BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications For ECU tunes, are the BMW ECU locks based on model year or software updates?

03-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
For ECU tunes, are the BMW ECU locks based on model year or software updates?

I'm interested in an ECU tune like Bootmod3 (BM3) or the MHD flash tuner. If it matters, it's for the B58 engine. I'm concerned about spending $600+ on an ECU flash that may be disabled by a BMW software update.

I've read across the Bimmerpost model forums that the latest model cars have their ECUs locked or blocked from accepting ECU tunes like those mentioned above. However, in this post in the F30 section, https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805881, the owner stated his installed ECU flash was removed by a dealer software update. Further, the owner stated his ECU would not accept the same ECU flash after the software update, at least without removing his ECU.

So,

1. Are BMW dealer software updates locking/preventing ECU flashes for all G chassis cars regardless of the car's build date?

2. My 540's current software is I-Level S15A-20-3-532. Does this software level include the feature that locks/prevents ECU flashes?

Not interested in a "bench flash" for my ECU. If I don't go with the ECU flash, I'll go with JB4 or RaceChip.