E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > next gen G35 vs the redesigned e90?

09-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #89
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

MotorTrend already did a comparo between the 2007 G35 Sport (all-new sedan) and the E90 330i. The E90 won.

I can only imagine that it will be by an even broader margin when the E90 335i is introduced for the 2007 model year as well.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 02:37 AM   #90
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

are we still arguing about which one is BETTER?

or which one people should get instead of?

cause magazines and test drives already proved E90 the better one....

but it's other people's choice of which car to get, can't really go up to them and say they're stupid of getting another car that's not from BMW....

just my opinion///
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 12:27 PM   #91
SP330
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5

I think the BMW pride in this thread is going overboard.

In all honesty I think the G35 should've won the comparison.

You guys are acting like $9,000 is chump change, maybe when you're shopping for a 760Li or something but not when you're shopping for the lowest respective models offered.

What do you seriously get for that $9,000? Prestige and a little more of a composed driving feel.

Step away from this comparison and look at my car, its direct competitor is a Porsche Boxter, similarly equipped costs at least $10k more than my car.

Mine is faster and way cheaper (just like the G compared to a 3)

What do I get for that 10 grand? a badge and some more driving feel? no thanks

You can get a fully loaded M45 for around $60K with rear seat entertainment and all. A similarly loaded 550i would be around $75-80K.

While the BMW is the ultimate driving machine that I agree with, but the competitors are coming up and fast.

My sig wont be true come the next generation of competitors.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #92
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20022
The Japanese are learning more and more each and every day. From Performance to Style the G35 is by far BMW's closest competitor today. Almost overnight the Japanese have a car that competes in sales against the "benchmark" of sport coupes and sedans. I personally think that when the 2007 G35 is released that we are going to lose a few E90 and E92 owners from this post.
I swear IF i had the money it would be me. I love my 325i, but the navi is not that great engineering wise and its too slow for the amount of money you are spending.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #93
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP330

You guys are acting like $9,000 is chump change, maybe when you're shopping for a 760Li or something but not when you're shopping for the lowest respective models offered.

What do you seriously get for that $9,000? Prestige and a little more of a composed driving feel.

Step away from this comparison and look at my car, its direct competitor is a Porsche Boxter, similarly equipped costs at least $10k more than my car.

You can get a fully loaded M45 for around $60K with rear seat entertainment and all. A similarly loaded 550i would be around $75-80K.

While the BMW is the ultimate driving machine that I agree with, but the competitors are coming up and fast.

Thats all I have been trying to say all this time. Thank You
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #94
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

Well said. The amusing thing is that at least half of the people proclaiming the superior driving dynamics of the BMW for their choice probably can't drive for sh*t
      09-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #95
clutch09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
Well said. The amusing thing is that at least half of the people proclaiming the superior driving dynamics of the BMW for their choice probably can't drive for sh*t
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 02:24 PM   #96
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

What overboard BMW pride? I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't really see anyone saying the G35 was a horrible car. I read a couple people say the E90 was superior, and it is. The same way the Boxster is superior to your Z4, and to my Z4.

The E90 won that comparo. I don't care who you think should have won, but the fact of the matter is that the E90 was the better car. Does that mean you should buy it over the G35? Not necessarily. But that doesn't change the fact that I think the comparo was fair.

You know what would have been even MORE fair? Comparing two '06 models and two '07 models. That way the E90 330i could spank the current generation G35. And then the E90 335i could spank the next-gen 2007 G35. That's what would have been fair.

I'm sorry if you don't LIKE that. But that doesn't mean I'm bursting at the seams with BMW fanboy pride. The G35 is an amazing car when you take the money into consideration. But I'm also aware of the fact that Infiniti has the profits of Nissan behind it in addition to its own, and as such they can afford to sacrifice some of the profit margins on their cars. BMW as a whole exists primarily on the premium level with much lower volume, and as such profit margins are more important for them to continue functioning at the level they have been functioning at.

I respect that and I don't mind paying a couple extra grand if I know that it's going to go back and feed the development of new products and technologies at one of the companies that I admire most.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just don't understand what the big deal is. If you can/want to pay the extra money for a solid BMW product, then pay it. If not, hey, the G35 offers E90-like-or-better levels of performance for less - but you can't pretend that it's a better car. Better value? Definitely. Is a Corvette Z06 a better car than a 360 Modena?

We bought a Hyundai once. I mean come on... Honda-levels of performance, for alot less money? Sounds great, right? Needless to say, five years into the car things were falling off/apart left and right. All those "soft-touch dash materials" we're literally peeling off the dash. We GAVE it away. Our Honda? Six years into it, and the only problem we've had is a door handle. We just sold the Mazda (cost more or less the same as the Honda) after 11 years and 165,000 faithful miles... we had to replace the radiatior twice when it was nine or ten years old, but it served us well for a very long time.

