BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Share your Covid vaccination experiences *** No Politics ***

04-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #595
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Yep. I got my first dose so I am semi protected as of now. I am not anti-vax but I am certainly anti wasting time in line. If they want to get serious about getting everyone jabbed they need to get better organized.
LMAO @ "but I am certainly anti wasting time"

As am I - about almost everything. Rarely a line I will EVER stand in.

I'm stealing this line............
      04-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #596
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
Second shot yesterday, hit me hard this morning. Headache, fever (101), body aches, sore arm.

To be clear, this is what we wanted to happen. It doesn't feel good, but it's what's needed to ensure our immune system responds and we have antibodies.
Just a qualifier if you DONT have a strong response doesn't mean there is a problem. Everyone's immune response is different. I plowed through my second without issue and I am certain I didnt accidentally get saline.
Appreciate 4
Esteban6147.50
vreihen164404.50
wdb2786.00
jmg10651.50
      04-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #597
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Just a qualifier if you DONT have a strong response doesn't mean there is a problem. Everyone's immune response is different. I plowed through my second without issue and I am certain I didnt accidentally get saline.
^^ This ^^

Just because a person didn't have a bad reaction doesn't mean they didn't get the real thing.
Appreciate 1
wdb2786.00
      04-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #598
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Was finally able to get my first shot on Tuesday, Astra Zeneca. Felt like crap the next day, bad headache, and sweaty. Feel 100X better today though.
I thought that one was put on hold?
I don't live in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #599
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I've been wondering about this from a technical aspect. I can only speak about my situation. Overall, my reaction to the shots, which was Pfizer, was mild if at all. The reason why I say if at all is that I do suffer from allergies in a big way and I can't definitively say what I was going through after the shots was due to the shots or allergies. I did get a very sore arm that lasted for days the first time and only had a mild sore arm for a few hours after the second.

So why I say I'm wondering if the shots have been effective with me due to my mild symptoms is that I have been medically monitored ad nauseam due to cancer and heart conditions. My WBC and neutrophil (among other levels tied to my immune system) levels have always been low....sometimes below the lower limit of normal. I also wonder if this is indicative of my health of my immune system in that I did get cancer twice without any genetic or physical/health risks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #600
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I wouldn't suggest that. But, a strong immune response would be a fairly clear indicator that it was effective in your case, and produced antibodies.

It's not 100% effective, nothing ever is...but having a strong immune response is a good indicator it was effective.

If there's any question, getting antibody tested will confirm your results. (and it's no cost out of pocket)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #601
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've been wondering about this from a technical aspect. I can only speak about my situation. Overall, my reaction to the shots, which was Pfizer, was mild if at all. The reason why I say if at all is that I do suffer from allergies in a big way and I can't definitively say what I was going through after the shots was due to the shots or allergies. I did get a very sore arm that lasted for days the first time and only had a mild sore arm for a few hours after the second.

So why I say I'm wondering if the shots have been effective with me due to my mild symptoms is that I have been medically monitored ad nauseam due to cancer and heart conditions. My WBC and neutrophil (among other levels tied to my immune system) levels have always been low....sometimes below the lower limit of normal. I also wonder if this is indicative of my health of my immune system in that I did get cancer twice without any genetic or physical/health risks.
Honestly cancer treatments might be WHY you didnt have strong symptoms, with an attenuated immune system.

The way the vaccine works is it causes your body to create the protein that COVID19 uses to infect cells, that should trigger your immune system to respond. Its not that you are infected, just that your body detects something is up. So it then sends in the troops to check things out. Its either sending in a squad or an army, just depends on your immune system. But either way figuring it out.

For you maybe just wait a bit before you start making out with random strangers so it has time to propagate through the entire lymphatic system.

One of the counterintuitive things we saw with novel infections like this (and moreso H1N1) was some cases where having a (slightly) weaker immune system was a benefit. Swine flu was killing a lot of young and healthy people because it would cause a cytokine storm, basically a feedback loop of the immune system because it didnt have a plan leading to friendly fire. Peoples own immune systems were worse than the initial infection.
Appreciate 1
wdb2786.00
      04-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #602
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga9213 View Post
I wouldn't suggest that. But, a strong immune response would be a fairly clear indicator that it was effective in your case, and produced antibodies.

It's not 100% effective, nothing ever is...but having a strong immune response is a good indicator it was effective.

