BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Little idiosyncracies in 540i

07-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Lightbulb Little idiosyncracies in 540i

Just things I've noticed as the weeks have turned into months with my 2018 540i M Sport.

- The buttons to adjust the volume on the radio move two increments at a time, while the volume control on the dashboard moves in single increments.

- The glare from the shiny bits around the shift lever (the wood inlay and the silver surrounding it) when the sun is hitting it at certain times of day shine right into my face from the front and passenger side windows. Nothing to be done about it, just annoying.

- The glare from the HUD on the dashboard/windshield angle means that in many sunny days and in many different circumstances, I can see the frame around the HUD display reflected in the windshield. A bit annoying and I try to ignore it.

- This tray has worked well for me in the center console, making it slightly more useful as a place to store my change. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-5-S...S/263687744097 ). Took a few weeks to get it from China tho.

- The trunks is cavernous. This thing holds more than most cars in its class, with a nice large, wide opening. I've already transported small furniture with it, no problem.

- I have 19" rims and although I've hit some pretty horrendous bumps and potholes in my driving, the wheels are still true and no tire problems. Will replace the run-flats with regular tires once these wear out.

- The interior lighting is just the right amount of cool in all the right places at night.

What are some of the interesting things you've noticed about your ride?
Appreciate 1
Krill39.50
      07-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Literally the only annoyance I have found is that sometimes when I quickly go to turn the radio volume down I hit the voice control button instead... can't really blame BMW for that one though! Aside from that mine has been utterly perfect - managing to get over 33mpg in normal driving (i.e. commuting plus a few bits of 'fun' driving) plus the engine is so flexible too. Finally, really like the interior lighting - gives it a great look.

Everyone who has seen it loves it, I get lots of compliments! I think this is one I will keep for quite a few years... My dealer will have a hard job persuading me to change.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

"Literally the only annoyance I have found is that sometimes when I quickly go to turn the radio volume down I hit the voice control button instead..."

I do this all the time as well......
      07-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
"Literally the only annoyance I have found is that sometimes when I quickly go to turn the radio volume down I hit the voice control button instead..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post

I prefer to use the volume knob on the center stack.

+1 on the ambient light. Driving this car at night absolutely rocks.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
mpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 gt 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongio View Post
Just things I've noticed as the weeks have turned into months with my 2018 540i M Sport.

- The buttons to adjust the volume on the radio move two increments at a time, while the volume control on the dashboard moves in single increments.

- The glare from the shiny bits around the shift lever (the wood inlay and the silver surrounding it) when the sun is hitting it at certain times of day shine right into my face from the front and passenger side windows. Nothing to be done about it, just annoying.

- The glare from the HUD on the dashboard/windshield angle means that in many sunny days and in many different circumstances, I can see the frame around the HUD display reflected in the windshield. A bit annoying and I try to ignore it.

- This tray has worked well for me in the center console, making it slightly more useful as a place to store my change. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-5-S...S/263687744097 ). Took a few weeks to get it from China tho.

- The trunks is cavernous. This thing holds more than most cars in its class, with a nice large, wide opening. I've already transported small furniture with it, no problem.

- I have 19" rims and although I've hit some pretty horrendous bumps and potholes in my driving, the wheels are still true and no tire problems. Will replace the run-flats with regular tires once these wear out.

- The interior lighting is just the right amount of cool in all the right places at night.

What are some of the interesting things you've noticed about your ride?
Hey Bos,
The center console organizer seems like a good idea but it looks very shallow and you are losing so much of the little storage we have?? do you put stuff underneath as well and does the top or part of the top lift up?? the website description and images dont really give much of an idea..
mp
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongio View Post

Screen reflections are quite common, (light, angles, colours, etc..), other model ranges have the same issue. F10 got a slating from some users for the same reflections.

Definitely ignore it, don’t let the brain focus on the issue, or it will become a much bigger problem to you, even an obsession. I have HUD in my F11, I look through the occasional reflections, without focusing, or giving attention, you soon don’t even notice them.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Loving the car in general. Good engine and the Integral Active Steering - grown to love it immensely. There's so many positives ... yet the few things that to me are not quite right, include:
  • The cruise control, either in fully auto (radar) or speed limiter modes always over runs on the set speed when going down hill (speed limiter being the worst culprit by far). The coding on that logic is totally wrong and at odds with what the car is actually capable of doing.
  • The semi-autonomous steering assist is almost unusable (bordering on dangerous). It is so heavily biased towards the left of the lane that I've had near crashes with other cars. I've also had the car change into an exit ramp lane because it was so close to it that it just picked the new lane.
  • The volume adjust on the wheel - I'd still love a mute button on the wheel rather than have to reach for the dash.
  • The placement of the three massage/memory buttons on the door is too low to clearly distinguish them. I'm forever hitting the wrong button.
  • Ventilated seats ... hmm, yea well let's just say the right idea was there. The amount of airflow however is ridiculous.
  • Storage cubby under the wheel could have been a bit deeper (like in the F10)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #8
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have the standard cruise control and the car keeps the set speed whether you are coming down on the other side of a bridge or a small hill.

