BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Variable light distribution + anti dazzle 2021 540xi

03-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
goat milk
Private
Rep
Drives: g30 LCI

Variable light distribution + anti dazzle 2021 540xi

I just had a local guy do some coding for me, and two of the options he did was the VLD and anti dazzle. I was told to leave auto high beams on, and push the stalk back to activate high beams. I was driving around and every other car was high beaming me. Am I doing something wrong? Any way to check if it's active? I didn't really see the beams moving out of the way.
      03-26-2021, 02:38 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

You should have a high beam with an 'A' symbol in you dash. If the 'A' isn't there then it's just standard high beam , which explains why others were complaining

You don't pull on the stick , you press the button on the end of the stick( there are 2 , one for what you choose to display on the cluster ie mpg or odometer and the other is to turn on auto high beam.

If when doing that auto high beam is not illuminated that suggest you have some more coding to do assuming hardware is present
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 03:37 AM   #3
alhusam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F90

Dont push the stalk back. Just activate the auto high beam. The car will automatically turn on the high beam when there is no sufficient lighting in the street and it wont dazzle other drivers (if coded correctly)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
goat milk
Private
Rep
Drives: g30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You should have a high beam with an 'A' symbol in you dash. If the 'A' isn't there then it's just standard high beam , which explains why others were complaining

You don't pull on the stick , you press the button on the end of the stick( there are 2 , one for what you choose to display on the cluster ie mpg or odometer and the other is to turn on auto high beam.

If when doing that auto high beam is not illuminated that suggest you have some more coding to do assuming hardware is present
Yeah I've always pressed the button on the end of the stick to enable auto high beams. The green headlight symbol with the "A" comes on. So I'm not supposed to manually push the stick to turn on the high beams? I thought VLD enabled you to drive around with the high beams full time without blinding others.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That's correct the green headlight symbol with the 'a' next to it means it's active
Don't press the stalk
When the ambient light is low enough and there are no headlight or tail lights detected by the camera the high beam (adaptive) will come on. You will see a blue light on the dashboard at the same time although it will be pretty obvious it's on!
Appreciate 0