BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Wireless tray

04-17-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Wireless tray

Anybody that have it or don’t have any thoughts on how necessary they think it is? I didn’t order it but a retrofit is cheap and I may still be able to...but not really sold on it. My biggest hold up was it’s location... kinda feel like it’s self defeating being that tucked away... wish it was more forward and tilted so you can actually use it. I use waze and google maps primarily so apple car play is a no go.

Honestly it wouldn’t be too hard for someone to make a cheap alternative considering the USB port being right there. If someone could make a tilted tray with a flat ribbon usb angled, it would be better than the factory option.

There are some 12v ones out there too but they require a magnetic sticker where if it just had a grip it would be perfect... any alternatives or thoughts would be welcome... (wish I could make my own custome one)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:01 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Use it rarely. If you use the display key then arguably if more use although there is a cable that comes with that key that you can use as well. I believe a phone here also connects via induction to the outside aerial so that may be of benefit.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #3
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Use it rarely. If you use the display key then arguably if more use although there is a cable that comes with that key that you can use as well. I believe a phone here also connects via induction to the outside aerial so that may be of benefit.
Yeah in th US the remote isn’t standard so mostly for phone but it being flat and under the tray seems more useless to me. I think it’s odd they face the USB port upwards... who though that was good design? Would make more sense if inside or sideways.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

That's the standard port for music and updating the satnav (if you wish to do that)
With enhanced Bluetooth you also get anothe r USB port in the center glovebox.
I use that one mostly but sometimes handy to be able to have a usb stick in the other at the same time. A small usb stock will allow the cover to be closed as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I use mine frequently but then I hate wires in the car and my battery often needs a top up so it is a solution to a specific set of problems I personally have. Your mileage may vary.

I find the connection to the aerial helps massively also - I have numerous black spots in my area where I am often on the phone and the person on the other end says they cannot hear me, I will then put the phone on the wireless pad and reception improves every time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #6
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Use it daily on my afternoon drive home! Very handy to have.
      04-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

the thing I'm not sure about is the induction connection, is that fdor any phone or only those that have wireless charging capability?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

You need a phone with wireless charging I'm told
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #9
SteveMondragon
Seaman
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 | I01 | G30

I have it and never use it. Mainly because my iPhone X fits in there very snug and it’s a real pain to twist my hand and use my finger tips to try and get it out every time. Also no way for my wife to use it on her iPhone 8 Plus.

If I had a smaller phone like an iPhone 8, then maybe I’d use it. Instead, it now serves as a coin & sunglasses tray.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I use it pretty much every single drive either to top up my iPhone charge or for Display Key. Then again I also hate wires and use a wireless charger at home. In many ways wireless charging has become my default charging mode.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      04-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #11
matt666
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

I don’t use mine. I bought a usb wireless charger off amazon for about £10 and use that for charging the key at home. Seemed a bit pointless to have comfort access and then have to fish the key out of my pocket anyway to charge it up, and it’s fiddly to get out of the tray
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon View Post
I have it and never use it. Mainly because my iPhone X fits in there very snug and it’s a real pain to twist my hand and use my finger tips to try and get it out every time. Also no way for my wife to use it on her iPhone 8 Plus.

If I had a smaller phone like an iPhone 8, then maybe I’d use it. Instead, it now serves as a coin & sunglasses tray.
Yep i have an iphone x too so glad to hear your perspective, i hate where its located... i rarely need to charge my phone in my car anyhow, also here in Los Angeles... but wanted to see. I will say that I would love if there was grip with it incorporated that could just be stabbed into that cigarette lighter port... some come close but without the grip part.