Now, I'm a firm believer in the saying "You get what you pay for."
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #97
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpaintmepunkxx
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

What overboard BMW pride? I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't really see anyone saying the G35 was a horrible car. I read a couple people say the E90 was superior, and it is. The same way the Boxster is superior to your Z4, and to my Z4.

The E90 won that comparo. I don't care who you think should have won, but the fact of the matter is that the E90 was the better car. Does that mean you should buy it over the G35? Not necessarily. But that doesn't change the fact that I think the comparo was fair.

You know what would have been even MORE fair? Comparing two '06 models and two '07 models. That way the E90 330i could spank the current generation G35. And then the E90 335i could spank the next-gen 2007 G35. That's what would have been fair.

I'm sorry if you don't LIKE that. But that doesn't mean I'm bursting at the seams with BMW fanboy pride. The G35 is an amazing car when you take the money into consideration. But I'm also aware of the fact that Infiniti has the profits of Nissan behind it in addition to its own, and as such they can afford to sacrifice some of the profit margins on their cars. BMW as a whole exists primarily on the premium level with much lower volume, and as such profit margins are more important for them to continue functioning at the level they have been functioning at.

I respect that and I don't mind paying a couple extra grand if I know that it's going to go back and feed the development of new products and technologies at one of the companies that I admire most.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just don't understand what the big deal is. If you can/want to pay the extra money for a solid BMW product, then pay it. If not, hey, the G35 offers E90-like-or-better levels of performance for less - but you can't pretend that it's a better car. Better value? Definitely. Is a Corvette Z06 a better car than a 360 Modena?

We bought a Hyundai once. I mean come on... Honda-levels of performance, for alot less money? Sounds great, right? Needless to say, five years into the car things were falling off/apart left and right. All those "soft-touch dash materials" we're literally peeling off the dash. We GAVE it away. Our Honda? Six years into it, and the only problem we've had is a door handle. We just sold the Mazda (cost more or less the same as the Honda) after 11 years and 165,000 faithful miles... we had to replace the radiatior twice when it was nine or ten years old, but it served us well for a very long time.

I like the last part..." You get what you pay for."

I paid for ultimate fun and joy in driving THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #98
tek2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: Steering wheel inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcphillips1
This type of topic always gets me fired up.
I don't see why so many people read into these reviews and comparisons. Who cares what these writers think. Advertising dollars win the comparisons anyway. Test Drive and make your own decision. I mean do you really think the Honda Civic is the "Car of the Year"? Hell, no it's not!! But they decided to give it to someone different this year. The 330 beats the G35 hands down and anyone who chooses the G35 over a BMW is purchasing with "pinching pennies" in mind and not overall performance. A G35 is a Nissan, just like a Lexus is a Toyota. But a BMW is a BMW. Owned by BMW. Nuff said. I need to take a breath now.
please. i guess it's ok that the 3 won a comparo even though it had tons of problems. tell me who's paying who for what now?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #99
tek2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: Steering wheel inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
BTW..I don't even consider the G35 coupe similiar. The G35 coupe shares almost nothing with the G35 sedan. Nissan just dressed up the 350z, added an Infiniti badge and called it the G35 coupe.
that's why they have the same engine and interior and wheelbase right? the g coupe is similar to a z but it's hardly a dressed up z. my god and you guys wonder why people think bimmer owners are pricks...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #100
SP330
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The overboard of BMW pride is not from people saying the G35 is a horrible car. It's from everybody chiming in on how much better the 3 series is than the G35. Granted it is betterif cost was no object, but it sure as hell isn't $9k better. Yes I watched that BMW dvd they gave me upon purchasing my car, I still don't see how its worth that much more.

Hyundais shouldn't get into this because they still have a little bit more to go to equal their competitors. With the new G35, I think Infiniti's 98% on target.

I don't know why the E90 335i has to be brought into this, as if the 330i and the G35's price difference wasn't enough.

In the old days when you bought a BMW you bought it for being the ultimate driving machine. Granted it still is.

Most BMW's sold here are automatic (nothing against auto owners here).

BMW now caters to these badge whores who know nothing about what a special machine theyre driving.

Dont believe me?Take a good look at the new interiors of the 3,5,6,7,z4,x3.

And that performance gap and driving feel BMW's were and still are renowned for compared to their opponents is closing.

I'm a BMW fan for life. But nowadays they aren't lightyears ahead of the competition like they once were.

Lexus is 95 percent of Mercedes

Infiniti is 90 percent of BMW not the 30 percent it was not too long ago

What people dont realize is our cars are not that much more superior than the opponents.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #101
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The overboard of BMW pride is not from people saying the G35 is a horrible car. It's from everybody chiming in on how much better the 3 series is than the G35. Granted it is betterif cost was no object, but it sure as hell isn't $9k better. Yes I watched that BMW dvd they gave me upon purchasing my car, I still don't see how its worth that much more.