If there's any question, getting antibody tested will confirm your results. (and it's no cost out of pocket)
Oh yeah Im not saying you were claiming that, Ive just heard mention of some walgreens giving people saline or something and I have had people say they were worried because they didnt react and they hear these people complaining of feeling like dogsh*t after.

In todays climate you feel like you need to constantly reiterate the point because people are so bombarded with BS online. The BS gets repeated because its "interesting" so you have to make sure the truth is repeated just as much to fight the BS for headspace.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #603
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Honestly cancer treatments might be WHY you didnt have strong symptoms, with an attenuated immune system.

The way the vaccine works is it causes your body to create the protein that COVID19 uses to infect cells, that should trigger your immune system to respond. Its not that you are infected, just that your body detects something is up. So it then sends in the troops to check things out. Its either sending in a squad or an army, just depends on your immune system. But either way figuring it out.

For you maybe just wait a bit before you start making out with random strangers so it has time to propagate through the entire lymphatic system.

One of the counterintuitive things we saw with novel infections like this (and moreso H1N1) was some cases where having a (slightly) weaker immune system was a benefit. Swine flu was killing a lot of young and healthy people because it would cause a cytokine storm, basically a feedback loop of the immune system because it didnt have a plan leading to friendly fire. Peoples own immune systems were worse than the initial infection.
Yeah, I don't know if my low counts existed before my cancer diagnosis. I guess the expectation was that my immune system would snap back to "normal" after treatment ended. It's been coming up on 8 years since I had my last chemo treatment. I've been under surveillance since then. I got my second primary about 5 years ago. Caught it at stage 0 so no chemo. But it begs the question about the general state of my immune system where I've had two cancers and whether the vaccine would trigger enough of a response. I guess if I really want to know, I should get an antibody test.

The interesting thing is since going through chemo I haven't really been ill. I used to get colds and flu's. But honestly, I can't remember the last time I really got sick since having cancer other than the occasional feeling off for a day or so and of course my allergies.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #604
ASAP
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Small M Car

Quote:

That's a good call and I've thought about this too... questions is, does the vaccine prevent an over reaction by the immune system?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #605
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
That's a good call and I've thought about this too... questions is, does the vaccine prevent an over reaction by the immune system?
Yes.

The main issue is a failure in the initial response. It would be like not being trained in counterinsurgency and getting ambushed in a village. Guys on roofs, roadside bombs, shots from windows, etc. Your average solider is freaking out and just shooting at everything. Your immune system, with a novel virus its never faced before, is basically the same. "They're everywhere! Nuke it from orbit!"

What the mRNA is doing is like what you see advanced training on TV. Its, in a controlled environment, other marines are trained in how to behave like terrorists and they attack soldiers using the tactics terrorists would use, but with lasers or submunition. Then when they do get ambushed in the real they don't freak out because they know how to respond.

Its all basically the same training, same end result, just different levels of risk.

Easiest to make, attenuated virus = beating up a bunch of terrorists and then sicking marines on them. Marines kill them, learn how to kill them. See their tactics, how they work, how they die. Risk of casualties though.

A bit harder but most common now, inactivated virus = killing a bunch of terroists and then sending in marines to study. Learn what cover they use, weapons they use. They dont learn as quickly how to respond but almost no risk of casualties.

Newest, used to be stupid hard/expensive but now finally getting to the point its feasible, mRNA = Using friendlies to train them on the tactics used. Zero risk of casualties (aka the safest form of vaccine available), very quick to learn those tactics. Only downside is if the tactics change we need to reeducate.

Right now the vaccine ONLY works against this specific spike protein the virus uses to invade our cells. If it changes techniques we will need a booster/annual. The plus side is that is a pretty basic way the virus works and its not as easy for the virus to change that about itself
Appreciate 2
ASAP4129.00
wdb2786.00
      04-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #606
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Reminder - PERSONAL experiences. BP no longer has a politics section. If your post doesn't include you or a close relative getting jabbed, it does not belong on this site or in this extremely valuable thread.

FWIW, my Pfizer #2 is scheduled for next Tuesday. Still no side effects noted from jab #1 after 16 days.....
Dpc2u5274.00
mkoesel7162.00
      04-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #607
bosstones
Major
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
2nd Moderna jab yesterday at ~1700. Did some pushups and light lateral raises last night to see if it had any effect on soreness. Injection site is a little sore but no where near what it was last time.