Seems more people are using it for the keys which I wont have anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Yeah in th US the remote isn’t standard so mostly for phone but it being flat and under the tray seems more useless to me. I think it’s odd they face the USB port upwards... who though that was good design? Would make more sense if inside or sideways.
This could be an option:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012FLT7BE...a-308033050759
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:

Hmm, the iphone 8 and x both are pretty darn similar in form factor. I also have a 7+ for my work phone and it fits. No doubt you need to lift it up form the side but it fits and works with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #15
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Ha yeah i saw something like that, I think right now I am just gonna go for one of those QI wireless power banks which are like all of $29, portable and I can place it where I want. I will say its dumb they didn't combine this feature with apple carplay option, but I guess someone will pay for both. I went for neither.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #16
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Yeah I hear ya. I bought off the lot so it had whatever the dealer ordered.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #17
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Ha yeah i saw something like that, I think right now I am just gonna go for one of those QI wireless power banks which are like all of $29, portable and I can place it where I want. I will say its dumb they didn't combine this feature with apple carplay option, but I guess someone will pay for both. I went for neither.
That's assuming everyone has an iPhone which a manufacturer can't do, especially considering Android user base is bigger than that of iOS. So it makes perfect sense for BMW to keep CarPlay and Wireless Charging separated. In the UK, they've done the right thing by including it as part of Tech pack.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #18
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
That's assuming everyone has an iPhone which a manufacturer can't do, especially considering Android user base is bigger than that of iOS. So it makes perfect sense for BMW to keep CarPlay and Wireless Charging separated. In the UK, they've done the right thing by including it as part of Tech pack.
Location is everything as I read more and more of these threads and how our packages, technologies, types of fuel, types of driving really drastically change our priorities and vice versa. We get some of these cars cheaper but we also lose out on some standard options, or even add on options. To see how you can get everything on a 520d in some regions if optioned and not be able to on anything but the more expensive models here, it’s beyond frustrating. I am more a fully loaded lower tier or medium range car kinda guy vs the highest perfomance with compromise... so I don’t see how BMW is making anymore money doing this.

I agree with your sentiment, I guess really they should have included car play for free considering everyone else does. I defend BMW on a bunch of stuff but that one at this point is plain dickish on their part. Especially as it’s already built in. Knowing what I know about CarPlay and how they update though, even the dealership folks convinced me out of it. The actual things I’d want to use are not allowed and some overlap with iDrives own features.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK443.00
      04-20-2018, 02:25 AM   #19
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I use it to charge my display key .I like it's convenience nothing else more
      04-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #20
nlkccom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i AW

I think it all comes down to how often do you find yourself needing to charge your phone when you're in the car. At first I think it's cool to have a wireless charger in the car, but a few things turned me away.

1. Location of the charger - tucked away, hard to get to
2. I feel like I will keep forgetting to bring my phone when I leave the car
3. Price, $400 here in US. Insane!
4. Qi charging is slow
5. Not often I need to charge my phone when I'm in my car. I do have a cable for those just in case moment.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #21
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #22
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom View Post
I think it all comes down to how often do you find yourself needing to charge your phone when you're in the car. At first I think it's cool to have a wireless charger in the car, but a few things turned me away.

1. Location of the charger - tucked away, hard to get to
2. I feel like I will keep forgetting to bring my phone when I leave the car
3. Price, $400 here in US. Insane!
4. Qi charging is slow
5. Not often I need to charge my phone when I'm in my car. I do have a cable for those just in case moment.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with all this. I am thinking i may frankenstein a better solution with a QI powerbank that I combine with a ball mount and silicone corner grips.

Idea:I want to make a custom spring grip that forms around a removable QI powerbank with the magnetic ball mount part on the back or anything that has a 3m mounting.

It is shocking how the best solutions don't exist. A dockable QI powerbank with built in spring grips or a frame, seems like it would solve multiple issues for many scenarios, so i may just do that if possible, or a silicone grip around the powerbank may have to do. Clean and seamless and I can even take the power bank when needed.

You would think someone would have thought of the dockable and portable, qi wireless power bank with some sort of holder or grip by now.

I mean you dont even have to plug that into the car unless truly desperate as a lot of them are 10000MAH battery packs. I am tempted to start a kickstarter.

( Even my current method of a normal phone holder doesnt exist. I combined a small stand alone spring grip with a ball mount magnet to a steel ball 3m mounted. So much cleaner and better than putting on a stupid metal sticker to your phone or case.. makes more sense to put the magnet to a grip instead that sticks to the ball. Makes for easy unlatch too when i need to grab the phone to look closely.)
Appreciate 0