Seems then to be an issue with the active/radar cruise control.

One pet peeve I have with the trunk is while very spacious for the class, it is short in storage cubbies and there is no underfloor storage, at least that's the case on the 530i.

Just came back from a leisure Sunday afternoon drive and this car is just amazing. What a lovely balance of sport, luxury and comfort!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Loving the car in general. Good engine and the Integral Active Steering - grown to love it immensely. There's so many positives ... yet the few things that to me are not quite right, include:
  • The cruise control, either in fully auto (radar) or speed limiter modes always over runs on the set speed when going down hill (speed limiter being the worst culprit by far). The coding on that logic is totally wrong and at odds with what the car is actually capable of doing.
  • The semi-autonomous steering assist is almost unusable (bordering on dangerous). It is so heavily biased towards the left of the lane that I've had near crashes with other cars. I've also had the car change into an exit ramp lane because it was so close to it that it just picked the new lane.
  • The volume adjust on the wheel - I'd still love a mute button on the wheel rather than have to reach for the dash.
  • The placement of the three massage/memory buttons on the door is too low to clearly distinguish them. I'm forever hitting the wrong button.
  • Ventilated seats ... hmm, yea well let's just say the right idea was there. The amount of airflow however is ridiculous.
  • Storage cubby under the wheel could have been a bit deeper (like in the F10)
It almost sounds like spending extra for these features is not really worth it?

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

I hate the feature that turns your car off when yo make a stop, and then starts it again when you step on the gas. Sometimes I forget to turn that off when I start the car and then I stop and the car feels like its going to stall then I am like oh crap forgot to turn that off.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I prefer to use the volume knob on the center stack.

+1 on the ambient light. Driving this car at night absolutely rocks.
+2. I find that I can reach the volume knob without looking so it becomes actually more useful than the button on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveindubai View Post
I hate the feature that turns your car off when yo make a stop, and then starts it again when you step on the gas. Sometimes I forget to turn that off when I start the car and then I stop and the car feels like its going to stall then I am like oh crap forgot to turn that off.
You mean ASS?

In the US market, ASS is turned off by default.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #13
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
A
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #14
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the important word in there is Assist. It's designed as an assist and works fantastic in that way. I use it all the time within the limits of the system and it's great. All the limits of the system are clear in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
I think the important word in there is Assist. It's designed as an assist and works fantastic in that way. I use it all the time within the limits of the system and it's great. All the limits of the system are clear in the manual.
Agree they only 'assist'.

As I see it, the current systems are really testing the technology for future levels of autonomous driving. Use clearly shows how much more development is still required, before we are in a position to trust handing over control to computers.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      07-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Ghanziang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 3.5i Silver

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
Am I the only one who uses the pointing at the center display to control the volume? I find I don't use the radio volume, or the volume on the steering wheel anymore. Wife laughs at me when I try to do that in her car as it doesn't have that feature.

G.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #17
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
The radar cruise works a charm I give you that - wouldn't be without it. Smooth braking and keeps perfect distance and speed in relation to car in front. It therefore doesn't make sense to have a speed limiter that runs away on you on a downward hill. That's no longer an assist. That's like a thing from yesteryear where cruise controls were dumb and linked only to limit throttle/revs. The car is perfectly capable of braking to keep you within speed. It just doesn't bother unless there's a car in front. Either my car is faulty or it's just bad coding on the system logic.

Our previous car had the same 'assist' systems and they worked exactly as you expect. Steering assist picked the centre of the lane (not the far left) and speed limiter always kept you within the limit set. The G30 though doesn't. I'm all ears if others are having different results, but I drove another 5 series and found LIM mode behaved the same way (i.e. speeding down hill). The left bias in the lane keep was also something I've read from others here. Perhaps its a calibration issue? Keen to hear if others are not seeing the same car behaviours.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #18
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Our previous car had the same 'assist' systems and they worked exactly as you expect. Steering assist picked the centre of the lane (not the far left) and speed limiter always kept you within the limit set. The G30 though doesn't. I'm all ears if others are having different results, but I drove another 5 series and found LIM mode behaved the same way (i.e. speeding down hill). The left bias in the lane keep was also something I've read from others here. Perhaps its a calibration issue? Keen to hear if others are not seeing the same car behaviours.
Unless your previous car was a G12 or G30, you wouldn't have had the same driving assist. Going by your previous message, I thought you said driving Assist is dangerous and you nearly bumped into other cars. In which case you clearly have an issue with your car. As I said previously, it's an Assist and there's no autonomous driving car in the world yet. Closest there is the new Audi which is a L3 car.
Appreciate 0