BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2021 G30 - Run Flat / Space Saver Spare Urgent Questions

01-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 (ordering)

2021 G30 - Run Flat / Space Saver Spare Urgent Questions

Hi,

First time poster on these boards - but from what I've been reading so far they are very helpful.

I am in the process of placing an order in the US for a '21 G30 540i X Drive. I'm new to Run Flat Tires and have read many reviews on them and heard all the pros and cons. Let me get to the point of my questions.

1 - It seems that trunk floor is raised to accommodate the space saver spare - which will impact how flat the floor is and the rear folding seats are down. I'm concerned about how much trunk space I will lose. Can someone that has it show me a picture of how that looks - showing the rear seats folded down?

2 - Is it true that this cartridge unit raised floor can easily be removed? I would consider removing it except for when traveling on a long trip.

3 - If we are on a long trip and were to have an issue with the RFT tire and we drove to a shop but they couldn't get replacement RFT for a few days, would we be able to put on a Non RFT to replace the tire and how long could we leave that on? What is impact of driving with 3 RFT and 1 Non RFT?

I appreciate your feedback on this topic so I can have peace of mind with my ordering decision.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruise View Post
Hi,

First time poster on these boards - but from what I've been reading so far they are very helpful.

I am in the process of placing an order in the US for a '21 G30 540i X Drive. I'm new to Run Flat Tires and have read many reviews on them and heard all the pros and cons. Let me get to the point of my questions.

1 - It seems that trunk floor is raised to accommodate the space saver spare - which will impact how flat the floor is and the rear folding seats are down. I'm concerned about how much trunk space I will lose. Can someone that has it show me a picture of how that looks - showing the rear seats folded down?

2 - Is it true that this cartridge unit raised floor can easily be removed? I would consider removing it except for when traveling on a long trip.

3 - If we are on a long trip and were to have an issue with the RFT tire and we drove to a shop but they couldn't get replacement RFT for a few days, would we be able to put on a Non RFT to replace the tire and how long could we leave that on? What is impact of driving with 3 RFT and 1 Non RFT?

I appreciate your feedback on this topic so I can have peace of mind with my ordering decision.

Thanks.
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Order spare tire, very easy to remove. I have non runflats, keep spare in. Plenty of trunk room.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

I just took runflats off primarily as the ride on the 759i 20s was terrible.

I don't always have the boot that full so just ordered a 19 inch space saver. The scissor jack will sit inside the wheel so it won't take up too much space.

The oem kit is a nice solution too.

As an aside the PS4s tyres provide almost a blanket of insulation from the poor roads in Ireland.

I wish I hadn't wasted over a year on the runflats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
carbo56
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550

For $150, the space saver spare is a bargain for what you get, i.e. the wheel, tire, jack, tools.... You will loose about 4-6 inches of vertical space, but you can always remove it for local use - not hard to do. I didn't have it in my 2018 M550, but I got it in my 2021, and I don't have an issue with the reduced truck space. In reality, the 5 series trunk is not exactly spacious to begin with, so its no big deal to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
goat milk
Private
Rep
Drives: g30 LCI

Ordered the kit for $150. Was surprised how much space I lost. Going to take out the cartridge and spare soon and keep it in the garage. I need the trunk space.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #6
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

luv2cruise Take a look at these pics I just took. Hope they will help you get an idea of the trunk space with the spare.

I only took out one, but both of these "cartridges" seem removable. Even with both gone the floor wont be flat with the folded seats. In other words don't think you can remove them and the trunk will look like a regular trunk with no spare.

I only carry groceries in the trunk so it works for me, but you will most definitely lose trunk space. I did not have a spare in my 2018 540xi. I never again want to experience a 40 mile drive on a RFT with no air.

Name:  seats.JPG
Views: 1695
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  t1.JPG
Views: 1602
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  tire.JPG
Views: 1616
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  tire_no_cover.JPG
Views: 1601
Size:  62.1 KB
      01-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Get it. I’ve used mine 2x. Best 150 bucks I ever Spent.

Last edited by jsf721; 01-21-2021 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
luv2cruise Take a look at these pics I just took. Hope they will help you get an idea of the trunk space with the spare.

I only took out one, but both of these "cartridges" seem removable. Even with both gone the floor wont be flat with the folded seats. In other words don't think you can remove them and the trunk will look like a regular trunk with no spare.

I only carry groceries in the trunk so it works for me, but you will most definitely lose trunk space. I did not have a spare in my 2018 540xi. I never again want to experience a 40 mile drive on a RFT with no air.

Attachment 2510719

Attachment 2510720

Attachment 2510721

Attachment 2510722
Thanks for the pics, this gives me a good perspective. Since I'm new to RFT I am worried about how durable and likely I am to have a tire problem. I haven't had a tire problem in well over 15 years that I can recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Get it. I’ve used mine 2x. Best 150 bucks I ever d
Spent.
Interesting, I haven't had a tire issue in over 15 years, but I don't know how durable the RFT are. I kind of hate to give up the trunk space with what little there is in the first place. I'm coming out of a mid size SUV Acura so hard to even give up what I am.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #10
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

2 moon craters.

