BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing '18 M550iX Oil (?) leakage

04-05-2024, 07:33 PM   #1
dasari07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

'18 M550iX Oil (?) leakage

Hey all, just bought a 2018 M550i on Wednesday night. Woke up this morning and went to look at it and found an oil leak. It leaked from in front of the front left wheel and leaked that amount over about 7 hours.

Does anyone know where it is coming from or know a likely diagnosis? There is a very visible wet mark on the front of the left fender liner. The previous owner said the front fluid-filled control arms were on their way out, so I'm wondering if it's hydraulic fluid from that. I was thinking it was coming from the radiator in that part of the bumper. I started the car, and no more fluid leaked.

Any help is appreciated, pics attached to imgur link, thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/6Sad8xx
https://imgur.com/a/ioaP7BD
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 11:45 AM   #2
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Looks like engine oil. There is not that much fluid from the suspension bushings...its tiny amount.

I would flat bed it to the shop. Don't drive it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 04:16 PM   #3
dasari07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

A BMW tech on reddit said it was from the thrust arm bushings up front, could it be that? Started the car twice after the leak (Never drove just started it) and had no further leakage. The leak was overnight so was expecting more if it was from the motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 02:06 PM   #4
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasari07 View Post
A BMW tech on reddit said it was from the thrust arm bushings up front, could it be that? Started the car twice after the leak (Never drove just started it) and had no further leakage. The leak was overnight so was expecting more if it was from the motor.
I suppose it is possible. I have never seen that much fluid come out of a thrust arm bushing...maybe a tablespoon full. Perhaps they hold more now?

If the lights are off and you are not getting low oil pressure or oil level warnings, then it is safe to drive to the shop. But if any warnings come up, shut it down immediately.

Do you have wheel chocks, jack and jack stands so you can inspect from below? It would be ideal to confirm the source.
Appreciate 0