Hyundais shouldn't get into this because they still have a little bit more to go to equal their competitors. With the new G35, I think Infiniti's 98% on target.

I don't know why the E90 335i has to be brought into this, as if the 330i and the G35's price difference wasn't enough.

In the old days when you bought a BMW you bought it for being the ultimate driving machine. Granted it still is.

Most BMW's sold here are automatic (nothing against auto owners here).

BMW now caters to these badge whores who know nothing about what a special machine theyre driving.

Dont believe me?Take a good look at the new interiors of the 3,5,6,7,z4,x3.

And that performance gap and driving feel BMW's were and still are renowned for compared to their opponents is closing.

I'm a BMW fan for life. But nowadays they aren't lightyears ahead of the competition like they once were.

Lexus is 95 percent of Mercedes

Infiniti is 90 percent of BMW not the 30 percent it was not too long ago

What people dont realize is our cars are not that much more superior than the opponents.
The E90 335i comes into play, because the G35 Sport that Motor Trend compared to the '06 330i was a 2007 model with the 306hp 3.5l revised VQ engine. That means that it's significantly more expensive than the 2006 G35. If you were to compare '07 model to '07 model, then the price difference would remain more or less the same, but the E90 would have alot more performance than the 330i to help ease the sting of the price difference.

Yeah, I agree that the competition is closer than ever. But if you realize, the closer the competition gets, the narrower the price margins get. Yeah, the GS430 is $6K cheaper than an E550... but it's also half a second slower, and in my opinion uglier. I'd take the Mercedes, honestly.

And seriously, if you option out our cars wisely, they are not that much more expensive than the competition. If you can sacrifice a couple doodads that you'll never miss, and you can reduce that price difference to, let's say, $2000... then I think that's $2000 that most on this board would agree is not being wasted for a car that is still superior, Bluetooth or not. If you absolutely must have this option, or that option and price comes more heavily into play... then sure... the Lexus or Infiniti may just be the perfect answer to your dilemna. That's what life is all about, choice, right?

Look, no amount of your trying is going to convince me that my car isn't worth the difference I paid over the competition. Everyone's circumstances are different, you don't know how much I paid for my car, and you don't know how much someone paid for their G35. So you can't go around saying that people are making "prestige" based buying decisions and throwing away "$9k" because you just don't know.

And if you insist on this debate, then answer me one question: We know you didn't choose a Boxster because the increase in performance didn't justify the increase in price for you... But then... Why didn't you get an S2000 (which I happen to think is an AMAZING car) instead of your Z4 and save even more?

I didn't know people still believed that bullshit line about how people buy BMWs over Mercedes or Lexus or Infiniti because of the "badge". I mean because honestly... most people aren't masochists... if I thought the Infiniti or the Lexus or the C-Class was better for me... I would have bought one, right?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #102
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Could well be true.

On the flip side of the coin - the people that *do* know how to drive will be able to take a 330i and put the G35 hopelessly in the rearview.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #103
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy
are we still arguing about which one is BETTER?

cause magazines and test drives already proved E90 the better one...
The thing is you can't really say that these reviews _prove_ the E90 "better". They are just opinions, and everyone will have different criteria for evaluating the cars. For some money is most important, for some driving dynamics is king, and some people care most about build quality. And so on.

That's why the best solution is a test drive. It would be great if, before people started threads like these, they would begin by test drving and then come back here to compare notes if they wish. Just IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #104
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0
No one overtakes the identity of BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine"
AMEN to that!!

I'll take a BMW over any Japanese car!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #105
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:

agreed, 90% of the people on this board would get their asses handed to them by a well driven civic.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #106
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
The thing is you can't really say that these reviews _prove_ the E90 "better". They are just opinions, and everyone will have different criteria for evaluating the cars. For some money is most important, for some driving dynamics is king, and some people care most about build quality. And so on.

That's why the best solution is a test drive. It would be great if, before people started threads like these, they would begin by test drving and then come back here to compare notes if they wish. Just IMHO.
+1. Again. I find myself doing this with alot of your posts, buddy.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #107
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
agreed, 90% of the people on this board would get their asses handed to them by a well driven civic.
LOL. *raises hand* That'd be... um... me. And I still found this one-liner hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #108
SP330
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The E90 335i comes into play, because the G35 Sport that Motor Trend compared to the '06 330i was a 2007 model with the 306hp 3.5l revised VQ engine. That means that it's significantly more expensive than the 2006 G35. If you were to compare '07 model to '07 model, then the price difference would remain more or less the same, but the E90 would have alot more performance than the 330i to help ease the sting of the price difference.

