BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Intake question.

08-21-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
BLC85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Intake question.

Hello everyone, I have a 2017 540I and recently purchased the JB+. I am not looking to go down the rabbit hole chasing power sadly as my wife drives the car more than I do. However I am planning a res delete and looking into maybe the Bms intake and ftp intake pipe (just want to hear the turbo honestly). For you experienced tuners out there is that combo worth it?

I saw a older thread where members stated the hood hit the intake with the two combined. However I would much rather save the hundred and something dollar difference purchasing this combo over the MST. Just looking for some insight
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #2
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

Yea its worth it. I run the bms intake currently. Didnt add in the ftp pipe but have heard it sounds a lot better with it.
Debating if i get the mst intake and sell the bms.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
BLC851.50
      08-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #3
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I've ran the BMS intake alone, I've ran it with the FTP lower intake pipe, and I now currently run the MST intake.

The BMS alone is nice, it fits well and you can hear some sound.

BMS with FTP intake pipe raised the BMS filter up high enough to leave an indentation on the underside of the fire barrier under the hood.

The MST fits nicely, but it cannot be combined with the FTP lower intake pipe. Instead I mated it to a Dynamic Autowerx (DAW) turbo inlet pipe.

Between the 2 setups I felt that the BMS/FTP combo was more free flowing. The MST is nice in that it has a heat shield. I think the design of the filter is what limits the MST intake compared to the BMS. Also, the BMS/FTP combo had more turbo noise.

Intake, res delete, and JB+ will be a fun and easy on the Mrs. Don't expect to hear too much of an exhaust note, unless you roll your windows down.
Appreciate 2
I3LaZeN507.50
BLC851.50