I have wheel and tire insurance. Changed myself once bc I was in a safe place and did not want to wait. The other time was on parkway. Used roadside to swap out.

Quote:
Interesting, I haven't had a tire issue in over 15 years, but I don't know how durable the RFT are. I kind of hate to give up the trunk space with what little there is in the first place. I'm coming out of a mid size SUV Acura so hard to even give up what I am.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
2 moon craters.

I have wheel and tire insurance. Changed myself once bc I was in a safe place and did not want to wait. The other time was on parkway. Used roadside to swap out.
Does anyone have pics of the trunk of 20 or 21 530/540 without the space saver spare? I failed to look at the trunk when I was at the dealer (shame on me) so want to compare to the pics above in this thread that COBodom took.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

Attachment 2510719

Attachment 2510720

Attachment 2510721

Attachment 2510722
I wonder why BMW didn’t do the fold down thing the 530e has here. Then you could access that “cartridge” space better.

Looks like from these pictures the spare tire kit makes the trunk as small as a 530e.

What was the RFT experience you had?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 2510719

Attachment 2510720

Attachment 2510721

Attachment 2510722
So it looks like when you take out the two cartridges, that you have that extra space underneath that carpeted floor board. Does the floorboard then remain at the same level that it would as if the spare tire was in there?

I assume if you don't get the spare tire kit then that floorboard is lowered and it is flat directly above where the battery is then.

Thanks again for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #14
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

For an extra $150 it's a no-brainer. You can always take it out and keep it aside if you need the trunk space. If you ever change to non run flats in the future, you will have the spare available. Buying it afterwards on its own is around $900.

That being said, I have non run flats and the spare tire on my M550i. I have never needed the trunk space where I had to remove the set up. I did remove it once to see how it worked and it's a quick and easy removal and reinstall. Around 5 minutes to take it apart and put it back together.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
jaylazy2020
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat milk View Post
Ordered the kit for $150. Was surprised how much space I lost. Going to take out the cartridge and spare soon and keep it in the garage. I need the trunk space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat milk View Post

Do mind me asking where you got the kit for $150?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #16
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So it looks like when you take out the two cartridges, that you have that extra space underneath that carpeted floor board. Does the floorboard then remain at the same level that it would as if the spare tire was in there?

I assume if you don't get the spare tire kit then that floorboard is lowered and it is flat directly above where the battery is then.

Thanks again for your reply.
No, once you take the spare tire set up out, the floorboard will be lowered about 6 inches. I will take some pictures with the tire and without it and post little later.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK, here you go.

With the spare tire installed:

Spare set up removed

As you can see, when you remove the spare, the floorboard drops about 6 inches towards the opening of the trunk and closer to 8 inches on the inside. And with the seats down, the floor and seatbacks are level, although the seats do tilt up several inches.
Appreciate 4
      01-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #18
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
OK, here you go.

With the spare tire installed:

Spare set up removed

As you can see, when you remove the spare, the floorboard drops about 6 inches towards the opening of the trunk and closer to 8 inches on the inside. And with the seats down, the floor and seatbacks are level, although the seats do tilt up several inches.
What year and model is that please? Those are great pictures and exactly what I needed to see
Appreciate 1
admranger2981.50
      01-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #19
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

If you're stressing about the trunk space keep in mind that whole $150 kit is removable. The lid of the spare kit becomes the floor of your trunk. You can keep the kit in your garage if you're running RFT's. Put the kit back in when your running some nice Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The thing is if you decide you want the spare kit after the fact it's gonna cost you probably $700 to $900. Really a total no brainer to option the spare kit if your doing an ordered car. Never gonna use the spare kit- put it on eBay and quadruple your $150 investment.

Note: Fitment of rubber trunk mats are different with the kit installed. Weathertech makes a mat for the top of the kit when installed- see their ordering guide. With the kit out you can use the OEM rubber trunk liner from BMW, or get the standard Weathertech liner made for cars with no kit.
      01-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #20
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

MauiSteve/Skyrider:

Yes I'm starting to get a much clearer idea of how this works - in that the lid of the spare kit is used as the cover when you take the kit out. I agree it's worth the $150 out and sounds easy enough to remove (and it's in the manual) so I can keep it out when I'm local, but put it in on longer trips across country.

The pictures Skyrider posted showed EXACTLY what I was looking for. I don't know if the trunk configuration of the M550 vs 540i would be the same, but I can't see why that part of it would change with the kit and lid for it.

You both have been very helpful.

Though, I'd much rather be driving my upcoming new car on Maui up to Haleakala than on the roads around here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #21
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What year and model is that please? Those are great pictures and exactly what I needed to see
2019 M550i.
Thanks! Glad to be of help and if you have any more questions let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
luv2cruise
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Quote:
2019 M550i.
Thanks! Glad to be of help and if you have any more questions let me know.
Would you agree that the trunk configuration in the m550 and 540i would be developed in the same way, meaning the cover would fit even if the kit was removed as you have showed in your excellent pictures?
Appreciate 0