BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Integral Active Steering

03-25-2018, 02:22 AM   #23
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
I'm due to receive my car within the next 2 weeks. Will have IAS and dynamic dampeners but lost out on the active rollbars as a result. Still hoping it will be OK -I'll write up a review here when I get the car.
Interesting to know what you think. I would have gone for ias but didn't want to drop the active rollbars. I don't regret it for a second. Active rollbars are great. I would have wanted ias mainly for a tighter turning circle but seems like at low speeds it feels weird from the OP's post...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:19 AM   #24
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Interesting to know what you think. I would have gone for ias but didn't want to drop the active rollbars. I don't regret it for a second. Active rollbars are great. I would have wanted ias mainly for a tighter turning circle but seems like at low speeds it feels weird from the OP's post...

There will be no roll bars if you opt for IAS ?

Would you explain what you mean by "active rollbars"?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:34 AM   #25
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

I have the IAS, combined with M Sport passive suspension , 20" wheels, non-RFT Michelin PS4S and xdrive.

This is the biggest and heaviest car i have owned and handles much better than i expected.

It is not my DD, take it out just for fun and spirited drive and shame on me do stupid things when the roads are clear.

I am very happy with the agility and road holding of the car.

As i ordered my car without a test drive and it is the only G30 i have driven so far i cannot really comment how much of it to attribute to IAS or suspension / xdrive / non-RFT or probably combination of all.

Maneuverability in city and tight parking spots are the obvious benefits of IAS though.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post
There will be no roll bars if you opt for IAS ?

Would you explain what you mean by "active rollbars"?
Can't get both IAS and Active Roll Control on most models.

Active roll bars give the benefit of excellent roll control in cornering, without having stiff bars and the negatives that they give, particularly over single wheel bumps. Really good body control with added comfort. Also enables tuning in the software/algorithms for balancing the chassis between oversteer and understeer, according to driving loads and conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #27
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
any other inputs about Integral Active Steering?
I'll let you know next week
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:15 PM   #28
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

I've also read mixed things and I would have still gotten it living in a city but unfortunately its not even customizable to a 530e which I am ordering. Similarly the m-sport package on a 530e does not have the m-sport suspension so I opted for adaptive... might as well be comfy if I am not getting aggressive. I will truly miss my adaptive M currently... and you have to get a M550i to even have that option.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #29
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

I have IAS and EDC but only have 1,300 miles on the clock. I'd love to do a back-to back comparison with the ARC as without it I'm not sure how you decide which is the better choice.

I have a lot of confidence in the car on the motorway, putting on some miles last week. The car felt incredibly well planted and controlled in some very wet weather. On some tighter 50mph B roads the car felt a little wide to be properly wieldy but could still be made to hustle. In both situations I was unaware of the IAS doing its thing.

Before my recent trip my overriding feeling was that the steering was too light and that the car was harder to place accurately than the F10 it replaced. I wasn't sure how much of that was down to the fact the steering does seem to have less feel, and how much might be due to the IAS.

Ultimately I'm hoping I may just need to put more miles on the clock and continue building confidence in the steering and IAS. Driving all options (IAS, Active Damping, regular suspension) would be recommended if you get the chance.

Like Mr.blue I'm also a little confused by the parking! I have no idea - again - if it's the light steering or the IAS but I'm working harder to not park like an idiot than I can remember before
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidI View Post
I have IAS and EDC but only have 1,300 miles on the clock. I'd love to do a back-to back comparison with the ARC as without it I'm not sure how you decide which is the better choice.

I have a lot of confidence in the car on the motorway, putting on some miles last week. The car felt incredibly well planted and controlled in some very wet weather. On some tighter 50mph B roads the car felt a little wide to be properly wieldy but could still be made to hustle. In both situations I was unaware of the IAS doing its thing.

Before my recent trip my overriding feeling was that the steering was too light and that the car was harder to place accurately than the F10 it replaced. I wasn't sure how much of that was down to the fact the steering does seem to have less feel, and how much might be due to the IAS.

Ultimately I'm hoping I may just need to put more miles on the clock and continue building confidence in the steering and IAS. Driving all options (IAS, Active Damping, regular suspension) would be recommended if you get the chance.

Like Mr.blue I'm also a little confused by the parking! I have no idea - again - if it's the light steering or the IAS but I'm working harder to not park like an idiot than I can remember before
turn on snow chain mode, which turns OFF IAS, might let you park the way you want
Appreciate 1
DavidI22.00
      03-31-2018, 05:21 AM   #31
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Quote:
turn on snow chain mode, which turns OFF IAS, might let you park the way you want
Good tip, thanks, though I might prefer to still be able to blame the car
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #32
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Wow great tip about the snow chain mode. Thanks for that. I was looking for a way to turn off the IAS to see if I could sense any difference.

I've only had the car for a few days but have to admit I'm struggling to feel a difference that points towards rear wheel steering. The IAS doesn't appear to be active when you're parking. I've had someone watch the rear wheels because they certainly don't steer when standing still (i.e. when you swing the fronts from left-to-right). They must only come on over a certain threshold. The turn radius isn't any tighter than the F10 I had either.

To me the car feels very confident through corners but it doesn't feel noticeably different to an F10 with standard rear wheel drive in terms of steering behavior. I'm going to definitely try the snow chain tip above to see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #33
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Just wondering, does anyone else with the DHP feel a difference when backing the car into a parking space? I believe the rear wheels steer even while backing, right? My 550i was preordered without the 360 view which I had gotten so used to on my previous F10.