, 2 have been money pits.
I am definitely trying to be patient and wait until the right one comes across my sights. The bad news is that I am generally an instant gratification type of guy and pay more not to wait. The good news is that I cant use it until next season anyway!
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #50
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercar View Post
Sorry a little late in the post...I would stay with SeaRay...good solid company...good overall product...Spend the money on a pre-purchase survey by an independent before purchase.
Thanks. I am using the local "marina" as an agent (the only way to get storage spot there as they are full) and will have them do or arrange the inspection.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #51
hotcorner216
Rep
Drives: 2008 Mercedes C350

Got a 89 baja 216 with 350 chevy SB, got it new...has never left me anywhere and only done the outdrive water pump once and normal service. 500 original hours. Dont get a bayliner...most other brands are at least decent.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #52
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Thanks. I have indeed factored all of these costs in. And I do realize the "ancillary spending" issues - after 12 years of hosting folks at my ski house, it is hard not to. What will kill me is my love of merchandise - so much fun extra stuff to buy for a boat. But I have that budgeted in as well.
Very well. I'd say then that all you need is a "test drive." Go put some gunwales in the water and pick the one that feels right.

Welcome to the world of boating! Enjoy.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #53
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Thanks Tony. Going to see a '08 240 Sundeck tomorrow. They also just picked up a Azure AZ258, but I am having a hard time finding any good info on the Azures and worry about resale value. The reality is that I will likely either not use it enough and get rid of it or use it often and upgrade, in either case within 3-4 years. My version of toy ADD.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #54
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

I echo the jetboat comments, these are fun as hell and Chapparal now has a line of them...

http://www.chaparralboats.com/124/20...rtex-Jet-Boat/
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #55
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
Thanks Tony. Going to see a '08 240 Sundeck tomorrow. They also just picked up a Azure AZ258, but I am having a hard time finding any good info on the Azures and worry about resale value. The reality is that I will likely either not use it enough and get rid of it or use it often and upgrade, in either case within 3-4 years. My version of toy ADD.
YW

BTW, if you can do your "test drive(s)" on two days (or twice in one day), try to do one in "less than ideal" weather and another in lovely weather, it may help you decide. I'm not suggesting doing your sea trial in a "perfect storm" or anything, mind you.

I'm just thinking back to when I was shopping for my boat. There was a boat I was somewhat keen on, and then when having to experience getting the main sail through the hatch in a downpour, I knew there was no way I wanted that boat. My better judgment told me that having to perform that maneuver in heavy waters was just asking to have a man overboard. My boat has a keel too, and back when I was shopping, I hardly knew a thing about the minimum/average depths and channels and where I could and could not sail. Same sort of thing re: the mainmast and bridge heights/drawbridge equipped bodies of water.

On another boat, I found that the head vented partly into the inner cabin area rather than 100% to the outside (Pee-yew!) and that interior ventilation wasn't all that good overall. "I don't want this one. Do you have another boat you'd like to show me, Rob?"

Of course most of those specific things will not be an issue with the boats you're considering, but surely there must be some sorts of similar craft-specific things that you'll only find out by giving the girl a whirl in varying conditions. I know having a chance to experience the craft in rough-ish conditions -- weather happens on the water, and not always with much warning -- was a big boon to my decision making, and I've very glad to have found out about the airflow issue. Then again, with your lake-intent, perhaps the weather and such things aren't much of a big deal to you.

All the best.

P.S.
One other thing I learned from test sailing some boats was that I really had to buy a larger boat than I'd initially planned to get. I was a total novice boater back then and I thought I'd get something around 25-ish feet to start and upgrade later. Then I found out that in my home area, you really need at least a 27-28 foot boat to breach waves and have a comparatively non-seasickness inducing ride in mildly choppy water. Just one more thing I figured out from taking a test drive in varying conditions. I suspect for you how the boat feels at speed and how smoothly it hits/crosses/cuts waves will matter a lot to you. Some of them slam into waves and fall back onto the surface hard enough to literally give me a headache and make my back sore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 09-18-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0