About 17hrs after the jab, I started feeling a pressure headache (or I'm gonna have a reaaally massive aneurism...which would suck). I never get headaches so I assume it to he related.

Currently feel a little off. Not horrible but enough to be annoying.
Felt cold yesterday afternoon/evening so I bundled up and let myself sleep. Woke up around midnight absolutely roasting from being bundled up, under cover, and my 2 puppers sleeping curled up against me. Pulled off a layer of clothing and didn't feel as cold as earlier; slept the rest of the night.

Arm is not very sore at all....maybe from the shiatsu of my smaller dog stepping on the injection site while adjusting his sleeping position. lol

Still have a pressure headache but not as bad. I'm somewhere btwn chills and roasty (maybe from bundling up) but not like yesterday.

Not experiencing lethargy like others have noted but I'm letting myself sleep if it happens.
      04-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #608
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my daughter had her J&J shot. So far, so good. Not completely out of the woods yet. I know the risk is small. Will feel better when the 30 days has passed.
Appreciate 2
Dpc2u5274.00
wdb2786.00
      04-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #609
Dpc2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I had my 2nd Pfizer shot 2 hours ago and have a little pain in the elbow joint on that side, but otherwise so far so good. My wife had hers this morning and says she feels like she has a buzz like she did some good 60's drugs, but no fever or pain so far. She was down for 24 hours with flu type symptoms after her 1st shot so we shall see!
Appreciate 1
Esteban6147.50
      04-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #610
ryan stewart
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my daughter had her J&J shot. So far, so good. Not completely out of the woods yet. I know the risk is small. Will feel better when the 30 days has passed.
Good luck. Just keep thinking "literally one in a million (actually one in 1.2 million)." Also its about the same time period for efficacy for J&J, so pretend she isn't vaccinated for a month as well.
Appreciate 1
Esteban6147.50
      04-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #611
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Reminder - PERSONAL experiences. BP no longer has a politics section. If your post doesn't include you or a close relative getting jabbed, it does not belong on this site or in this extremely valuable thread.
Good reminder.

Additionally, I would ask that if further attempts are made to derail this thread or to turn it into a debate of any sort, please report those posts so that they can be removed before things get out of hand.

Thanks folks.

** Final Reminder ** This thread is for sharing experiences, and commenting on those being shared. It is not a place for debate about vaccines. I'm not going to lock this thread - it's not fair for those trying to stick to the topic. Instead, more directed measures will be taken to keep the thread on topic.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Appreciate 6
Dpc2u5274.00
wdb2786.00
Esteban6147.50
vreihen164404.50
TiMSport4369.50
GrussGott13649.50
      04-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #612
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

I got my second Moderna shot yesterday. Today my arm is far more sore than the first shot and am experiencing some aches. Nothing too bad but the plan is to take it easy today and tomorrow. If anything, it at least tells me it's working!
Appreciate 3
Dpc2u5274.00
vreihen164404.50
wdb2786.00
      04-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #613
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350

I may have to bite the bullet and just get one of the mrna vaccines since the J&J was hard to find before it got taken off the market and I would imagine even more so if/when it comes back. Seems I can schedule the others anytime I want now. Walgreens has appointments pretty much anytime even as early as tomorrow.

My main reason is because of my work I have to be in a small room with a lot of people like once a month. I've managed to avoid these "events" for the past year but don't think I can put them off any longer.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #614
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I may have to bite the bullet and just get one of the mrna vaccines since the J&J was hard to find before it got taken off the market and I would imagine even more so if/when it comes back. Seems I can schedule the others anytime I want now. Walgreens has appointments pretty much anytime even as early as tomorrow.

My main reason is because of my work I have to be in a small room with a lot of people like once a month. I've managed to avoid these "events" for the past year but don't think I can put them off any longer.
The J&J vaccine is back.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #615
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350

I could not find anywhere to get the J&J specifically even before it got taken off the market. Which is weird because from what I've read it's the easier one to store and what not.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #616
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I could not find anywhere to get the J&J specifically even before it got taken off the market. Which is weird because from what I've read it's the easier one to store and what not.
Yes, I understand. If you've seen my posts above you've seen that the J&J one is what my daughter took. Also for ease of use. That is why I'm watching what goes on with it. Hoping for the best, chances of blood clots are very, very rare.
Appreciate 1