Yeah, I agree that the competition is closer than ever. But if you realize, the closer the competition gets, the narrower the price margins get. Yeah, the GS430 is $6K cheaper than an E550... but it's also half a second slower, and in my opinion uglier. I'd take the Mercedes, honestly.

And seriously, if you option out our cars wisely, they are not that much more expensive than the competition. If you can sacrifice a couple doodads that you'll never miss, and you can reduce that price difference to, let's say, $2000... then I think that's $2000 that most on this board would agree is not being wasted for a car that is still superior, Bluetooth or not. If you absolutely must have this option, or that option and price comes more heavily into play... then sure... the Lexus or Infiniti may just be the perfect answer to your dilemna. That's what life is all about, choice, right?

Look, no amount of your trying is going to convince me that my car isn't worth the difference I paid over the competition. Everyone's circumstances are different, you don't know how much I paid for my car, and you don't know how much someone paid for their G35. So you can't go around saying that people are making "prestige" based buying decisions and throwing away "$9k" because you just don't know.

And if you insist on this debate, then answer me one question: We know you didn't choose a Boxster because the increase in performance didn't justify the increase in price for you... But then... Why didn't you get an S2000 (which I happen to think is an AMAZING car) instead of your Z4 and save even more?

I didn't know people still believed that bullshit line about how people buy BMWs over Mercedes or Lexus or Infiniti because of the "badge". I mean because honestly... most people aren't masochists... if I thought the Infiniti or the Lexus or the C-Class was better for me... I would have bought one, right?
S2000 was too boy-racer and I needed some good low end torque, hence I went with the Z4. Your point remains and I'm not trying to retract from you buying the E90 or anything like that.

And honestly at least 80 percent of people who buy a new BMW their reason is certainly not because its the "ultimate driving machine" and has spectacular driving dynamics.

We [99% of people on this board] bought them because they are ultimate driving machines.

The only point I'm trying to make is that our cars are not THAT much better than the competition.

And Im not trying to convince you of anything just having a friendly argument .
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #109
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
S2000 was too boy-racer and I needed some good low end torque, hence I went with the Z4. Your point remains and I'm not trying to retract from you buying the E90 or anything like that.

And honestly at least 80 percent of people who buy a new BMW their reason is certainly not because its the "ultimate driving machine" and has spectacular driving dynamics.

We [99% of people on this board] bought them because they are ultimate driving machines.

The only point I'm trying to make is that our cars are not THAT much better than the competition.

And Im not trying to convince you of anything just having a friendly argument .

Cool.

I love the S2000, but the Z4 simply made more financial sense this time around - although I'm falling more and more in love with the Z. I'm already fantasizing about what the next-gen S2000 vs next-gen Z4 (or Z2, if that becomes the entry-level BMW roadster). I'm sure both companies will introduce postively kick-ass successors.

And I agree that probably most of the people who buy BMW's here in the States do not buy them because they will actually USE all the performance our cars have to offer over the competition... because 95% won't.

But many people just like the knowledge that theoretically their car performs better.

Many people probably buy BMW's for the looks; Many people in Miami, at least... especially the Design Districts, et al... think that BMW's and Audi's are the most beautiful cars, sculptural in ways that other cars can't even approach.

Many people probably get BMW's because of really good lease deals - I know that's how I was introduced to BMW ownership years ago. I always thought I could never afford to drive a BMW... but after a day at the Honda dealership, it would have cost me more to lease a decently-equipped V6 Accord than to lease a 325i! Go figure!

So yeah, there are probably a whole lot of reasons why people buy BMW's. For some it's performance, and to THOSE people, yeah... the performance is obviously worth the price difference. To everyone else who drives BMW's, the performance alone probably isn't worth the price difference over the competition... but there was obviously some other draw to the brand as a whole, and the performance was just the juicy-ass cherry on top.

I hate to use this comparison because, it's been made before... but it's like Dell versus Apple. Both are utterly capable, quality products. But one is a choice prompted by lust, the other by pragmatism. Only you know if it's worth it in your eyes.

In the end, we're all supporting a company that... in my ideological, artsy-fartsy set of eyes... is an amazingly bold company of people driven by engineering excellence and creative ideas at the same time, in a world where most large multinational companies are utterly conservative, striving to garner market share and turn a profit without bothering to look outside the box we've drawn around ourselves. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2006, 01:56 PM   #110
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I think people buy japanese due to percieved better reliablilty and incorrect assumption that it's crazy expensive to maintain a BMW

also most BMW dealerships (nice ones) are run very different than a infiniti dealership (much more like a honda,ford,GM..... dealer)
and people like to stick to what they're used to
im curious about this one...

if this is only "percived" then why in Consumer Reports are all the Toyota/ nissan/ hondas (japan) almost all full red circles in 90% ccategories
and BMW/ MB/ ect.. (euro) not????