E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Rock Chip on Windshield

03-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #23
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d
In the UK we have mobile car glazing companies which will come to us and repair/replace our glass as appropriate. In th UK, insurance will pay for repairs and waive the excess (you call it deductable?) if it can be repaired instead of replaced.

The process that they use involves cleaning the area, and injecting resin into the damage whilst using vacuum to remove the air trapped within. They then use a UV lamp to activate the setting of the resin.

The result is generally very good, but it helps if you protect the damaged area from dirt ingress and get it seen to asap to prevent it spreading.
That's exactly what I did this morning. The truck actually came to my office and fix the crack.
      04-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #24
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid
That's exactly what I did this morning. The truck actually came to my office and fix the crack.
hey drfluid, how much did it cost to get your windshield fixed?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #25
drfluid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 - 330i Navi, Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32e
hey drfluid, how much did it cost to get your windshield fixed?
it costed $55. They came to my work place and fixed it.
      04-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #26
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
If you are a DIY type, there are kits available at WalMart / Auto Parts stores for about $10 that give you the resin and a vacuum injector (basically a syringe with a suction cup) that I have used in the past (Houston has a lot of trucks on the freeways !). I did two fixes on my previous car's windshield that were actually better (less visible) than the one that I paid to have professionally repaired. And three + years later none of them have cracked or spread. Need to have about two hours of car immobile and out of direct sun, but it is really pretty simple.

All that being said, I bought Glass Replacement policy for the bimmer
      04-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #27
brian32e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Alpine White 330i ZSP

if my insurance covers this type of repair, will it make my premium go up if I have them pay for the fix? Apparently Geico will cover this free of charge but I don't want to save $55 when it will make my premium go up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #28
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

I'm frckin livid! I baby the car, but noticed a crack last week. I still drove with it, not knowing your'e not supposed to. In any case, it was pretty long already when I first noticed it, i haven't seen an increase in this week of driving.

I'm going to take a picture shortly and post it up here.

What is the BEST thing to do short of full replacement? I want it to be as perfect as possible, i'm anal about these things. I will spend up to $200 on this.

Also, if someone knows the answer to Brian32es's question above, i'm wondering the same thing.

[IMG]rockchip.jpg[/IMG]
repaired picture included
Attached Images

Last edited by tl_boy; 07-30-2006 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #29
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Florida has the same "no owner expense" replacement for any glass chips or breaks. I had almost the exact same rock crack in the opposite corner and my insurance coordinated all that was needed for an OEM windshield replacement at my house. Took about and hour and simply couldn't drive it for about 3 hours while the adhesive cured. If you haven't already done so I'd recommend you talk to your insurance provider and explore your options. I also agree with others that you should take care of it ASAP as it might get much worse. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #30
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfluid
it costed $55. They came to my work place and fixed it.
Don't they also provide you with warranty?

When I paid them $60 to fix the crack(they came to my place also with a truck, used UV light, resin and all that crap), they gave me a warranty paper saying if it cracks again, they'll replace the whole thing for free.

unfortunately(for them), my window is showing the crack again.
I'll probably get mine replaced. for free I hope.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2006, 07:37 PM   #31
tl_boy
Major
Rep

I just contacted Geico. They will fix it for free, no deductible, not replace, but fix. They suggested I use Safelite, a nationwide glass company, however I can use anyone else I want to.

Could someone who is more knowledeable about this subject, please take a look at this: http://www.safelite.com/repair_pop.jsp, and tell me if they think that is the best repair procedure available?

I would appreciate it. My 2 objectives in this are: 1, to conceal or eliminate the cosmetic damage, 2, to prevent the crack from spreading.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #32
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

On the 650-mile drive back from the Performance Center I got a few small nicks. One in the windshield that can't be seen unless you're looking for it or are 2 feet away. Another on the hood towards the front of the car -- not a dent but took off a smig of paint. And finally, one of the right side (driver's mirror) -- very similar to the one on the hood.

Might stop by a glass shop something for the small nick in the windshield (no crack lines from that one, more like a chip) and ask my local dealer if they can touch up the paint on the hood and on the mirror.

It's mirror stuff that no one knows it there, but I will so I feel the urge to get it fixed. Heh.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 01:53 AM   #33
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian32e
if my insurance covers this type of repair, will it make my premium go up if I have them pay for the fix? Apparently Geico will cover this free of charge but I don't want to save $55 when it will make my premium go up.
It will not automatically make your premium go up but it will be factored into things if you get another vehicle or the coverage changes on your current vehicle. Most companies will look at your claim history over a 36-48 month period to assess the likelihood of you filing a claim and thus them paying out $$. The higher the likeihood(among other things), the more likely you will have a high premium.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 02:06 AM   #34
tl_boy
Major
Rep

i did a ton of research, and ended up cancelling safelite. They are just too big and too fast to get in and out (avg mins or less customers say). The key is to get it early, and put a piece of tape over it, to keep dirt out.

i'll take a picture. the crack is gone, it looks like a scratch though. id say its about 80% improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
I just contacted Geico. They will fix it for free, no deductible, not replace, but fix. They suggested I use Safelite, a nationwide glass company, however I can use anyone else I want to.

Could someone who is more knowledeable about this subject, please take a look at this: http://www.safelite.com/repair_pop.jsp, and tell me if they think that is the best repair procedure available?

I would appreciate it. My 2 objectives in this are: 1, to conceal or eliminate the cosmetic damage, 2, to prevent the crack from spreading.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #35
Rich325i
Rich325i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Windshield chip

BMW offers a polishing agent if the chip isn't that bad. It really works!!